Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate locking mechanism

There are some electronics involved but most of the time it is the microswitch in the tailgate. This is part of the lock and hard to replace while you have to remove complete tailgate inner panel. It is a very flimsy switch with hair-thick wiring and when it gets wet (by condensation, leaking rubbers, leaking license plate screws, tail wiper or any other hole in the backside) the contacts will corrode and fail at any moment in time. A new lock is about € 35,- but if you have to pay for the replacement... I have replaced mine and used a glue-gun to protect it (and myself) from having to do it ever again.

Thanks. Ive stopped it all out just now and its bone dry. Not sure what else I can do with my limited tools and knowledge. I unplugged the plug and cleaned everything off but to no avail. Here is a photo.

IMG_1640.jpg

That's the bottom part. The microswitch is in the tailgate part of the mechanism. And that's the bad news.
When I was stood under the boot the other day I heard a noise from the boot above my head the same as when it opens. Since then it hasn’t worked. I’ll have to consult vw as out my depth now and also my cab and boot lights have stopped working today too and I’ve noticed the clicking noise from the water container/leisure battery area I’m conceding with my limited knowledge. Thanks for you mrs and everyone’s else’s input, it would have been nice to solve these issues myself for a quick win on a Sunday. Thanks.

Apart from the wiper, there are no moving parts in the tailgate. It makes me curious about what is happening in your cali

That's the bottom part. The microswitch is in the tailgate part of the mechanism. And that's the bad news.
There is a micro switch in the bottom part on 2016 models, ( similar to the picture) we had a problem that when driving along with the tailgate shut we suddenly got a message on screen that the tailgate was open. Took it in and the service guy confirmed it was the microswitch with the tailgate open and he only had his hands near the catch at the bottom. Touching something down there would change the screen from saying open to closed.
Doing the repair - didn't take long not certain if they replaced the unit in the picture or just a microswitch in it

There is a micro switch in the bottom part on 2016 models, ( similar to the picture) we had a problem that when driving along with the tailgate shut we suddenly got a message on screen that the tailgate was open. Took it in and the service guy confirmed it was the microswitch with the tailgate open and he only had his hands near the catch at the bottom. Touching something down there would change the screen from saying open to closed.
Doing the repair - didn't take long not certain if they replaced the unit in the picture or just a microswitch in it
Thanks. I suspect it’s a servi that moves the catch you see in the photo in my case. The catch looks to move back and forth but mine is stuck in the back position hence not soft closing and me having to close it harder than usual. Odd how my interior lights have also stopped working too. I’ll call them tomorrow and hopefully get it booked in. Typical as it’s a few months out if warranty.

Mine as just started to intermittently not soft closing eventually it does , if i slam the door should it still lock ? Mine does not

Just thinking about it i have the slide out draw, is it possible that when sliding seat back in the morning i push it back to hard and slightly over a period of time move the tray towards the boot door , as the door does try to pull in but then stops , is there some sort of fail safe if something is behind the door when closing to stop it closing, not near cali so cannot check, as it as only just started happening and is intermittent!!

Just thinking about it i have the slide out draw, is it possible that when sliding seat back in the morning i push it back to hard and slightly over a period of time move the tray towards the boot door , as the door does try to pull in but then stops , is there some sort of fail safe if something is behind the door when closing to stop it closing, not near cali so cannot check, as it as only just started happening and is intermittent!!
It won’t soft lock if the door is not able to get in the correct position because of an obstruction.

Back