Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 150 DSG MY20 engine cutting out on motorway !!

My MY20 T6.1 California Ocean 150 DSG cut out twice yesterday on the motorway. I was travelling about 70mph when it just cut out without warning, a warning message advised to 'restart engine manually'. Obviously I couldn't restart whilst moving as would have to select 'Park'. It was very scary trying to get to the hard shoulder....... It started up first time on both occasions. My local VW Van Centre has said they can't get the van in for 3 weeks !!! No help offered at all ?
1. Does anyone know of this problem ?
2. What are my rights ? I do not want to drive it as it is as it's dangerous. Should VW provide a replacement vehicle whilst I'm waiting ? It's still within the standard warranty although I do have the extended 5 year warranty. Thanks

Hi I have the self same issue on my 199 bhp Cali ocean did it on a1 from Berwick on tweed fortunately I were on inside lane managed to cruise to hard shoulder this happen twice same journey when I arrived home I checked with vag com no faults shown this issue needs finding it’s extremely dangerous this is not a one off I’m hearing this happening all over there seems to be no 100% remedy this seems to happen in d drive overrun tends to be down hill but it’s no way can any other than hard shoulder happen into park restart this issue needs serious vw attention it’s extremely dangerous there are no faults registerd on vag com or in the gearbox

Hi I have the self same issue on my 199 bhp Cali ocean did it on a1 from Berwick on tweed fortunately I were on inside lane managed to cruise to hard shoulder this happen twice same journey when I arrived home I checked with vag com no faults shown this issue needs finding it’s extremely dangerous this is not a one off I’m hearing this happening all over there seems to be no 100% remedy this seems to happen in d drive overrun tends to be down hill but it’s no way can any other than hard shoulder happen into park restart this issue needs serious vw attention it’s extremely dangerous there are no faults registerd on vag com or in the gearbox
It sounds very scary.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/cutting-out.33632/ Post 8 is helpful. Have you taken yours in for diagnostics?

Wow . Starts off with the van cutting out and ends up discussing 'daisy chaining' . I really must read every thread fully .

My MY20 T6.1 California Ocean 150 DSG cut out twice yesterday on the motorway. I was travelling about 70mph when it just cut out without warning, a warning message advised to 'restart engine manually'. Obviously I couldn't restart whilst moving as would have to select 'Park'. It was very scary trying to get to the hard shoulder....... It started up first time on both occasions. My local VW Van Centre has said they can't get the van in for 3 weeks !!! No help offered at all ?
1. Does anyone know of this problem ?
2. What are my rights ? I do not want to drive it as it is as it's dangerous. Should VW provide a replacement vehicle whilst I'm waiting ? It's still within the standard warranty although I do have the extended 5 year warranty. Thanks
This just happened to me tonight on my 2020 Ocean T6 150 DSG.
I felt the steering stiffen (because the servo assistance obviously stopped) and so I noticed the message with the start/stop icon telling me to 'manually restart engine'.
It was very scary to have to stop - there was heavy traffic and I could not reach the hard shoulder. Hazard lights on and thankfully no one crashed into me.
Glad to have found this thread. Let's see if I will get VW to attend to my Cali

This just happened to me tonight on my 2020 Ocean T6 150 DSG.
I felt the steering stiffen (because the servo assistance obviously stopped) and so I noticed the message with the start/stop icon telling me to 'manually restart engine'.
It was very scary to have to stop - there was heavy traffic and I could not reach the hard shoulder. Hazard lights on and thankfully no one crashed into me.
Glad to have found this thread. Let's see if I will get VW to attend to my Cali

Just read your message this happens to mine all the time and i guess you had the same thoughts as me ive not returned mine to vw az yet until more came to light ive basically pinned it down if the stop start is turned off it dosent happen mine is the 199 dsg everywhere i go now i switch the stop start off i would say its one of the most frightening experiences ive had the day i brought my cali home it did it and its happend too many times its a killer in my opinion vw dont seem to have a clue peter

Update - Spoke with two dealerships - problem unheard of - so I have now called VW Assist and they will send someone

Update - Spoke with two dealerships - problem unheard of - so I have now called VW Assist and they will send someone
Hi ive had this issue as u say for sometime its logged with vw they wanted my vehicle for 2 weeks exploratory which to be honest i declined they had no idea so ive spent the last fee w months nailing it down as close as i can travelling around 70 mph on a motorway if you are going downhill slightly it goes to e drive freewheeling this is when it happens Its as if it thinks your stood ideling and your not so when im on a trip anywhere i turn stop start off vw know i have this issue but said no one else has made this complaint i wasnt prepared for vw to turn my van upsidedown looking for something without further proof so use my information as i feel its such a deadly fault it happend about 7 times now the steering is so heavy its hard to control god help if your in the outside lane of a motorway ps ive heard similar stories from t6 forum ! This may take some sorting let me know how you fair peter

VW assist guy well prepared.
From my description he thought of the fuel pressure sensor ... confirmed by plugging in his laptop.
So sensor to be replaced (under warranty) and the replacement is a new design. Fingers xd problem may be solved

Well lets hope it is the problem theres no fault comes up on the van i have vcds and the rest of them and doesnt register any fault code so lets hope its a fuel pressure issue

The VW guy said that I should have been able to restart the engine without having to stop to get into P - Neutral while rolling should have been doable. And less dangerous on the motorway

Had this with a new golf diesel many years ago . Intermittent and very scary . Turned out to be engine earth strap fault .

Back