Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Cali Beach Indium Grey & Black Alloys

Have always had my eye on these
http://www.exploria-online.co.uk/styling-sidebars.aspx
But not sure how they will look with the 16" claytons on, think they would match a set of 17" alloys better?? I went for the VW fridge with the order, it's a bit big and the base plate is a brute of a thing but it is sturdy and would think it would be secure in an accident (got forbid).
Keep us up to date with additions and pics, I always love to see em! :thumb
Anyone ever go for these sidebars.?

Edit: A bit more search found this thread.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...new-t6-ocean-advise-please.14546/#post-154772

Thanks @briwy might try them as well.

Can't quite justify the VW ones at well over twice the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I fitted these on my cally
they are the "strike" model from AEZ a welknown german company
They are rated for a California
the size is 18 inch

IMG_20160724_204443.jpg

IMG_20160724_204416.jpg

Not too dissimilar to the old British Leyand units they put on Mini Specials.

I ended up with the classic VW Toluca 18" mounted with the Continental Sport Contact 5 (103Y/XL). Very satisfied.

IMG_4042.JPG

I regret not getting the Tolucas. Maybe I will try get them as summer wheels next year.
This is mine at the dealer in Germany, ready for pickup on monday. Quite excited.
i-RhLZF5X-XL.jpg

I regret not getting the Tolucas. Maybe I will try get them as summer wheels next year.
This is mine at the dealer in Germany, ready for pickup on monday. Quite excited.
i-RhLZF5X-XL.jpg

Looks great! Really understandable you are exited ;-) I had these alloys on the Cali that got wreked. I really like them and I had them in consideration for a long time. My concern was where the comfort stops - 17", 18", 19" or 20".

Looks great! Really understandable you are exited ;-) I had these alloys on the Cali that got wreked. I really like them and I had them in consideration for a long time. My concern was where the comfort stops - 17", 18", 19" or 20".
Hy K -mann
Don't feel any differance between my Original 16" and my 18"alloys
Friend off me told me not to go 20" inch apperently he did got lots off punctures
and it all stopped switching back to 18" ,also very harsh ride..with 20"...
19" limits the tyre choise and also much more expensive tyres...
just my 2 cents...
cheers
Peter

Anyone knows where to buy VW parts like the Tolucas? With a BMW there are lot of german retailers with much better prices than in Sweden at least?

Anyone knows where to buy VW parts like the Tolucas? With a BMW there are lot of german retailers with much better prices than in Sweden at least?

I just wrote to 3 german resellers and chose the best offer. Hassle free ;-)

Hy K -mann
Don't feel any differance between my Original 16" and my 18"alloys
Friend off me told me not to go 20" inch apperently he did got lots off punctures
and it all stopped switching back to 18" ,also very harsh ride..with 20"...
19" limits the tyre choise and also much more expensive tyres...
just my 2 cents...
cheers
Peter

Totally agree and the same I heard from experienced T5/T6 drivers. That is why I went for the Tolucas. And not the AEZ Reef SUV 19"

May I ask what you paid with tires?

Around 2.300 € delivered in DK. Just for notice, if I had bought them as an option with the car, the cost would be 6.800 € due to the danish tax system. That is the official list price from VW here. Quite insane …

Around 2.300 € delivered in DK. Just for notice, if I had bought them as an option with the car, the cost would be 6.800 € due to the danish tax system. That is the official list price from VW here. Quite insane …
Plus the extra saving from having a spare set of wheels and tyres to sell on :thumb

I ended up with the classic VW Toluca 18" mounted with the Continental Sport Contact 5 (103Y/XL). Very satisfied.

View attachment 15551
Hi, Can I ask from where you bought teh Toluca wheels? I know you can get them as an option on new orders but did you find a way to get them in the aftermarket? Many thanks Ian (we are after a set for our new Cali beach)

Its all pretty dirty, but here she is with the new Platin 69 rims fitted. These are 17"x7.5J. I think they suit the vehicle perfectly (not too aggressive, with simple ten spoke design). You can get them from pneus online for £320 for a set in this size. I noted far more all season tyres in 235 55 R17 than 255 45 R18 and they are of course cheaper too. I am thrilled with how it looks now and also how it rides. The difference on the larger rims and tyres is much greater than I expected. I fitted Nokian Weatherproof tyres which should be plenty good enough in summer and ace in the winter and snow (very important to me). I also have no space to store winter/summer rims, so compromise is the name of the game. The grip is pretty aggressive so should be good on muddy grass too.

Now I need to get bucket and sponge out :)

View attachment 13288
How are you finding the Nokians? I have been using Hankooks 4 seasons which are good but always nice to hear about alternatives.

There is a Platin P 69 18" Version maybe they fit?

http://www.platin-raederkonfigurator.de/GB/wheels/normal/
Hi Sapto love the picture of your van :thumb

We have an Ocean 204 DSG in Indium Grey shod with 7 x 17 black diamond turned Cascavel wheels and I am looking to get alloys for the winter and like the look of yours. I posted a new thread elsewhere on here in the Wheels & Tyres section but people seem to be steering me towards steel wheels. I had winter alloys on my previous car with no problem with regard to salt etc. If you keep them clean it shouldn't be a problem and a lot of them are winter rated.

Anyway I was wondering, before you got the Platin wheels were your previous wheels 7j x17? If so did going to 7.5j x 17 make much of a difference e.g to the ride handling? did they stick out of the wheel arch more? Could you also tell me what offset the wheels are? For instance the Cascavels I have are 7j x 17 235/55 R17 PCD 5 x 120 and ET 55. The searching I have done is bringing back mostly 7.5 x 17 sizes with an offset (ET) of 50.

Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers

ps Incidentally with regard to the brake disc sizes on the front I read that the T5.1 180 and T6 204 have the same sized discs and that 17" wheels fit - mine was supplied with 17"

Hi Sapto love the picture of your van :thumb

We have an Ocean 204 DSG in Indium Grey shod with 7 x 17 black diamond turned Cascavel wheels and I am looking to get alloys for the winter and like the look of yours. I posted a new thread elsewhere on here in the Wheels & Tyres section but people seem to be steering me towards steel wheels. I had winter alloys on my previous car with no problem with regard to salt etc. If you keep them clean it shouldn't be a problem and a lot of them are winter rated.

Anyway I was wondering, before you got the Platin wheels were your previous wheels 7j x17? If so did going to 7.5j x 17 make much of a difference e.g to the ride handling? did they stick out of the wheel arch more? Could you also tell me what offset the wheels are? For instance the Cascavels I have are 7j x 17 235/55 R17 PCD 5 x 120 and ET 55. The searching I have done is bringing back mostly 7.5 x 17 sizes with an offset (ET) of 50.

Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers

ps Incidentally with regard to the brake disc sizes on the front I read that the T5.1 180 and T6 204 have the same sized discs and that 17" wheels fit - mine was supplied with 17"

Hi @Ardbeg Thank you for your commemt about my wheels. I try to help with your questions others may correct me.

- My Cali has 16" standard VW steel wheels from his previous owners and was only driven in Summer.
- I changed for 17" because I wanted to fit some winter tyres (in Switzerland we normaly drive with winter tyres from October to Easter). I kept the steel wheels for 215/65 R16 C Continental Winter contact
- The handling with 17" wheels is good, some would say you stick more to the ground f.e. in corners and turns. I can feel the difference altough I couldn't say which setups feels better.
- IMO they do not stick out more out of the wheel arch, they do like they are factory fitted
- Tyres: 225/55 R17 C Continental Van contact 200
- Alloys: 7.5 x 17, 5 x 120 ET 55 Platin P69 black
- Not sure if these wheels are winter rated. However as you said - as long as you keep them cleaned there should not be a problem
- Prizes around €140.-
- Platin Websit looks like its down?

I hope this was of any help and sorry for my English.

Look forward to see some pictures of your choice.

sapto

Hi @Ardbeg Thank you for your commemt about my wheels. I try to help with your questions others may correct me.

- My Cali has 16" standard VW steel wheels from his previous owners and was only driven in Summer.
- I changed for 17" because I wanted to fit some winter tyres (in Switzerland we normaly drive with winter tyres from October to Easter). I kept the steel wheels for 215/65 R16 C Continental Winter contact
- The handling with 17" wheels is good, some would say you stick more to the ground f.e. in corners and turns. I can feel the difference altough I couldn't say which setups feels better.
- IMO they do not stick out more out of the wheel arch, they do like they are factory fitted
- Tyres: 225/55 R17 C Continental Van contact 200
- Alloys: 7.5 x 17, 5 x 120 ET 55 Platin P69 black
- Not sure if these wheels are winter rated. However as you said - as long as you keep them cleaned there should not be a problem
- Prizes around €140.-
- Platin Websit looks like its down?

I hope this was of any help and sorry for my English.

Look forward to see some pictures of your choice.

sapto
Hi Sapto

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. Your English is perfect, I wouldn't have realised you were from outside the UK if you hadn't mentioned it. As it is 17" wheels that are on the van that's what I'll be sticking with, just need to decide on the width 7 or 7.5. I'll post pictures when I finally get them fitted. Thanks again.

Great thread - like a few folk on here, I stumbled on it whilst weighing up steel vs alloy for winter wheels and which size to go for. Love the black alloys !

Load rating on alloys - can the guys above advise how they decided / checked this. Its not clear to me what the alloy numbering rates the load and there are different options on the Platin site which I think refer to load (??) It's a great link - seem to be a nice quality, I'm very tempted by this brand but should probably check first - I know its a minefield for tire load rating

Thanks

Great thread - like a few folk on here, I stumbled on it whilst weighing up steel vs alloy for winter wheels and which size to go for. Love the black alloys !

Load rating on alloys - can the guys above advise how they decided / checked this. Its not clear to me what the alloy numbering rates the load and there are different options on the Platin site which I think refer to load (??) It's a great link - seem to be a nice quality, I'm very tempted by this brand but should probably check first - I know its a minefield for tire load rating

Thanks

Hi Gavrobb

I try to answer your question about load rate and found a picture on the website:
cc9eab05cdbad595b72e43a13a09567f.jpeg

I went for this load rate. Unfortunately I did not find the website in English. I hope this helps in anyway.

Cheers
sapto