Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vw T6 bike rack

Mincepie100

Mincepie100

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
hi all
Apologies if this is a silly question , I’m about to buy the Vw T6 rear door mounted bike rack , however after watching a YouTube video it was suggested that you can’t open the back door if the canopy is raised , not sure if I misunderstood?
I’ve got a Thule towball mounted already but it’s bit of a faff if I only want to pop out and take the bike .

Has anyone else got any other advice or comments / recommendations before I part with £500 odd quid.
Many thanks .
M

hi all
Apologies if this is a silly question , I’m about to buy the Vw T6 rear door mounted bike rack , however after watching a YouTube video it was suggested that you can’t open the back door if the canopy is raised , not sure if I misunderstood?
I’ve got a Thule towball mounted already but it’s bit of a faff if I only want to pop out and take the bike .

Has anyone else got any other advice or comments / recommendations before I part with £500 odd quid.
Many thanks .
M
I can open it with road bikes on, even with the roof up. If you had MTB the handlebars would probably contact the roof if it was up.

Ah I see , I guess they were referring to the fact if the bikes were on or not .
Thank you all .

Ah I see , I guess they were referring to the fact if the bikes were on or not .
Thank you all .
Oh yes it's no issue when empty and also it is very easy and quick to put on and take off

It's for this reason I wouldn't want a bike rack next time, but will go for a tow bar option instead.

Loads of times, I've arrived at site, pop up the roof, go to get the hook up cable / side awning out the boot only to remember the bikes are on and it's either a half-open shuffle under the boot, or de-rack the bikes before I can gain access.

If you only have one bike to carry, it may be less of an issue for you. I normally have two adult bikes on the back. Certainly worth checking out before spending £500, if you can.

(Oh, btw....this is on a T5, don't know if T6 is the same).

Hi, just looked at the rack issue myself and ended up going for the Thule door mounted rack, less than £300 if you shop around fit and remove in minutes so no blocked view if not carrying bikes also the bikes sit lower than a VW rack, I too have changed from a tow bar mounted unit to allow Door access.
Carrying 2 electric bikes with no problems.