Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike cover on towbar rack

N

NZCol

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We pretty much always have 2 or 3 bikes on our towbar rack (Atera Strada - v v good). At the weekend the van next to us had a cover on their bike rack and it got me thinking that it might be a good idea. I did a bit of googling and found some options but was wondering if anyone had used a cover and any recommendations. Key reasons are to keep prying eyes off what they are and also to stop them getting to covered in filth on the road (yes I know they get dirty riding).

I have been looking as well for another bike cover for my thule rack for the same reasons as you. I already have one but to be honest its rubbish, it bellows and flaps on the rack even with bungee cords and ratchet straps.
On looking I've found this http://www.bagsandcoversdirect.co.uk/view-product/2-Bike-Cover-With-A-Drawstring but the dimensions look a bit to small its maybe for a two bike rack, there is an option though to do a made to measure size so when time allows i load the bikes on my rack and take some measurements and see if they would do a bespoke cover. I like the idea of the drawstring but would also prefer it with some velcro tabs or eyelets along the bottom as well.

Hi, I was looking too. The Fiamma one looks flimsy and I found a couple of owner reviews saying theirs ripped in the wind. I have seen one that looks pretty tough from Taylormade.Co. UK. Only disadvantage I think is it blocks rear view when driving. like to know what others have found.
:)

We've got a taylormade on our Atera. We opted for the electric bike version which is a bit bigger. I bought 10 meters of shock cord off eBay which I wrap around to keep it nice and tight etc. Very good..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Cool. Was thinking of the Fiamma but will take a look at the Taylormade.

Based on the size of my XL 29ers I think I will need the electric bike version.

I used a fiamma cover on the bikes when we had the motorhome - it added a huge amount of drag & affected the fuel consumption by about 15% , It also didn't keep the bikes very clean as due to aerodynamics I presume most of the dirt seemed to come up from below the rack,through the gapes between the wheel holders, for keeping bikes clean you might be better off investing in a pair of mudflats for the rear wheels.