Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 model bike rack damage to light clusters

I

ianahill

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi All, Just to increase awareness of this issue and see if anyone else has experienced the same:

I have a new model T6 bike rack fitted to my 2018 T6 cali earlier this season, at some point in the use this season the rack seems to have caught the light cluster lens and damaged the lens surround. I do not know when it happened, however my guess is due to the design of the T6 rack, the bottom support bar 'flexes' under load pushing the bottom feet into the lenses either while driving or on opening or closing the tailgate.

As I fitted the rack to the van the dealer is not interested in a warranty claim. VW then have very little come back on helping with the cost of the repair, it is going to cost over £400 to fix this damage as the lights are sealed units!

Ho hum! Anyone else had this issue?

LensRight.jpg

LensLeft.jpg

No problem with mine I removed it on selling the van and removed the clear plastic film and it was as new again..
did It come loose at some point?

£400 really? O and welcome :thumb

Try TPS for a replacement and fit yourself, for £400 you could get the smoked edition ones. Or buy one from ebay if available.

Or you could just silicone them if they are broken along the sealing. Too bad you will keep seeing the broken lenses.

Maybe you should have tightened the under brackets more to the lid?
What happens when you load the rack with 4 adult bikes? Can you see the brackets getting lower? Can you unscrew and rescrew the bolts, more tightened to the lid?

One of the reasons I don't want anything hanging on the lid. I have seen to much damage here around.
Still happy with my towbar and the Atera. Keeps the van under 2 meters, even with 4 bikes.

Or you could just silicone them if they are broken along the sealing. Too bad you will keep seeing the broken lenses.

Maybe you should have tightened the under brackets more to the lid?
What happens when you load the rack with 4 adult bikes? Can you see the brackets getting lower? Can you unscrew and rescrew the bolts, more tightened to the lid?

One of the reasons I don't want anything hanging on the lid. I have seen to much damage here around.
Still happy with my towbar and the Atera. Keeps the van under 2 meters, even with 4 bikes.
O no, not the tailgate verse tow bar bike rack debate resurrection. Where's that bag of popcorn. :Iamsorry

Will get in my California, and get the hell out of here asap. Too bad I have to go to work on monday :sad.
I think I will bear the hatemail I will receive from this.
Can a moderator censor my post?

The rear lights are very easy to replace, its just 2 screws and the ease it out.

As mentioned above, the are available on the web or TPS
like this.

Having just fitted mine to the T5 the instructions do note that damage to the lights can occur due to the brackets not being "set" fully. The way I did mine was to push the bracket home whilst I tightened the bolt rather than allowing the bolt to pull it in. (Hope that makes sense)

That was my thought when I saw the picture.
Just load the rack with the max weight so it drops to it's maximum, then tighten the lower brackets to the furthest they can go and tighten the bolts. That way the rack will be tightened up, not allowing the up and down movement, causing this damage.

I find it helps to prop the tailgate open (with for eg my wellies that reside in the boot). You still get the gravity, but have enough room to see what’s going on with the clamps.

Last edited:
The rubber gaskets that came with my Fiamma T5 Pro failed quickly (I often carry four bikes, but two bikes on Scottish back roads was the killer). I replaced them with rolled up rubber tube patches from my bike repair kit, problem solved, tail lights and tailgate paint saved.

Thats for the input Team, I escalated to VW Customer Services and explained the dilemma. They spoke to my local dealer and after a week of thinking, they have agreed to change the damaged light clusters at no charge. Good service I must say. I will be asking them if the tailgate can be raised a mm or so or rack adjusted before re-fitting. It's all a little snug in the light cluster corner at it is at the moment! Cheers all.