Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Ocean Tapping noise under fridge

S

Stuart1881

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi,

I'm new to California's, buying my first a T6 Ocean a few weeks ago.

An annoying tapping noise has developed under the fridge or cupboard. Have gone back to the dealer but not fix. Can anyone give me advise on how to prevent?

Cheers!

Stuart

Pull out the sliding table ..... check nothing stuck behind it, check it's stowed properly, try placing a tea towel wedged between seat and table and go for a bumpy drive around....

Strip out the cupboard next to it, check nothing rolling around, even one of those lightweight tiny round spirit levels drove me nuts. The cupboard sides are like drum skins, slightest thing tapping resonates all around.

Check again between seat, floor and table. I had a rattle drive me nuts for 1200 miles in France a couple of weeks ago until my Sister found my long lost gas lighter :sad

Side wardrobe, nothing in it to rattle? Coat hanger once drove me to ringing the Samaritans,

Hi,

I'm new to California's, buying my first a T6 Ocean a few weeks ago.

An annoying tapping noise has developed under the fridge or cupboard. Have gone back to the dealer but not fix. Can anyone give me advise on how to prevent?

Cheers!

Stuart
At the rear of the cupboard, next to the fridge, the First Aid kit and Emergency Triangle. Are they secure. Also, same cupboard, L lower side is the Dirty Water stop cock. A little hand can go through the opening there and check nothing is rolling around under the fridge. Do you have the Safe in the base of the Wardrobe? Anything in it?

Pull out the sliding table ..... check nothing stuck behind it, check it's stowed properly, try placing a tea towel wedged between seat and table and go for a bumpy drive around....

Strip out the cupboard next to it, check nothing rolling around, even one of those lightweight tiny round spirit levels drove me nuts. The cupboard sides are like drum skins, slightest thing tapping resonates all around.

Check again between seat, floor and table. I had a rattle drive me nuts for 1200 miles in France a couple of weeks ago until my Sister found my long lost gas lighter :sad

Side wardrobe, nothing in it to rattle? Coat hanger once drove me to ringing the Samaritans,

Thanks, have tried taking everything out the van. The tapping sound still going to strong. Found this stopper lying loose but can't see where it came from, any ideas?

Thanks appreciate your help!

Stuart

image.jpeg

It's a "bump stop" off the internal (seat back) round edge of the parcel shelf, designed to stop the front seatback getting marked when it's pushed back in "bed" position.

I've got a couple of those loose in my van somewhere :D

I would guess it is the table not locked into the retaining peg at the bottom by the floor.

Unlock the table and pull it forward, now slid it back while applying gentle pressure to push it back against the cupboard while locking it back into the stowed position. The peg will locate when the table is locked in place and stop the rattle.

To check you can try rattling it when it is locked back. The bottom should not move when you do this.

Alan

VW should take this up in the manual.
Think every new owner askes himself this Q as they come out on nearly every Cali SE/ Ocean
One of the older treads
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/rubber-stoppers.10086/#post-93834
And an other
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/does-anyone-know-what-this-is.6976/#post-96205
More...
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...r-stopper-things-in-boot-area.1205/#post-8446
Hey what's this?
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/rear-bed-rubber-bumper.11813/#post-114495

In this topic i posted what i did and since then no more rubber stops rolling in the booth:thumb
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/does-anyone-know-what-this-is.6976/page-2

What more can i do.....?

Last edited:
We had a rattle (actually a few) one of which was resolved by replacing the rubber bump stop to buffer between the parcel shelf and seat back.
But our main rattle is now focused on the table. GJ's tea towel tip helps.

Oh what characters our California's are.

Assume you mean the noise occurs when you are travelling and not when the fridge is running? If so, it's probably the spigot on the underside of the table not locating properly when you slide the table in, it's easy to miss the locating hole and then the noise drives you nuts!

It's hard to see whether it is in properly, so initially just jam a blanket down the side of the seat next to the table and see if the noise stops. If so, then try to get it located properly, it takes a bit of practice (which Mrs M hasn't yet mastered, so we usually end up with the blanket solution! :D)

The loan Cali we have whilst ours is in for the roof repair has a loose rear pivot on the sliding part of the table. This is cured by stuffing a tea towel between the seat and the table in the stowed position

Back