Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7 Spyshots.

I still think the space management in the T6.1 is far superior to both the MV Cali Concept and Westy Club Joker Urban

I still think the space management in the T6.1 is far superior to both the MV Cali Concept and Westy Club Joker Urban
Yes the wardrobe is all but non existent in the new Club Joker! I get why they had to remove it to allow sliding door access both sides, but I would miss that. Plus I need a reclining sofa, al la the T6.1 Ocean, not sliding single chairs as with the newer ones!

That front wheel arch is all wrong. Looks even worse on the VW, but really not much to choose between the 2 externally. Hoping VW spent more time working on the interior.
Wheel arch looks particularly awkward on the Transit version.

Yes the wardrobe is all but non existent in the new Club Joker! I get why they had to remove it to allow sliding door access both sides, but I would miss that. Plus I need a reclining sofa, al la the T6.1 Ocean, not sliding single chairs as with the newer ones!
If both chairs slide and recline ,what's the difference compared to a bench seat that does the same?

If both chairs slide and recline ,what's the difference compared to a bench seat that does the same?

For me - You can fold one down, carry surfboards inside the van & still carry 3 people. One can sit next to the gas ring after a winter surf and make the tea.

Assume also easier to remove individual seats ‘v’ one bench if you need to carry something big.

Although I would quite like it without a kitchen, so can still carry 5/7 - Beach style.

For me - You can fold one down, carry surfboards inside the van & still carry 3 people. One can sit next to the gas ring after a winter surf and make the tea.

Assume also easier to remove individual seats ‘v’ one bench if you need to carry something big.

Although I would quite like it without a kitchen, so can still carry 5/7 - Beach style.

I think a multivan based Cali is far better suited to a Beach type layout than it is to an Ocean layout

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think a multivan based Cali is far better suited to a Beach type layout than it is to an Ocean layout

It would seem that VW disagree with you, otherwise I’m sure they would have shown a “ Beach “ version.
Maybe there will be an Optional pop up roof on the Multivan?

It would seem that VW disagree with you, otherwise I’m sure they would have shown a “ Beach “ version.
Maybe there will be an Optional pop up roof on the Multivan?

Be interesting to know how many Beach variants VW sell versus Ocean/Coast, it may be that which is dictating the direction they go with the Multivan platform rather than what works best with the useable space?

You can't 'lounge' across both as I enjoy doing. The individual seats make this impossible even when aligned.
So it’s not the fact that they are individual seats but the fact that they are individually contoured.
The New California May have individual non - contoured seats, in which case you would be able to lounge.

Mind you, the 3 seat Beach has contoured seating, so that’s one to cross off.

So it’s not the fact that they are individual seats but the fact that they are individually contoured.
The New California May have individual non - contoured seats, in which case you would be able to lounge.

Mind you, the 3 seat Beach has contoured seating, so that’s one to cross off.
Yes, the contouring is the issue with comfort. Plus, even with two individual seats without contouring, I'm not convinced that they would be as comfortable as the bench seat, ie no gaps. I also think the seat base of the existing Ocean bench seat is nice and wide, allowing crossed legs while sat in the middle of it when working at the table; I'm cynical that two uncontoured seats could achieve this as well.

Yes, the contouring is the issue with comfort. Plus, even with two individual seats without contouring, I'm not convinced that they would be as comfortable as the bench seat, ie no gaps. I also think the seat base of the existing Ocean bench seat is nice and wide, allowing crossed legs while sat in the middle of it when working at the table; I'm cynical that two uncontoured seats could achieve this as well.
Contoured seats are far more comfortable for passengers on a long drive. Downside is that you need a shaped mattress to flatten the bumps when set up as a bed.

If its anything like trying to get comfortable straddling 2 airplane seats then they are not going to be comparable comfortwise, to a bench arrangement.
Some major contouring will be needed to flatten those seats in the bed position. Legacy mattresses and toppers will likely be too uneven.

@Corradobrit that’s true. The current official Cali Beach (3 seat) mattress is contoured to counteract the contours of the Beach bench, although it is less contoured than those individual chairs.

I love the way people look for problems that may not exist. The California SE or OCEAN since its inception has never had contoured rear seats, I wonder why?
Only the 3 seat Beach, a relative new comer, has a contoured rear seat with a contoured mattress to make it flat.

@Corradobrit that’s true. The current official Cali Beach (3 seat) mattress is contoured to counteract the contours of the Beach bench, although it is less contoured than those individual chairs.
I'm sure some inventive company will see an opportunity and offer a pad that covers both seats to create a flat sitting surface.

Just a note that I have spent plenty an afternoon snoozing comfortably across the 3 seat Beach bench, and even sleeping on it while parked incognito on city streets. As you can see, the contours actually make it more comfortable in this position. I’m 6ft tall, a couple of pillows against the side wall does it.

Last edited:
Reading between the lines even Cali Chris doesn't sound convinced.

The new long wheelbase Multivan based California is not only 20cm (!) longer than the 6.1, and 17.3cm over the 5m limit for lowest fares and tolls, but is still smaller inside than a 6.1. This to me is pathetic.

Perhaps he couldn’t find a tape measure at the time?

The new long wheelbase Multivan based California is not only 20cm (!) longer than the 6.1, and 17.3cm over the 5m limit for lowest fares and tolls, but is still smaller inside than a 6.1. This to me is pathetic.
I feel that VW are dropping the ball on the T7. They seem to be more bothered about style rather than function.

I thought it was a poor video, if you are going to attempt a comparison at least get a tape measure out and measure the height, width and length available.
There’s an echo in here!

The internal bulkheads are massive compared to T6.1's. Combined with the A pillar so far back and all that airy leisure volume disappears. Lower bed width is not going to please many.

I watched the video and agree, Chris doesn’t seem to buy into the practicality of the Multivan California, and he’s seen the demo model!