Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Issues with new ocean

RE tailgate- do you put anthing in the chairs space for storage ie topper, screen cover etc?
Mine wouldn’t stay open, it was due to the extra weight I had stuffed in.
Correct spec struts are on.
Warmer weather helps as well. Increases pressure in the struts.

Yes I have windscreen cover in there but that does not weigh much....

Check your rams. There must be somewhere under all the text: 1250N
If it says 950N you have the "normal" rams, for not california's. The California must be fitted with the 1250N rams.
This means that each ram can hold up to 125 kg. So in total this is 250 kg.
Keeping in mind the high holding position on the bootlid, the weight of the bootlid itself, all the linings, 2 chairs, double glazing AND a bike rack.
If I take out the 2 chairs, put the back in the sun for a couple of minutes, enough to heat everything up, open the bootlid, and would not hold it, it would just open till it lands on the bonnet.
If I put in the 2 chairs, it opens normal, so with an additional bike rack, it might start to struggle to keep open, and with 4 bikes mounted, it won't stay open at all.

But take everything off the bootlid, including all the linings, try to close it. In really hot weather, I am practically unable to close it. I only have 70 kg to pull to the lid.

Yes thanks for that however I’ve tried using the straps but they don’t reach ....so I’m using a tree tie as a temporary fix that will probably turn in to a permanent fix as it’s impoosible to replicate when the van is stationary ...pretty poor I think for such an expensive item
Ive always used my bike wheel straps to hold bike rack closed, one left one right. VW rack, 11 year old Cali never been a problem. Make sure you use the right slots in the rack to go around the top bar. If not buy longer straps. I always use a hop-up box to do this job.

After recently taking delivery of my new Cali ocean it has been plagued with minor issues and I’m seriously thinking my purchase was a big mistake .... firstly the awning leg got stuck open on our first trip I had to “engineer” it to close it unfortunately the dealer can’t replicate it (I’ve not used it since) the tailgate with an empty bike rack on does not stay up (quite dangerous) and the bike rack itself opens with a thud if you go over 60 mph...has anybody else experienced this or have I just got a bad one ?

re tailgate we had the same thing on our new ocean. We didn't realise it wasn't right until we got our new awning room. We'd read on here that one can store it with the chairs. When we did this the tailgate wouldn't lift up at all. Took back to dealer who did assessment/diagnostic - said struts were 'weak' - replaced them under warranty. Now all fine - awning room stored with chairs no problems.

I am very sorry you have been having problems. Our T6 is also only a few weeks old and came from Vertu Vans Hereford. We did have a full handover which included a lengthy section on the awning and horror stories of what can go wrong etc if you don’t extend the legs shortly after starting the process, or fail to pin them down with the pegs. However, when our salesman came to demonstrate other functions, it turned out the leisure batteries were completely dead, so dead that everything kept reverting back into German. We were told to charge them at home, but they lost charge in a day with no obvious drain. Then they started buzzing loudly when plugged in.

I am a lawyer by trade and if something is new and doesn’t work, I am like a dog with a bone. In fairness, it only took a couple of phone calls and a couple of weeks back at the dealership getting everything tested (they wanted to make sure that that the buzzing wasn’t anything other than the batteries) and the dealership replaced the batteries under warranty.

I would say take your van back to the dealership and get them to check absolutely everything with you watching. You should not be afraid to use everything on your van. You should feel 100% confident that everything works. In addition, if they haven’t taught you properly the first time, then they must follow it up and show you again.

HOT TIP: Take a video of the hand over or the new demonstration on your phone. Insist upon it. We have found it very useful when we can’t quite remember how something works and it was also proof that the batteries were dead from hand over.

Hi
I recently purchased a new California was told at the dealership if fitting a bike rack up graded struts would be required.
For that reason I had a tow bar fitted with a 4 bike carrier system.
More versatile and in my opinion better overall especially when fitting and removing.

You buy a vw From a dealer for a reason..... just go back to the dealer and ask for a proper handover. That's what you've paid for, after service.
California Chris on u tube is brilliant to talk you through everything vw ocean.
Don't be put off, we love ours and apart from running the engine battery flat once we've had no
Problems.

You buy a vw From a dealer for a reason..... just go back to the dealer and ask for a proper handover. That's what you've paid for, after service.
California Chris on u tube is brilliant to talk you through everything vw ocean.
Don't be put off, we love ours and apart from running the engine battery flat once we've had no
Problems.

Bike rack

I had my bike rack descend once on a Spanish motorway - quite alarming. I think it was due to a child hanging off it earlier in the day, and it not being closed properly.

To close properly
  • push all eight wheel ramps to the extreme ends of the rails
  • close the rack fully
  • secure the rack in the closed position with the short arm clamp, jaws facing down
View attachment 46816

Snap! We have the identical B class ! Off topic but have you had any issues with those 18” wheels? In combination with the flipping low profile run flats, I find you bang and crash everywhere on our appalling roads and we’ve had 2 of the alloys develop cracks and leak. Luckily there’s always few on eBay.

Snap! We have the identical B class ! Off topic but have you had any issues with those 18” wheels? In combination with the flipping low profile run flats, I find you bang and crash everywhere on our appalling roads and we’ve had 2 of the alloys develop cracks and leak. Luckily there’s always few on eBay.
That's a friend's car, not mine.

Back