Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Bike rack differences

Marcuk03

Marcuk03

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi guys

I’m looking at the VW bike racks
So version 1 & 2 but can anyone tell me if there are any functional differences before I blow 500 odd quid.

is it just aesthetics or is one better at securing bikes for example?

This is for a 2018 ocean
Thanks

If you are referring to the quasi and kylies just looks both hold 4 bikes very well

Hi guys

I’m looking at the VW bike racks
So version 1 & 2 but can anyone tell me if there are any functional differences before I blow 500 odd quid.

is it just aesthetics or is one better at securing bikes for example?

This is for a 2018 ocean
Thanks

@Marcuk03 Yes, there are a couple of differences.

Kylie (older style) have thinner rails and the bike wheels are strapped via a fabric strap w/ toothed clip. The bikes also sit slightly higher the van's roof line. One arm has a lock, whereas the other three dont. The bolts that secure the rack to the tailgate are difficult to access with the boot closed.

Quasimodo (newer style) have thicker rails and have a modern plastic latch strap and fastener. All four arms have locks, and the bikes sit slightly higher than the Kylie rack. The bolts that secure the rack to the tailgate are easier to access with the boot closed than the Kylie. These can be replaced with non-tamper bolts that remove this risk though.

Put "Kylie" into Search Forums on the header. Loads of info inc pics of both.

@Marcuk03 Yes, there are a couple of differences.

Kylie (older style) have thinner rails and the bike wheels are strapped via a fabric strap w/ toothed clip. The bikes also sit slightly higher the van's roof line. One arm has a lock, whereas the other three dont. The bolts that secure the rack to the tailgate are difficult to access with the boot closed.

Quasimodo (newer style) have thicker rails and have a modern plastic latch strap and fastener. All four arms have locks, and the bikes sit slightly higher than the Kylie rack. The bolts that secure the rack to the tailgate are easier to access with the boot closed than the Kylie. These can be replaced with non-tamper bolts that remove this risk though.
Thank you very helpful analysis

Thank you very helpful analysis
More than welcome.

We spent ages looking and initially went for a Kylie because it 'fitted' the vans profile better visually (looked less like scaffolding).

However a number of bits failed on it quickly, and it was clear that the 'tech' on it was old (fabric straps to hold it up and strap the bikes too, rubber stoppers to stop bits rattling etc).

We eventually got it replaced under warranty and despite checking with VW that it was like for like, they fitted the Quasimodo. We were going to kick up a fuss, but to be fair....it's bulkier, but sturdier. It may be a little bit more unsightly, but it does its intended job better and ultimately less to go wrong with it.

When folded up, it sticks out slightly more from the rear window too. Good/bad - easier to clean the glass, but it's (again) a bit more unsightly and akin to scaffolding.

Function over Form at the end of the day in my opinion.

More than welcome.

We spent ages looking and initially went for a Kylie because it 'fitted' the vans profile better visually (looked less like scaffolding).

However a number of bits failed on it quickly, and it was clear that the 'tech' on it was old (fabric straps to hold it up and strap the bikes too, rubber stoppers to stop bits rattling etc).

We eventually got it replaced under warranty and despite checking with VW that it was like for like, they fitted the Quasimodo. We were going to kick up a fuss, but to be fair....it's bulkier, but sturdier. It may be a little bit more unsightly, but it does its intended job better and ultimately less to go wrong with it.

When folded up, it sticks out slightly more from the rear window too. Good/bad - easier to clean the glass, but it's (again) a bit more unsightly and akin to scaffolding.

Function over Form at the end of the day in my opinion.
Interesting to know that you got it swapped under warranty . Do they both have a lifetime warranty or is it limited?

Worth looking at the fiamma carry bike Pro as well, especially if you only need 2 bikes, the rails are spaced so you can see out the back window still. You can add the 2 extra rails if needed.
They are also available in black which may suit your van.

Interesting to know that you got it swapped under warranty . Do they both have a lifetime warranty or is it limited?
Got it as part of my purchase with the Cali (used). Failed within the first 3 months, and the little rubber gasket/stopper wasnt available as a part - so it was a full replacement would you believe!

If the bike rack is on the Vehicle Order as an Accessory, it will be covered for the full length of the warranty. If added after, it will only have one years warranty.

Whichever rack you opt for remember to preriodocally grease the locking mechanism bolts. They can seize meaning the clamps can’t be unscrewed and are then a bugger to get off.

We have the Thule, started with 2 rails, but no have added a third rail. Fits the Cali well. Not totally sure but think it comes in black. We like it’s look on the van.

A vote here for the fiamma - spares readily available on eBay, extendable to 4 bikes if needed.
IMG_3260.jpgIMG_3261.jpgIMG_3262.jpg

I have the Quasi after a similar debate with myself.
No regrets! I soon found aesthetically I swapped camps and prefer it's ruggedness.
In terms of function and quality. 100% trouble free.
Get with the times I say !!

Hello

Does anyone know of anywhere currently selling/stocking version 2 of the genuine VW T6 bike rack?

Everywhere appears out of stock.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whichever rack you opt for remember to preriodocally grease the locking mechanism bolts. They can seize meaning the clamps can’t be unscrewed and are then a bugger to get off.
What do you use for that?

Back