Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tail gate 3rd break light cover

1400sfm

1400sfm

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all,
Help required if possible please, I have noticed that my 3rd break light cover is missing, I've ordered a replacement and now need to fit it.
How does the old one come out?
Do I have to take apart the inside door panel or can the unit be removed from outside?
If from inside where do you start to remove the panels, is it a simple job.
I'm not the greatest at this sort of thing so thought I'd try and get a heads up before making a start.
Thanks in advance
Simon

are you out of warranty - our was done under warranty

Yes to do it properly the inner trim needs to be removed. There are the 2 or 3 screws holding the unit into the tailgate .
The trim on mine was a mare to remove but someone else on here removed it easily, you might be lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,
Help required if possible please, I have noticed that my 3rd break light cover is missing, I've ordered a replacement and now need to fit it.
How does the old one come out?
Do I have to take apart the inside door panel or can the unit be removed from outside?
If from inside where do you start to remove the panels, is it a simple job.
I'm not the greatest at this sort of thing so thought I'd try and get a heads up before making a start.
Thanks in advance
Simon
Snap - ours is missing too but dealer has agreed to replace it under warranty. You should be able to claim for the cost.

I gave up trying to fit mine in at a dealers & replaced it with the cheapest chinese copy off eBay. Getting the trim off is not of the feint hearted, first undo the 2 screws that hold the rear window blind hook, then find a decent metal prybar 24" recommended and use some force under the trim - it really took some effort to shift it, 3 screws hold the brake light in place, its a straight swap, then spend an hour or two sweating, pushing, hitting & swearing until the trim is back in place.

Repeat the following weekend with the 2nd cheapest chinese copy as the lens has fallen off the first one.

Following weekend look at genuine VW replacement - looks identical but 4x the price, decide you can't be bothered & get out clear tape & use that over the hole in the tailgate for the next couple of months .

Following weekend look at genuine VW replacement - looks identical but 4x the price, decide you can't be bothered & get out clear tape & use that over the hole in the tailgate for the next couple of months .
We've got clear tape over ours at the moment. The lens doesn't just snap in from the outside then?

No you can't get the lens on its own it comes as a complete unit, you need the whole lot.
Even if you did take the lens off an eBay unit & try & push it on, it won't clip properly because the broken clips on the back part are what caused your old one to come off.
It looks like a design flaw, the unit is sprung loaded and the springs are always pushing against the pathetic little plastic clips. The second one I did, I took the lens off & glued it to the back part before I fitted it - that increased its lifespan by about a week.

Known warranty claim. Tailgate trim has to be removed. Complete light unit has to be replaced from inside.:thumb

I did the same as Andy and glued the red cover to the unit before installing . Out of Warranty when mine went. Luckily spotted it lose before losing the red cover completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As WG said.

A 2014 California is still in Warranty. Down to the dealers, new one on warranty please.

Warranty replacement for us as well. Took a little time to convince the dealer and required intervention of VW to highlight it as a warranty issue but once convinced dealer was happy to replace.

Ours has come loose and I went to the dealer as the stop start isn't working, the mechanic says the two faults are linked and the light ,brake switch are being replaced and this should sort the stop start problem

The high level lens cover fell off mine last weekend and was replaced today at my local dealer under warranty. I was told that my vehicle was due a replacement under a recall scheme for this part. Hopefully they have revised the design and solved the problem with the cover breaking off but time will tell.

Back