Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 / T6 advice please

I'd personally suggest taking a little time to research before jumping in, especially as going camping most likely isn't a possibility right now.

The difference between a T5 and a T6 isn't that great, but Manual vs DSG that's a big one (search on here)
The difference between Euro 5 and 6 engine NOx/Particulate emissions is significant and will result in many more areas being off-limits for T5 California's in the future, probably.

T6 because:

• Euro 6 = allowed more places
  • 10 BHP more
  • 2 years younger = 2 years less rust
  • Easier to sell (T5 doesn't have the best reputation)
  • In Denmark T6 has lower road taxes due to MPG

Lol, what exactly do you think the T6 and T6.1 are?
From my research before I bought: T5 is a gamble. Both the gearbox and the old 2.5l engine seems to troublesome, and even though this T5 (actually a T5.1 I presume) has new gearbox and engine, prices might be affected in the future. Even though T6 (and T6.1) can have problems, I would choose it any day over a T5. Future will show if it's justified.

I own a T6, only a year old (25.000km) and it came with a couple of faults related to bad assembly, but no problems (yet) after they were solved.

I have my T5.1 for 10 years.
I only had 2 major problems: 1. EGR valve, 2. right drive shaft lost it's teeth.

Nothing big apart from that.
So why would a T5, T5.1 be worth less?
At least we will have no problems with AdBlue.

Apart from engine and gearbox, the range of T5 (up to the T6.1) are all the same van. Just some minor or major cosmetic changes.
And every engine or gearbox can have it's own problems, but they will not show up on every car.

If it is the 3rd vehicle, only used in the summer and not outside the U.K. then the T5.
However if you plan on using it all year round and touring a Europe then it might be advantageous having the Euro 6 engine.
Remember there are certain service items that are time/or milage sensitive so factor that into your decision.
Cambelt 4yrs or 80,000 miles. DSG oil change etc.
No Cambelt to adjust on the T5, it hasn't got one!, On the 2.5 there is no timing belt or timing chain. Its gear driven.You may need to change the gate couplings that run the power steering and alternator though (mines a 2.5tdi 174 2008)

No Cambelt to adjust on the T5, it hasn't got one!, On the 2.5 there is no timing belt or timing chain. Its gear driven.You may need to change the gate couplings that run the power steering and alternator though (mines a 2.5tdi 174 2008)
I presumed as the OP was comparing T5 and T6 and was a newcomer then he didn't realise there was a T5 and a T5.1 with different engines. So my suggestion about the Cambelt was justified as he was probably referring to a T5.1 and both vehicles were ex-hire vehicles so very unlikely to be a 10 yr old T5.

I have my T5.1 for 10 years.
I only had 2 major problems: 1. EGR valve, 2. right drive shaft lost it's teeth.

Nothing big apart from that.
So why would a T5, T5.1 be worth less?
At least we will have no problems with AdBlue.

Apart from engine and gearbox, the range of T5 (up to the T6.1) are all the same van. Just some minor or major cosmetic changes.
And every engine or gearbox can have it's own problems, but they will not show up on every car.
Because people don't buy based on your experiences but on general reputation - and when i searched for information before I bought, T5 looked like a gamble. Combined with higher taxes, Euro norm (and the limitations that follows), we decided to buy a T6.

Problems with AdBlue? I've just filled the tank for the third time (after 25.000km) - easy as putting on diesel - and cheap.

I presumed as the OP was comparing T5 and T6 and was a newcomer then he didn't realise there was a T5 and a T5.1 with different engines. So my suggestion about the Cambelt was justified as he was probably referring to a T5.1 and both vehicles were ex-hire vehicles so very unlikely to be a 10 yr old T5.

Correct, the vehicle in question as the OP clarified is on a 14 plate so a T5.1 (which as WG says does have a timing belt).

Nothing wrong the T5.1 unless they are early (2010-2012) 180bhp ones, which *may* have an issue.

I’d say all the T5.1 140bhp have a great reputation for being reliable.

Personally I’d prefer a DSG, well wish I’d had one when we lived in Devon, frequent changes up and down. Not so bad in Brighton.

Given the choice and if I could afford it of course I’d prefer the T6 but not really worth upgrading

Last edited:
The more environmental stuff is mounted onto an engine, the more problems you can have.
So for me, adding AdBlue to an engine is just another problem that can be caused.
Like I said, the problem I had with the engine was something they added from the T5 to the T5.1: an EGR combi cooler/valve. Without that environmental thing, I would not have had any problems with my engine.
The problems that can occur on the T6 and upwards, is all the same as the older engines, plus the extra that is mounted on the engine. So in my opinion, the T6 and upwards will be less reliable than mine, and mine could be less reliable than the T5.
So I don't relly know where you get the less reliable part from?

Trying compare the reliability of a T6 (which average 2 years old ) with a T5 (which average 13 years old) is rather illogical. Come back in another 11 years and we'll see how the T6 has done.

I decided on a T6 Ocean Auto 204. Wont get it for a few weeks due to the lockdown but very excited about it

Congratulations Dave. T5(.1) or T6; it would have been a great choice either way. They are both VW Cali's. Hope the couple of weeks fly by and you'll be enjoying it soon enough, even if it will mostly be on your drive ;-)

And hey, you're already in Scotland! So the happy day's can start:)

Back