Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 Bike Rack Theft Warning / Question

SteveM

SteveM

VIP Member
As a bit of a warning to all those with genuine T5 bike racks - I came out to my van over the weekend to find that someone had backed off the bolts at the bottom enough to get the latches over the back lights - it was clearly a quick lift away from being stolen. I guess they were either disturbed or because I park backed up to a wall since having my spare wheel stolen there was not quite enough play to pull it out and then off. No wonder there are so many of them on ebay without keys and missing the fourth arm.

Thinking about how it may have been done - with a flexible drive to bend the rotation I reckon even I could get it off in a minute with the boot closed. This is clearly what had happen as the coating on the bottom retaining clips has been damaged.

So there is the warning! now a question, has anyone found a way to secure the bottom bolts. It really is a rubbish design. I was thinking about cutting a hex key and sticking it in there to be level to the top of the bolt head. When I go to sell the van I would drill this out. Better ideas gratefully received!

On the positive side - at least I still have the rack... and having it off I notice a very significant increase in MPG.

Cheers,

Steve.

This issue has been a bit of a worry for me too. The rack is used a lot so I don't want to remove it after every ride.
Any suggestions on a bit of extra security will be gratefully received!

Could probably get a two security bolt with shear heads. Alan key socket part of head shears off when tight leaving a small head with no way to undo it.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

SteveM said:
As a bit of a warning to all those with genuine T5 bike racks - I came out to my van over the weekend to find that someone had backed off the bolts at the bottom enough to get the latches over the back lights - it was clearly a quick lift away from being stolen. I guess they were either disturbed or because I park backed up to a wall since having my spare wheel stolen there was not quite enough play to pull it out and then off. No wonder there are so many of them on ebay without keys and missing the fourth arm.

Thinking about how it may have been done - with a flexible drive to bend the rotation I reckon even I could get it off in a minute with the boot closed. This is clearly what had happen as the coating on the bottom retaining clips has been damaged.

So there is the warning! now a question, has anyone found a way to secure the bottom bolts. It really is a rubbish design. I was thinking about cutting a hex key and sticking it in there to be level to the top of the bolt head. When I go to sell the van I would drill this out. Better ideas gratefully received!

On the positive side - at least I still have the rack... and having it off I notice a very significant increase in MPG.

Cheers,

Steve.

What improvement in mpg do you get with a empty bike rack removed ? Can understand the difference with bikes loaded but had thought that with it folded up and 'hiding behind' the van that it wouldnt make too much of a difference

beardie said:
SteveM said:

Cheers,

Steve.

What improvement in mpg do you get with a empty bike rack removed ? Can understand the difference with bikes loaded but had thought that with it folded up and 'hiding behind' the van that it wouldnt make too much of a difference

If you have ever seen a van or truck on a dusty road you will see the dust (and airflow) curls down tightly behind the vehicle. When the bike rack is fitted it interupts that air flow creating extra drag & has a negative effect on mpg. At a guess it couldmake a difference of 1 or possibly 2 mpg.
I keep meaning to take my bike rack off as it rarely gets used at present.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Not scientific but on my commute home last night I saw 47 for the journey (mine is a 140) ... that is unheard of. I would guess a 2-3 MPG improvement. My longer term average over 2000 miles has suddenly moved from being completely static around 37.2 ish to 37.7 in just a few trips (300 miles?). I do do most of my commute at a decent speed though on the A3 / M25 so probably have more to gain than those driving around town.

As said previously although hidden I think it will create a lot of drag - most obvious if you think about how much the wheel straps flap about.

Steve.

I agree that the design is ridiculous, as surely the first rule of bike rack design would be to make sure you can only remove it if the boot is open. I am not sure how a bolt that breaks off will help, as you would never get the rack off again - not a good solution for me.

I have just fitted my rack back on and intended to leave it on for a few weeks, as it is a right faff to have to fit that as well as the bikes if you just want a quick family bike ride. Before you ask, I don't trust my 5 year old on the country lanes around our village yet, so we need the van to get to a safe starting point!

I am interested to hear how others get on when taking the rack camping. We tend to drive around a bit, rather than just park up and stay on a site, so it makes no sense to try to squeeze into a parking space or carpark with a full bike rack on the back. Do you leave your bikes locked up on site somewhere?

Simon

Sorry to hear your hassle.

Anti-tamper bolts...although the low life scum prob have the correct torx wrench.. :headbang

I've noticed something like 3/4mpg increase in comsumption with the bikes loaded - it is quite significant. I am surprised that the unloaded bike rack would make that much difference though.

I've not had an issue with the bikes on the back when we have parked up although I have picked my spaces quite carefully!

Has anyone done the exercise of removing the rack to compare before and after consumption?

I'm intrigued. I didn't think it would affect it much as it is a low pressure area etc. I mentioned it to a friend that is an expert in CFD (computational fluid dynamics; look it up if you are of a tech bias - fascinating stuff..) he explained how despite the fact that the air behind the van is 'dirty' or low pressure that a number of small vortices (each vortex will come with inherent drag) will build up and a number of small vortices can become strengthened and effectively create larger ones that will effect wake recovery (or the way that the air comes back together after the van has passed through)

We drove a 600 mile round trip for an afternoon and night in Falmouth last weekend. I should have taken the rack off...!! :cool:

Still seeing a massive improvement with it off ... I stick by my original thought that it is worth at least a couple MPG. Interested as well in others experiences - over to someone else to try it!

Steve.

I do a regular 100 mile A and B road trip and the bike rack has made no significant difference to the 34 mpg I get out of my 180 DSG on that trip.

I had my Fiamma 4 bike rack stolen off the back of my T4 in broad daylight, when parked next to Hackney gardens... it does happen!

I don't leave my OEM rack on the Van full time any more.....I have made a wall rack out of a series of shelf brackets for the garage and have gotten fitting and removal down to a fine art. At the end of the day it will increase fuel economy by taking it off.....no debate, by how much is the debate, forget the aerodynamic argument and just focus on the weight of the thing!

I was more bothered about the theft issue, when you become well rehearsed at fitting and removal you see just how easy theft of the rack actually is. I am like to swap to a ball hitch mounted rack instead.......

I always took my VW rack off after use. After a few tries you develop a technique so it takes only a few minutes and it is not hugely heavy. Probably less trouble than putting a bike on the rack. I used to hang it on two nails in the garage wall.
However, we've now moved to an Altera on the tow ball, more secure I think, and easier to put the bikes on.