Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate brake light cover

J

Jimcrow

VIP Member
hi, I've had the red plastic cover for the tailgate brake light disappear this weekend. Could anyone tell me what the part no. is and if it just simply pops on - I'm assuming it does. Thanks.

Sorry it is the whole item not just the cover, will be cover buy warranty if you are still covered

As above ...

Whole unit, they pop off for a pastime, if vehicle still under warranty then can be replaced at their expense.

As anyone found a hack for that problem? eg. small blob of silicone.
Its bound to happen at the most inopportune time eg. away on holiday.

I know that some have had leaks into the interior when a cover has been lost but to be honest I've found it to be no big deal. It still glows red without the cover, still lights up when foot goes on brake, so I just ignored it until it was convenient to pop in and get a replacement.

I think it was about 6 months that I went without one.

Hi.......

They retail at £35.88 for the whole LED unit. If you order from me I will give 20% off plus postage.

Cheers

You need to run a bead of super glue around the red lens to glue it to the black led cover..

This happened to ours, when I spoke to our dealer he mentioned there had been a problem with some of them and they replaced it at no cost to ourselves

Hi.......

They retail at £35.88 for the whole LED unit. If you order from me I will give 20% off plus postage.

Cheers
Hi, do you still have these available at £35.88 with 20% off? Our red reflector cover seems to have popped off as well. How would this be re-fitted/attached please? Thanks,

Hi, do you still have these available at £35.88 with 20% off? Our red reflector cover seems to have popped off as well. How would this be re-fitted/attached please? Thanks,
These were subject to a recall, do you know if yours was ever changed? if not you should be able to get it done for free.

These were subject to a recall, do you know if yours was ever changed? if not you should be able to get it done for free.
Hi @andyinluton no it was never changed and wasn't aware of any recall ? :-( Do you know what the procedure is for this? Shall I call VW to discuss further? Is there a link on the forum to any recall discussions?
Many thanks for this.

Hi @andyinluton no it was never changed and wasn't aware of any recall ? :-( Do you know what the procedure is for this? Shall I call VW to discuss further? Is there a link on the forum to any recall discussions?
Many thanks for this.
I also have a T5 SE. When I took my vehicle back to the VW dealer for a service they told me that the vehicle had a recall on it and replaced the unit while being serviced for free. It was still under warranty anyway.
The recall automatically flagged up when they entered the vehicle in their computer.
If you decide to have your vehicle serviced at a non VW dealer recalls may not flag up and you will miss out.

If you take your vehicle to a VW dealer they should be able to book it in for a free replacement light fitting.

Okay thank you @campandfly . We stopped taking our VW to dealers as had some really long term issues. I will check with the local VW authorised dealers to check what they advise. Thanks again for all the fast replies.

I don't know about specific chassis numbers but searching back through old posts it looks like the "action" rather than Recall was about December 2015 & seeing who had replacements at that time it looks to be T5.1 vans. With comments from the then new T6 owners that some of their lights were leaking / falling off as well.

Ive just come across the service receipt for when my brake light was done , its campaign 94I9 s-high level brake light.

Ive just come across the service receipt for when my brake light was done , its campaign 94I9 s-high level brake light.
@andyinluton okay thank you. Can't be done with yet another argument with VW on what should or shouldn't be done and going around various dealers having different responses, I've luckily a mechanic ordering me one and replacing it for me, thank you all for your advice. Keep on trucking......

Mine was replaced under warranty a few years ago.... and the Red lens has just come off!
Looks like the clips that hold it in place gradually lose their rigidit, probably due to the heat.
I just siliconed the lens in place.

Back