Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Bulb Kit

• Thread starter California Dreamin
  • Start date
I am right in thinking that the Ocean uses H7 headlights and LED tail lights?
Yes. that's what mine has.
From previous threads LED headlights are a financial sink hole if they fail. not sure if bulbs are available or complete lamp assy needed.

For others; only dip needs masking/taping. personally haven't been picked on 5 French trips per year over the last 7 years for not having anything. If manual height control on the dash I set them low to prevent dazzle.

a useless bulb kit to satisfy the Gendarmes
Not that I generally trust the internet - but when I searched this out I came across a number of posts that stated that the law DOES NOT require that you carry a spare bulb kit in France. Rather, the law requires that you have working lights at all times. If this is correct then you could only get into trouble for not having a spare bulb kit if you also had a bulb out.

Can anybody definitively confirm or deny this?

If this is the case then the procedure for LEDs would be don't worry about a spare. But if a lamp fails in the dark then stop as soon as safe and then head straight for the nearest dealer for a fix in daylight. Yes / No ?

Pretty sure the LED rears are standard on all T6s. It was only the fronts I paid for. You can recognise them easily as they light in an E pattern.
There must be some T6's with ordinary tail lights - they are shown on the pdf that Loz posted. May be for other versions not sold in UK? JW

Not that I generally trust the internet - but when I searched this out I came across a number of posts that stated that the law DOES NOT require that you carry a spare bulb kit in France. Rather, the law requires that you have working lights at all times. If this is correct then you could only get into trouble for not having a spare bulb kit if you also had a bulb out.

Can anybody definitively confirm or deny this?

If this is the case then the procedure for LEDs would be don't worry about a spare. But if a lamp fails in the dark then stop as soon as safe and then head straight for the nearest dealer for a fix in daylight. Yes / No ?
For me this a really tricky one.

Correct, you have to have working lights at all times. That means you have to carry spares, or risk in the event of a light failure, being stopped by French plod for not having working lights, and I can get my head round that. What I can't get my head round is that VW say that "all LED's" should only be replaced by an authorised dealer. Try explaining that to plod if you don't speak french!

I guess what would good to know is what is meant by working lights? Headlights? Side Lights? Fog Lights, Daytime Running Lights? Anyone or all are required.

For my money the risk of a bulb failing is relatively small, and consequently the risk of being stopped because you have a light not working is even smaller. There is also a high risk that plod wont know one end from another of a spare light bulb kit. So what I will do is carry spares of what VW say I can replace and not worry. JW

If a LED headlight failed, in France, you could treat it as a breakdown & put a call in. Especially as it says that it is a Technician replacement item.
Response will make interesting reading.;)

Personally I like to have everything to hand as my organisation can sometimes and I mean sometimes overcome my stupidity. So below are for T6 with LED lights.
4404f1f55da30531aa5e21a83166058f.png

97cbd611c3b48d6f620604900344227f.png

It's nicked from @Loz PDF he posted.

Mike

i'm going through this dilemma now, I reckon the chance of being stopped for lamp failure is slim, but I also think it's worth carrying a cheap bulb kit just to avoid the fine if stopped , and they will come in useful one day i'm sure. but I gather with some internet searches I agree with the posts above that states you DO NOT have to carry spare bulbs by law which means you can't be fined for not having the kit if all your lights work fine.but we know what them rozzers can be like don't we.

Back