Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Ocean sensors off in Camping mode

From the T6.1 manual which I have now re-read a couple of times I will paraphrase:

Firstly lets check we have the terminology correct.
If the van is SAFELOCKed it means that the doors are deadlocked, internal handles disabled & antitheft & interior alarms are set.

One press on the lock button of the key fob Safelocks the van

Pressing the lock button of the key fob twice deactivates Safelock. Doors are locked but openable from inside, Anti theft alarm is activated, interior monitoring is deactivated

On early T6.1 vans there is a switch on the B pillar on later vans this is function is accessed by the control panel, the purpose of this switch is to switch off the interior monitoring system and anti tow alarm.
To operate it suggests: open the drivers door, press the button, close doors, lock using the key.

Whilst this would suggest that all that the button does is turn off the interior sensors, there is a note elsewhere in the manual that "The SAFELOCK is also deactivated when the interior monitoring is switched off" If thats the case, all its doing is replicating the double press of the key fob.

It Doesn't make sense, you should be able to deadlock without the interior alarm being set.

Its too late now to start setting off the alarm but I will have a play tomorrow.

From the T6.1 manual which I have now re-read a couple of times I will paraphrase:

Firstly lets check we have the terminology correct.
If the van is SAFELOCKed it means that the doors are deadlocked, internal handles disabled & antitheft & interior alarms are set.

One press on the lock button of the key fob Safelocks the van

Pressing the lock button of the key fob twice deactivates Safelock. Doors are locked but openable from inside, Anti theft alarm is activated, interior monitoring is deactivated

On early T6.1 vans there is a switch on the B pillar on later vans this is function is accessed by the control panel, the purpose of this switch is to switch off the interior monitoring system and anti tow alarm.
To operate it suggests: open the drivers door, press the button, close doors, lock using the key.

Whilst this would suggest that all that the button does is turn off the interior sensors, there is a note elsewhere in the manual that "The SAFELOCK is also deactivated when the interior monitoring is switched off" If thats the case, all its doing is replicating the double press of the key fob.

It Doesn't make sense, you should be able to deadlock without the interior alarm being set.

Its too late now to start setting off the alarm but I will have a play tomorrow.
But surely if you are camping, want to be able lock the van from inside without alarms or deadlocks so you can get out of the sliding door without having to find the key? I’m confused now what is the correct procedure for that (on a later T6.1 without the B pillar button).

But surely if you are camping, want to be able lock the van from inside without alarms or deadlocks so you can get out of the sliding door without having to find the key? I’m confused now what is the correct procedure for that (on a later T6.1 without the B pillar button).

For locking from the inside you use the central locking button on the top of the drivers door. That doesn't deadlock - ie interior handles still work & no alarm sensors set.

The B pillar button is for use when you want to leave the van locked from the outside without setting the interior alarm sensors.

What we are not 100% sure of yet is if you went out for the day with the roof up, how do you deadlock but leave the interior alarm off?

Right just been out & set off the alarm a couple of times for the good of this forum.

Double press of key does leave alarm sensor off and doors able to be opened from the inside.

single press of key leaves deadlocks on & alarm set

pressing B pillar button followed by a single press on the key gives exactly the same as a double press on the key.

B pillar press only works for that operation of locking, it needs pressing again to work again.
This is a major step back from the T5.1 where you could press & leave the B pillar button set & the van would deadlock but leave the internal sensors off.

looking at the positioning of the sensors, I don't think any movement in the pop up roof space would set the alarm off.

Right just been out & set off the alarm a couple of times for the good of this forum.

Double press of key does leave alarm sensor off and doors able to be opened from the inside.

single press of key leaves deadlocks on & alarm set

pressing B pillar button followed by a single press on the key gives exactly the same as a double press on the key.

B pillar press only works for that operation of locking, it needs pressing again to work again.
This is a major step back from the T5.1 where you could press & leave the B pillar button set & the van would deadlock but leave the internal sensors off.

looking at the positioning of the sensors, I don't think any movement in the pop up roof space would set the alarm off.
Not sure I understand the purpose of the B pillar button, when you can do it with a double press of the fob, or if inside the van by pressing the lock button by the drivers wing mirror...

Not sure I understand the purpose of the B pillar button, when you can do it with a double press of the fob, or if inside the van by pressing the lock button by the drivers wing mirror...
I think the button is just there to fill the hole in the B pillar. As I said above it had a proper use on a T5.1, now it is useless.
I would be interested to see how it works for those that use the overhead console rather than the button.

I think the button is just there to fill the hole in the B pillar. As I said above it had a proper use on a T5.1, now it is useless.
I would be interested to see how it works for those that use the overhead console rather than the button.
When you do double press the fob, is there a different signal from a single press (eg from an indicator flash) to confirm that the van is locked AND the sensors off?

When you do double press the fob, is there a different signal from a single press (eg from an indicator flash) to confirm that the van is locked AND the sensors off?
It's the operation of the LED on top of the door that tells you the difference.

It's the operation of the LED on top of the door that tells you the difference.
Can you explain that a bit more @Loz as I think there are differences in latest T6.1 models... where is the LED you are referring to?

One pic (second as they appear) showing NO button or LED light in T6.1 door.
Second pic, sadly, not showing where the red LED light shows when locking on my T6.1.

62E86FEB-402A-4915-9E49-49DC0FF5DA27.jpeg

4C1A33DD-A1DD-41B0-BF33-C66F981AC731.jpeg

Does any of those functions change when a Camping mode is activated on a Control panel?

Here you go, the door switch unit on a MY21 T6.1.
See the lower button with the little man! I guess this replaces the T6 B pillar switch.

ABE5188C-C290-4F24-A508-0AE806E136AE.jpeg

There's a clear pic of an LED that could flash. :thumb
Ooh thanks...
now if you can read the manual of the T6.1 that does not have the B pillar switch
Or any info on the key fob (as far as I can find).
Then we are all awaiting your feedback on how to deactivate motion sensors whilst the van is locked. Without having to go in the van and access several screens to switch it off every time...
We wi be annoying campsites everywhere...

Ooh thanks...
now if you can read the manual of the T6.1 that does not have the B pillar switch
Or any info on the key fob (as far as I can find).
Then we are all awaiting your feedback on how to deactivate motion sensors whilst the van is locked. Without having to go in the van and access several screens to switch it off every time...
We wi be annoying campsites everywhere...
Told you how above. Double press on the key fob.

What we can’t work out is how to deactivate the sensors without turning off the deadlocks.

Told you how above. Double press on the key fob.

What we can’t work out is how to deactivate the sensors without turning off the deadlocks.
There is nothing in the T6.1 Manual that suggests this. Hence the question.

From the manual

4AD43E95-D4C8-463C-AB57-520B30016297.jpeg

C567A441-8BAF-4386-B4C2-B4BA65FA394E.jpeg

D330A8BF-7009-4170-B03C-07B07CE44766.jpeg

There is nothing in the T6.1 Manual that suggests this. Hence the question.

I paraphrased the relevant bits out of the T6.1 manual last night.
I’m guessing you are looking in the California supplement? You need to look in the main manual.

The pages you have shown above confirm again that deadlocking ie safe lock is turned off when the sensors are deactivated.

To test just go and sit in the van. Press lock on the key twice, if you can still open the door from inside you have disabled safe locking and sensors.

Absolutely no point in going into menus to set anything when a double press on the key does the same thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
I paraphrased the relevant bits out of the T6.1 manual last night.
I’m guessing you are looking in the California supplement? You need to look in the main manual.

The pages you have shown above confirm again that deadlocking ie safe lock is turned off when the sensors are deactivated.

To test just go and sit in the van. Press lock on the key twice, if you can still open the door from inside you have disabled safe locking and sensors.

Absolutely no point in going into menus to set anything when a double press on the key does the same thing.
I’m looking in both manuals. T6.1 without the B pillar button.
Yes will try that. Thank you.