Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 with no problems

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Evening all T6.1 Ocean and Beach owners. There’s lots of posts regarding various problems encountered on new vans which is obviously a concern to people waiting to take delivery and for people deliberating on whether to buy one. We rarely hear from members who have T6.1’s who are happy with their vans and who have had no problems. So, are you out there? Would be great to know how long you’ve enjoyed trouble free Cali 6.1 life.

I picked up my 6.1 in March and it’s been absolutely trouble free
Only an infotainment update needed like most modern day tech,the van has been absolutely perfect and a pleasure to own.
I have sold it now to make way for a bigger van but I’m definitely one of the happy ones no issues whatsoever
Bring on the 6.1s
Happy camping!!!!

Basically ALL vehicles have problems,some have more than others, it the luck of the draw unfortunately, Cars/vehicles are way more complicated than they’ve ever been,Things go wrong, it doesn’t matter what make or what model, It’s best not to worry, You could end up with one that only has routine servicing for its entire life,
If you like something buy it , We have endless issues with the new EV’s ,

you are right, you only hear about the bad ones, when really there are more good one’s out there.

Got mine last week. 2 big drives and one night camping. No problems to report.
I need to test canvas in the rain though. I’ve read a few posts about people complaining about it leaking and others saying this is to expected in heavy rain. Assuming you don’t touch the sides I don’t think that is acceptable. I’ve been camping in several tents for many years and none of them have leaked so would expect same performance from the bellows.

Basically ALL vehicles have problems,some have more than others, it the luck of the draw unfortunately, Cars/vehicles are way more complicated than they’ve ever been,Things go wrong, it doesn’t matter what make or what model, It’s best not to worry, You could end up with one that only has routine servicing for its entire life,
If you like something buy it , We have endless issues with the new EV’s ,

you are right, you only hear about the bad ones, when really there are more good one’s out there.
I get that v-tec and I have bought an Ocean (enroute to me from the factory as we speak). Just be nice to hear from people who’ve had no problems for a bit of balance.

The new 6.1 canvas is the best yet and you do not get the wicking due to the material it’s made from
Is there a treatment to improve the bellows performance in driving rain?
Or don’t they need one?
I have read that you should expect some ingress on early wet camping trips, but that the fibres swell and the leaks stop. I was disappointed to read that as you’d think VW would pre-treat the canvas if that was the case.

Or don’t they need one?
I have read that you should expect some ingress on early wet camping trips, but that the fibres swell and the leaks stop. I was disappointed to read that as you’d think VW would pre-treat the canvas if that was the case.
This is only with the early cotton type bellows

Or don’t they need one?
I’ve visited the factory, and the bellows get a thorough dousing to check for water tightness. If there was any swelling of fibres, this would do it, but as the above post says, the material on the T6 is different to the T5

Picked our Ocean up in January 2019 and apart from incorrect tyre pressures (dealer PDI fault)we have had no issues. We are absolutely delighted with the build quality , ride and mpg . I'm not going to harp on but The Ocean as a whole is very well built, try a big white then you will see the quality and durability of the VW range.

I know the title over the door states 6.1 but T6 ... 3 years, 31,000 miles, closing in on 280 nights habitation, nothing outside routine service except rodent damage. No water ingress, even in heavy driving rain. Fabulous vehicle.

We picked ours up around May and have done 8k km and 30 ish nights about 10 of those nights were in rain (some torrential, driving rain!!) and no issues so far except the car will not connect to my phone after the engine battery went flat (this was to be expected given the circumstances) but I'm sure it will be fixed easy enough by a reset/the upgrade - just haven't got round to it.

The leisure battery even lasted over 100 hours while parked up with fridge on and lights at night etc!

The only slightly annoying thing is that the buttons to open the doors don't always click into place, but not really an issue! Hopefully it stays this good!

We picked ours up around May and have done 8k km and 30 ish nights about 10 of those nights were in rain (some torrential, driving rain!!) and no issues so far except the car will not connect to my phone after the engine battery went flat (this was to be expected given the circumstances) but I'm sure it will be fixed easy enough by a reset/the upgrade - just haven't got round to it.

The leisure battery even lasted over 100 hours while parked up with fridge on and lights at night etc!

The only slightly annoying thing is that the buttons to open the doors don't always click into place, but not really an issue! Hopefully it stays this good!
They the metal buttons on the wardrobe doors, and below the sink? I noticed that when I visited VW Colindale, but assumed I'd get the knack when I've lived with the van for a bit...

They the metal buttons on the wardrobe doors, and below the sink? I noticed that when I visited VW Colindale, but assumed I'd get the knack when I've lived with the van for a bit...
Just needs pushing fully home you get a nice click

Nice thread. :thumb
Picked our Two Tone White / Bronze which I’ve just realised is like my favourite drink of Rum and Ice! Up on the 2nd Oct.
Done 1700 miles with not one problem. I am over the moon with it. Driving position, adaptive cruise, touch screen, virtual cockpit, We Connect, steering wheel, arm rests, coffee holder on top of dashboard, big drink holders, able to walk into back, cooler, bed, table, fridge, water, grey water, batteries, pop top. Just love it.
Did average of 26mpg at around 87mph on FR roads.
Doing 31mpg at 77 mph.
Bought a Daren Pucer pop top cover which was excellent for two nights when it hosed it down. Night heater is amazing. Cooking, washing, even a Porta Potti 345 fits between seats and bed setup downstairs. Adjustable led lights are wicked. The double glazed windows make it so quiet. Wanted a California for 30 years. But more so 6 years ago. Great investment compared to a 5 series.
It makes me a better driver. Nice people in other VW Cali / Transporters campers wave and smile. This is from someone who has driven company cars for 27 years. May it continue to be a reliable tool for many, many years.
Only issue I have is dealer is slow in getting my emergency pop top tie down kit to me.
and the doors don’t auto lock,when driving off, even when I’ve set it on. So I’ve set it off. Drove. Locked it. Switched off. Set it in. Switched on and drove it for another 125 miles today.

I switched fridge on about 10 days ago.
just been out to put lock on and the fridge has turned off. Batteries full at 60 hours. Does the fridge Tuen off after 10 day’s ?

• Thread Hijack
Reactions: Sad
I switched fridge on about 10 days ago.
just been out to put lock on and the fridge has turned off. Batteries full at 60 hours. Does the fridge Tuen off after 10 day’s ?
What is the voltage shown. Fridge or Parking Heater will switch Off at a voltage of 11.5 volts.
The Battery capacity you mention, if anything like the old Control Panel calculation is very iffy. Try switching the Control Panel Off then On. Does it still show 60 hrs

and the doors don’t auto lock,when driving off, even when I’ve set it on. So I’ve set it off. Drove. Locked it. Switched off. Set it in. Switched on and drove it for another 125 miles today.
Be careful what you wish for... we were locked out after closing the door with the key turned half on in the ignition to put the roof down... Luckily it was a Sunday in Italy so we didn't smash a window to get in before the battery died and the car unlocked (when the key is turned you cannot use the app to lock/unlock the vehicle).

Just needs pushing fully home you get a nice click
unfortunately not...! if I hit it with about the same force as a hammer it closes - seems the tolerance is a bit off on ours!

I picked up my Cali 2 weeks ago (this is a MY2021) and I have pretty much tested out everything and I am very happy so far.
There are a couple of things you need to be aware of:

As stated, the handles on all the interior sliding doors need gently PUSHING before you try to slide the doors open. I have seen threads where the plastic latches have snapped (especially on hire Calis). I can see how this may happen if the handle is not pushed first.

If you put the the fridge on the Max setting (I did this just for testing) it will freeze drink cans at the bottom of the fridge and make them barrel shaped!! I now run on setting 2 which appears to be about 10 Deg C.

On MY2021 Cali's there is no longer a switch on the B pillar to override the internal alarm monitoring when the vehicle is locked using the key fob (useful for when there are dogs in the car or the windows are slightly open)
The internal monitoring override is now deep in the menu system of the infotainment system!
=> VEHICLE =>Vehicle Settings =>Opening and Closing=>Untick Interior Monitoring.

If you have a trailer connected or a lighting bar for a bike rack and the electrics are connected properly, the circuit is normally protected by the vehicle alarm system and the alarm will sound if the plug is pulled:)
However.... If the lights on the trailer or light board are LED lights (as in a lot of modern systems) then the alarm will not protect! also the trailer assist will not recognise a trailer is connected either!
This may be fixed by adding LED bulbs that have built in resistors or resistor circuits. I will try this at a later date.

There is also one supplied separate key fob for remote on/off of the auxiliary heater which is very useful. You need to make sure that the heater is set to HEAT and not CIRCULATE (default) on the main panel. Also be aware that the aux heater draws about 10A for a while on start up despite being a diesel heater (this is the heater fans and heater ignition.

So far "touch wood" the Cali has been great, comfortable and easy to drive :)

I picked up my Cali 2 weeks ago (this is a MY2021) and I have pretty much tested out everything and I am very happy so far.

As stated, the handles on all the interior sliding doors need gently PUSHING before you try to slide the doors open. I have seen threads where the plastic latches have snapped (especially on hire Calis). I can see how this may happen if the handle is not pushed first.

If you put the the fridge on the Max setting (I did this just for testing) it will freeze drink cans at the bottom of the fridge and make them barrel shaped!! I now run on setting 2 which appears to be about 10 Deg C.

On MY2021 Cali's there is no longer a switch on the B pillar to override the internal alarm monitoring when the vehicle is locked using the key fob (useful for when there are dogs in the car or the windows are slightly open)
The internal monitoring override is now deep in the menu system of the infotainment system!
=> VEHICLE =>Vehicle Settings =>Opening and Closing=>Untick Interior Monitoring.

If you have a trailer connected or a lighting bar for a bike rack and the electrics are connected properly, the circuit is normally protected by the vehicle alarm system and the alarm will sound if the plug is pulled:)
However.... If the lights on the trailer or light board are LED lights (as in a lot of modern systems) then the alarm will not protect! also the trailer assist will not recognise a trailer is connected either!
This may be fixed by adding LED bulbs that have built in resistors or resistor circuits. I will try this at a later date.

There is also one supplied separate key fob for remote on/off of the auxiliary heater which is very useful. You need to make sure that the heater is set to HEAT and not CIRCULATE (default) on the main panel. Also be aware that the aux heater draws about 10A for a while on start up despite being a diesel heater (this is the heater fans and heater ignition.

All useful information. Thanks.

Not sure which MY mine is, but it has the switch on the B pillar to switch off interior sensors. I have virtual cockpit and Pro Media.

Great write up, Thanks. Which satnav unit have you got? If it is the basic standard one I wondered if you can get the map on the digital dashboard as this was supposed to be included on MY21 vehicles?

@itguy... I have the Discover Pro which of course has the map in the centre. Like you, I am under the impression that the MY21 has this capability in the standard unit but can't confirm I'm afraid.
Cheers.

Back