Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate only opens to chest height..

Him&HerTravels

Him&HerTravels

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Having owned our 6.1 Ocean for about 2 months, there are still odd quirks that we notice from time to time. Latest...the tailgate. When you pull the release handle and give it a tug it opens by itself to approximately chest height (and that's without the bike rack which we removed straight after taking delivery). It has to be manually pushed to open full height. Is this the norm? What can we expect when we have the bike rack and bikes on?

I just watched a California Chris pdi video (no idea why I watched it as we already have the van:talktothehand), and at about 2:35 he opens the tailgate an it opens fully by itself.

If you check search there are a few post on this.

It's a weather thing. Come summer be fine.

Last edited:
Agree with @dspuk - ours it exactly the same. In the summer, stand back or it’ll take your chin off. Winter, it needs a push up for the last 30deg of travel.

Having owned our 6.1 Ocean for about 2 months, there are still odd quirks that we notice from time to time. Latest...the tailgate. When you pull the release handle and give it a tug it opens by itself to approximately chest height (and that's without the bike rack which we removed straight after taking delivery). It has to be manually pushed to open full height. Is this the norm? What can we expect when we have the bike rack and bikes on?

I just watched a California Chris pdi video (no idea why I watched it as we already have the van:talktothehand), and at about 2:35 he opens the tailgate an it opens fully by itself.
It all depends on the weather. If it’s cold then mine is reluctant to go up on its own. In the summer It fly’s up.
Also we have had ours replaced under warranty as when the service guy was working in the back and it dropped down on this head. Hence new struts.

Some say it is intended by vw to work this way to get the chairs out of the tailgate .
Agree. On my T6 Ocean I can adjust the open height by storing a few extra items (12v shower, wet suit in with the chairs)
In summer the tailgate just makes it to full open, slowly.
In winter it only opens to about half height and I have to take the extra items out to get it to its usual 3/4 height to retrieve the chairs. Chairs out full height open.
This is without a bike rack!!

If desired there is an option but would need checking for Cali door weight with chairs etc.

Sounds like a fault. Our 2012 tailgate with original struts opens almost fully with an empty bike rack.

You have to push manually to get the last few inches, but believe it’s designed this way so that vertically challenged people can still close the boot.

Sounds like a fault. Our 2012 tailgate with original struts opens almost fully with an empty bike rack.

You have to push manually to get the last few inches, but believe it’s designed this way so that vertically challenged people can still close the boot.
I am that vertically challenged person but understand the physics of in hot weather the tailgate goes up higher than in winter. In hot weather I have difficulty reaching the tailgate to pull it down and it takes more effort but that is the why things are. The strap is very useful to help pull it down without it I would not be able to close the tailgate. It is possible to lower it slightly and it will stay in that mid point till it is shut with my hand on the rear. In the summer I find the worst bit is the hot tailgate on my hand after I have lowered it then slam it shut .

Last edited:
Back