Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate raising question

:help When I got my new Cali in September 12, the tailgate opened very powerfully and went all the way up. After a month it no longer rises past about neck high and has to be pushed up rest of the way. I asked at dealer and was told this was what it was supposed to do to make it easy to remove the chairs from tailgate. This does not explain why it worked fine from new. I have no bike rack and no equipment in tailgate other than the chairs.
Could other owners tell me how far up their tailgate opens without pushing rest of way to top?
:thanks

Mine no longer opens fully without a push, but i have bike rack. Maybe try some wd40 on it.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

I have the same thing, but probaly low temperature play a role too.

The dealer is correct, if I remember correctly VW issued a bulletin about it.

Mine is 10 days old and it does the same. I thought it was a defect, now you tell me it's ok... :crazy

The TPI says something like -

Customer statement / workshop findings

The boot lid only opens to 45°. The customer must manually open the boot lid further.

Technical background

Standard condition on T5 California and T5 California Beach to facilitate removing of camping chairs.

Production change

No change

Measure

The boot lid has hydraulic dampers. The opening angle of the boot lid is 45°. To open it further the customer must press up the boot lid. When released the boot lid stays in its position.

The boot lid can be closed in stages till the 45° angle is reached.

Yes mine is 6 days old and I noticed it on delivery. I thought it was odd but it does make some sense.