Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tabletop BBQ

Great discussion. Reminded me to pack my Cobb for the upcoming holiday. I have been using it for many years, but find the temperature a bit lower than a classic BBQ so also have a folding one. But the advantage of the Cobb is that it can be used on campsites where they have a BBQ ban due to fire risks. Anybody thinks of complaining, I just pick it up and put it on the table to show how cool the outside is.

You can pick the madkon up with the handles whilst in use, always moving the thing when the wind changes direction:thumb

Reactions: AJQ
I have a Livivo foldable bbq. Folds down to a laptop size and has an ingenious design. Used it last night for the first time and worked great - with this thread in mind I put it on a table and no heat made it to the table surface (the black 'legs' were cool from about halfway down and I additionally kept my G&T under it as a test), but you might just want to watch out for the metal casing scratching the table (I don't think it would). We fitted 4 kebabs and a large steak on there.

1657362864001.png1657362899019.png

Great thread! I’ve used a Weber go anywhere on trips in our Cali but for reasons already stated, I’m sure it would only be a matter of time before scratching, stray ember burning or radiant heat spoiled the table….on the other hand I’ve just ordered one of those Livivo units, £23.99 and free delivery!

I have a Livivo foldable bbq. Folds down to a laptop size and has an ingenious design. Used it last night for the first time and worked great - with this thread in mind I put it on a table and no heat made it to the table surface (the black 'legs' were cool from about halfway down and I additionally kept my G&T under it as a test), but you might just want to watch out for the metal casing scratching the table (I don't think it would). We fitted 4 kebabs and a large steak on there.

View attachment 95917View attachment 95918
Great recommendation, I've seen those but wasn't sure how they would be in practice - thanks too for carrying out the essential research on whether it would be ok on the table top!!

I’ve searched earlier threads on this but I’m not sure I’ve found the answer so I’m hoping you’ll all bear with me. I’d like recommendations for a portable bbq that can be used on a table, either at home in the garden or on the California outside table when we’re camping, I don’t want one that sits on the ground. And it needs to be charcoal, not gas.
We’re mainly vegetarian, sometimes eat fish, and we only need something small and quick - not something you can roast a chicken on. Sometimes it would be good to do a pizza but that’s not a priority.
I’ve looked at the lotus grill which looks good but the reviews I’ve seen suggest the food doesn’t taste particularly barbecued. The Weber go anywhere looks good, I just can’t tell from the product description if it’s a tablebtop design. Can the cobb bbq be put on a table to use - and does the resultant food taste barbecued? Maybe I’m looking for something that doesn’t exist, but I thought I’d ask the collective wisdom of the vw California forum, if it’s out there you lot will know about it.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.
We use a fennek portable BBQ it has a dedicated rucksack which keeps it all nice and tidy when travelling
I’ve searched earlier threads on this but I’m not sure I’ve found the answer so I’m hoping you’ll all bear with me. I’d like recommendations for a portable bbq that can be used on a table, either at home in the garden or on the California outside table when we’re camping, I don’t want one that sits on the ground. And it needs to be charcoal, not gas.
We’re mainly vegetarian, sometimes eat fish, and we only need something small and quick - not something you can roast a chicken on. Sometimes it would be good to do a pizza but that’s not a priority.
I’ve looked at the lotus grill which looks good but the reviews I’ve seen suggest the food doesn’t taste particularly barbecued. The Weber go anywhere looks good, I just can’t tell from the product description if it’s a tablebtop design. Can the cobb bbq be put on a table to use - and does the resultant food taste barbecued? Maybe I’m looking for something that doesn’t exist, but I thought I’d ask the collective wisdom of the vw California forum, if it’s out there you lot will know about it.
we use the fennek portable BBQ we also bought the back pack so everything folds away neatly for travelling

We started with Weber go anywhere. Works fine but takes up too mcuh space. We have a fennek now which works great. My dream bbq is a madkon, but its way too expensive with shipping and handling to get it to Sweden.

GARDENLINE PORTABLE BARBEQUE. We have one of these and it’s very good. The outside and the base stay cold. Couldn’t fault it, very light and so portable. Because of the fan it is ready to cook in minutes.

We’ve a big green egg at home, so plus one for the charcoal bbq taste - makes such a difference.

We also have a cheap flat pack like the Livivo foldable bbq mentioned in the post above for out of Van charcoal bbqing. Folds to nothing, and space is usually the other key factor!

To protect the table you could get a silicone mat. They’re very cost effective and really heat resistant. Great for multi purpose use as they are non slip as well.

Happy outdoor cooking! whatever you go for.

Speak to them direct as I managed to get a discount on my madkon mini, plus it should last a life time
We started with Weber go anywhere. Works fine but takes up too mcuh space. We have a fennek now which works great. My dream bbq is a madkon, but its way too expensive with shipping and handling to get it to Sweden.

We’ve a big green egg at home, so plus one for the charcoal bbq taste - makes such a difference.

We also have a cheap flat pack like the Livivo foldable bbq mentioned in the post above for out of Van charcoal bbqing. Folds to nothing, and space is usually the other key factor!

To protect the table you could get a silicone mat. They’re very cost effective and really heat resistant. Great for multi purpose use as they are non slip as well.

Happy outdoor cooking! whatever you go for.

Thanks for this, very encouraging, especially the idea of using silicone mats as we already have a set that live in the van - we bought them when we got the van, to protect the table :headbang :)
Really useful suggestions, pretty much decided to try the livivo one and see how it goes, experimenting with a less precious table first of course.

The ridge monkey Grilla is great. You can use charcoal or gas with it.

Love the Cobb. Takes a bit of getting used to, allow more time to cook. Maybe slightly more like an oven than a BBQ but has lots of options incl a pizza option. Just love the way it cooks, it’s very easy to clean, esp if you line it with foil - which will last for a few lightings. I always use it on the Cali table stored in the door without trouble. Haven’t tried the Weber.

Try a ‘Skotti’
Can use it with gas, coals or wood as a bbq or fire pit
I loBB673EDD-7F1E-447F-BFE7-E1D8F658883E.pngve mine

Get almost everything inside a weber, then space is used efficiently

Get almost everything inside a weber, then space is used efficiently
Yeah, when we take our Weber go anywhere to the beach it contains the charcoal, chimney starter, firelighters, a leather glove, cigarette lighter and tongs inside the lid. Have to take the grill out and stand it upwards outside but barely an inch is wasted inside.

Yeah, when we take our Weber go anywhere to the beach it contains the charcoal, chimney starter, firelighters, a leather glove, cigarette lighter and tongs inside the lid. Have to take the grill out and stand it upwards outside but barely an inch is wasted inside.
I bought some grill grates from the USA which come in 3 pieces, fit inside, and also hugely improve grill performance (e.g. no flare ups and you can cook onion rings or eggs on the back side of them). You can also cut the grill in half and then fit it inside - think there are some YouTube videos on this.

Sawing the grill in two solves that issue. Fits back together and sits on the lip perfectly.

I bought some grill grates from the USA which come in 3 pieces, fit inside, and also hugely improve grill performance (e.g. no flare ups and you can cook onion rings or eggs on the back side of them). You can also cut the grill in half and then fit it inside - think there are some YouTube videos on this.
How do you mean cut in half? Sounds quite hard to use then?

Why has the chicken got a target on It’s back ?

or is that why it’s in the pot