Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Beach no longer has hookup

So this line, "230-V supply with charging feature for vehicle batteries" listed in the standard features of the online configurator should be, "230-V supply with charging feature for vehicle leisure battery". If so, it is very sloppy of VW to make this mistake.
Actually I think it's indeed only the leisure battery, but as the Coast/Ocean have 2 leisure batteries, that could have caused the confusion. It charges both of them if there are two or one of them if there is only one. Because the feature has the same feature code for Beach/Ocean/Coast the description might have led some to believe it trickle charges the engine. Unless someone really measured voltage increase on the main battery after plugging in the hookup.

Don't want to add to the confusion, but I still think my European T5 beach MY15 with hookup does not seem to have a charger at all. I've looked everywhere. And when measuring voltages of the batteries they stay the same even after hours on hookup. And I've checked the circuit breaker and every fuse. And I'm not the only one.

The trickle charge on the engine battery is just that - very slow. It will bring the voltage of the battery up but takes days not hours. I've checked with a multimeter.

Actually I think it's indeed only the leisure battery, but as the Coast/Ocean have 2 leisure batteries, that could have caused the confusion. It charges both of them if there are two or one of them if there is only one. Because the feature has the same feature code for Beach/Ocean/Coast the description might have led some to believe it trickle charges the engine. Unless someone really measured voltage increase on the main battery after plugging in the hookup.

Don't want to add to the confusion, but I still think my European T5 beach MY15 with hookup does not seem to have a charger at all. I've looked everywhere. And when measuring voltages of the batteries they stay the same even after hours on hookup. And I've checked the circuit breaker and every fuse. And I'm not the only one.

i would ask VW as mine broke and needed replacing - it worked for a while then showed no voltage increase on batteries and garage said it was bust and replaced it. All good now

Long gone are the days that a Battery Charger was basically a step-down transformer. Nowadays they are full of clever electronics and even computer chips to control the output and vary it throughout the charging cycle.
On the SE the Mains Charger prioritises the Leisure Batteries and once they get to a certain percentage will transfer a trickle charge to the Engine Battery to compensate for use of Cabin Lights ( lights in the Driving area only ), Alarm system and ICE system.
If, and I believe it has, the Beach with EHU also has a Charger then it is probably a similar system if not the same Charger. After all the Beach can be ordered with the Diesel Heater, an electric Coolbox and can have an upgraded battery, so similar power requirements. And, with the cost of the EHU mentioned as 700€ then I would be very upset if a Charger was not included as part of the EHU Option.

The trickle charge on the engine battery is just that - very slow. It will bring the voltage of the battery up but takes days not hours. I've checked with a multimeter.

i would ask VW as mine broke and needed replacing - it worked for a while then showed no voltage increase on batteries and garage said it was bust and replaced it. All good now
You also have a T5 beach? Do you know where this charger is located?

Back