Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Kombi conversion, which base model?

Roc1

Roc1

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi,

New here and looks like a great forum!

Just starting out researching getting a campervan, and looking to convert a new T6 Kombi Highline to a full camper, and wanted to ask what is best to supply the converters with? ie T28/30/32?

Saw a VW dealer recently and he said to go for the T32, but one of respected converters said a T28 would be fine. I understand that the higher the number the more weight they can carry, but didn't know if a T32 would be excessive?

We are excited to be starting off this journey and it's a vehicle I plan to keep for a long while so want to get it right!

Many thanks!

To expand on meoncoasts point..... I was going to go down a similar route, but when I weighed up the cost of buying a new kombi (even with big discounts) and then add in the cost of conversion, the heavier depreciation (significantly more than a California), the fact you can still only get euro 5 engines, the warranty and issue ownership concerns associated with buying new and then giving to someone else to start chopping holes in it, the hassle with vehicle reclassification etc then the California ended up making more sense to me. Only just though. The positive of the kombi route is you can build exactly to your required spec I guess, so no right answer - just some things to consider.

This argument is well rehearsed here and you won't find many arguing for the diy approach.
However, I think the quality of the units the converters are providing have improved considerably:
- Some of the gloss white / tambour door units in particular look very professional.
- The SCA roofs have upped their game with massive 'lift' at the narrow end.
- The RIB seat beds knock spots of the Cali's (although of course you loose the slide function which is a big loss).

In terms of owning an out of warranty van, I think I'd be happier with a conversion. The ability to take any problems to any modestly priced converters who actually know what they are doing (vs 'let's try swapping part X at VW), the ability to d simple jobs myself, the absence of the roof corrosion saga, worries about the roof hydraulics possible bills etc would be big influences for me.

However if you decided to go down the convert road.
I would go got the best spec van possible.(esp as you say you want to keep it long term)

Have you got a converter in mind?

(although of course you loose the slide function which is a big loss).

This would be a must for us --- the ability to move the seat

This was the type of interior I was referring to (AJC Conversions)
12745431_967618943325699_8085019555608466970_n.jpg
They also offer the swiveling double seat up front, giving you the 5 seater. I think these are a bit of a job to swivel, but how much more difficult than a Cali I'm not sure.
I know you can now also buy the bits to store the chairs and table away - which was another huge unique benefit of the Cali.

Why start with a Kombi?
and pay for the rear seats and their fixtures, rear seat belt mountings and rear liners etc etc and then chuck it all away!!
Surely start with a Highline panel van:thumb

This was the type of interior I was referring to (AJC Conversions)
View attachment 12087
They also offer the swiveling double seat up front, giving you the 5 seater. I think these are a bit of a job to swivel, but how much more difficult than a Cali I'm not sure.
I know you can now also buy the bits to store the chairs and table away - which was another huge unique benefit of the Cali.
I had a double swivel on a van I was converting.
It's an impressive bit of kit that is a little tricky to master. It does make the seat a little bit higher and therefore headroom is reduced.
I found the double seat good enough for short journeys but not great after a while.
I was going to do the conversion route and agree there are some nice examples out there.
I think t4life in Preston area are great. Toby is very good and will try and do whatever you want to whatever spec.
Base van is key.
T30 is the way I reckon.
As has been said, high line panel van is prob what you should aim for. They come with more as standard than the Cali! (Eg mfsw).
If ordering new then you can get tailgate, no bulkhead, etc. Or get a window van? Factory fitted (and warrantied) windows might be desirable.

Thanks for the great replies so far!
I'm going down the conversion route as I can get a good (20%) discount off new commercial vans via VW, and also put through the business so vat reclaimed as well as the tax benefits. Don't think I'd get that with a Cali.

A new T6 highline (panel or kombi) plus a good conversion works out at about £30/35k with the discount and vat off.
I was looking at Exploria http://www.exploria-online.co.uk/ or New Wave http://www.newwavecustomconversions.co.uk/ who both have great reviews and conversions coming in at around £16k. Appreciated I can get this for less however elsewhere.

Think a plus on a conversion for UK owners is having the sliding door on the other side...

Think a plus on a conversion for UK owners is having the sliding door on the other side...
Yes and no - I like the idea of being able to step out of driver door and step back to open the sliding door right behind it to get in / out with dogs when stopping at service stations etc and not having to walk around. However if you have kids and parking on the street - then you'd probably want the sliding door on nearside rather than offside...

• Agree
Reactions: DM
Thanks for the great replies so far!
I'm going down the conversion route as I can get a good (20%) discount off new commercial vans via VW, and also put through the business so vat reclaimed as well as the tax benefits. Don't think I'd get that with a Cali.

A new T6 highline (panel or kombi) plus a good conversion works out at about £30/35k with the discount and vat off.
I was looking at Exploria http://www.exploria-online.co.uk/ or New Wave http://www.newwavecustomconversions.co.uk/ who both have great reviews and conversions coming in at around £16k. Appreciated I can get this for less however elsewhere.
Some converters have an agreement with VW in that they can purchase direct a "base" vehicle direct, of whatever spec ready for conversion. Cheaper than the equivalent van but I don't know about your discount + VAT.

beware of the vatman - if you claim the vat back then you must charge vat when you sell it on - plus you are obliged to inform the vatman when it has been converted - so not a totally comfortable solution - the vat never goes away

• Agree
Reactions: DM
Roc1, Been there done that four times. I can't fault the idea if you can't find what you want already converted. As others have said it may not work out much cheaper although I have yet to loose much on the four that I have sold over the past eleven years.

Feel free to talk to me direct if you think I may have ideas or sources that would be of some help in converting your own van.

Rod

Thanks Rod may well do that. Pretty impressive how well the vans hold their value! I can't stretch to a T6 Cali so the conversion route it will be. Just need to research the pros and cons etc! Weight wise is a T30 enough or should I follow the dealers advise and go for T32?

A T30 is quite OK unless you are wishing to carry above normal camping kit. I've done two T32s and one T30, the T32s were simply because they were the best buy as ex-demo that I could find at the time, that is what the current camper is. The T30 was purchased new by us and ordered to our spec. The other self build was a LWB T4.
Personally I would always go for a LWB and from experience an after market high top in my case Reimo but there are others, SCA for instance. A factory high top like our current one is OK but you can only get one with tall barn doors on the rear which I don't find ideal.
None of it is cheap if you intend doing a professional job but you can build to your own preferences and at your own budget. Personal advice would be don't stint it and build to industry standards that way you will maintain a good residual value.
Here is our previous camper, it's long gone now but will give you an idea. http://www.1946vw.co.uk/sales/index.htm

Rod

Looking round at the NEC show in the week and staggered at the cost of converted vans.
Unless you are going to do the conversion yourself the price difference is so small (if any) that it's just not worth it.
All personal preference of course but some of the conversions were dire. Some looked like the inside of a spacecraft and others looked decidedly rough.
Just get a Cali.

Looking round at the NEC show in the week and staggered at the cost of converted vans.
Unless you are going to do the conversion yourself the price difference is so small (if any) that it's just not worth it.
All personal preference of course but some of the conversions were dire. Some looked like the inside of a spacecraft and others looked decidedly rough.
Just get a Cali.
Also it is often difficult to get the base vehicle you want. When I was doing my research none of the Converters could get a 180 4 Motion to my preferred spec.

It took me over 3 years to decide which way to go. I fancied a LWB T30 with the Reimo sliding seat and SCA roof. I visited several convertors and got quotations with them supplying the van or they just convert a van that I supplied. Sourcing the correct vehicle that had the spec that I wanted proved confusing (was the air conditioning climatronic or just semi-automatic) etc. Quality of conversions can be quite good and the finish very acceptable.

Then comes the cost. On all the conversions I had priced to a similar spec to the Cali, there was little difference. And they were still not as good as a Cali, such as the dash, 3 zone climate control, the mouldings that dress the interior rather than the carpet style finish, storage organisation etc. The Cali has everything integrated. The roof issue is a concern but hey, you can't have absolutely everything!

The Cali won on sheer quality and peace of mind plus the 5 year warranty.

I was at the NEC on Thursday and visited the T6 conversions on offer. I think I made the right decision for me.
This is just my story in a nutshell. I am sure that you will come to your own decision in time and that will be the right one for you. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.