Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cobb as a BBQ

G

gatvol

'er indoors is a bbq aficionado and I am wondering about the best way of getting one into the cali.

one option is the disposable little ones as there is no mess storing charcoal, no trying to clean them in a tiny camper sink. this is our current preferred option

then there are the little camping gaz ones that fold down into a bag

the cobb is a possible option as it is multifunction - but is it any good as a bbq when you use the griddle ? does the food taste like it has come off a bbq - ie a bit smokey. do those smoke pellets make the food taste properly barbecued ?

We use both actually, a Cobb or a disposable depending on where we are going. The Cobb is great as you get instant heat and you can put it on the table without burning a hole in it, also you get well over an hour cooking time, however ... like you say you do not get the true BBQ taste, we have tried wood pellets but its still not the real BBQ flavour, also we find the Cobb a bit of a nightmare to clean depending what you have been cooking... saying all that we do use the Cobb a hell of a lot as the instant heat is the big bonus also it packs away neatly. If we are doing a single night away we tend to use a disposable one as nice and simple with no cleaning, we also have a handy universal stand which takes it off the floor.

Here is the stand, cost under a tenner

etmsUoWpRpsAkkP-Gt-6uXely3Q3W8lqL2gPTQIbr8uDNd_20Tp2Pld1AWGVq25gOZ-Ks1-jxrDcxgn30X16pGo_r-kbUyhtC79TvpSC-LhtRkxDpDEH3YKEQ6PT7er3nsdMbPvUOFlyn4s1T_zLuxdB

We've given up on disposables since the food always seem to taste of the chemicals, and we don't have a Cobb. Instead we have a metal BBQ bucket which cools down quickly after use and we store the charcoal inside it.

It's a simple option and the bucket just fits underneath the shelf in the boot. Another option worth considering ...

@Martin,
Do you have a link to that BBQ universal stand. It looks a damn sight better than the cople of bricks I have toted around the place as a makeshift stand?

I have been impressed with the previous threads about the Cobb - but I can see how cleaning it is a PITA at times.

Cobb all the way. Ignore the BBQ thing - it's a fab oven and grill, The look on faces around a campsite when you lay out a roast is with every cobb penny.

Seb