Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate stuck

Trav88

Trav88

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Not sure if anyone has had the same problem on their VW T5 Cali, but my boot if currently locked shut and I can't for the life of me get it open! It makes all the right noises when I open and close the car with the central locking button. And sounds like it is unlocking, but it just wont open. The handel moves freely but its almost like it isnt connecting with something. Ive also tried putting the key in the lock and turning it, but no joy there either.

Can I open the boot from inside?

Any advise?

Thanks!

smgcowfoldparts

smgcowfoldparts

Trade Advertiser
How old is the vehicle? Have seen it a lot where someone/something has gone into the tailgate and broken the rod that opens the tailgate from the handle. Unfortunately if this is the case, then you will have to cut through all of the door trim, chairs etc...in the tailgate to be able to remove the door trim to then be able to open the tailgate from the inside and check to see what has happened.

cheers

bvddobb

bvddobb

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
That is very unfortunate!

On the German Cali-board is a rather recent topic on the same issue, and someone explains there, including pictures, where to go and which mechanism to manipulate. You have to rummage around from the inside to open your camping chair compartment zipper, move the chairs upwards as much as you can, and then drill a 20 mm hole from inside through your inner lining to get at the lock mechanism...
:shocked

It is in German, I hope it may help you: http://www.caliboard.de/showthread.php? ... #post95193

Trav88

Trav88

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi, Thanks for the reply, I've been looking at the German site in Google Chrome translated into English and its a very good post with lots of information. Looks complicated!I was going to take it to a local garage, but I'm sure they'll do a right bodge job. Next weekend I'll have a go at it, it really is a pain not being able to open the boot!!!
I'll post my results!

L

lewisnoble

VIP Member
A real pain, sorry to hear it.

I met a guy on a campsite who had had a similar problem (in his case, a minor shunt into the tailgate dislodged the connection), and it seems the only way in a quite destructive and expensive.

Good luck with working from the German website and do keep us posted.

I was concerned about this, and my brother and I dismantled the tailgate and fitted an 'emergency' release mechanism - a thin cord going down through the inside from the release linkage, hidden at the bottom of the tailgate and wrapped round the seating of the cycle carrier - I have a carrier that is secured onto the bottom of the tailgate, not like the VW one. The tailgate is still secure, the cord is almost invisible, but I can get in if anything happens.

While we were about it, we fitted a better retaining clip on the linkage - on my 2008 van it looked pretty feeble.

On most campervan conversions, the tailgate is left pretty much as original, so the inside door release is retained and can be reached. The Cali is unusual with its storage area for the chairs, which we all find so useful, but is a pain when this happens.

Good luck!!

C

Chris 50+

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, Thanks for the reply, I've been looking at the German site in Google Chrome translated into English and its a very good post with lots of information. Looks complicated!I was going to take it to a local garage, but I'm sure they'll do a right bodge job. Next weekend I'll have a go at it, it really is a pain not being able to open the boot!!!
I'll post my results!

C

Chris 50+

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi trav88 , I've got the same problem you had, and I just wondered whether you sorted it and if so how?

hotel california

hotel california

18 'till i die....
Staff member
Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
This tread is sleeping for nearly two years , guess the booth is still closed:Nailbiting

C

Chris 50+

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, is there any body out there that has had the tail gate stop working? I can't open the tailgate and having read the forum I've seen a posting back in 2014 and I'm in the process of translating the German posting, but just thought I would ask the question incase somebody could save me some time. Cheers

C

Chris 50+

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, my tailgate will not open, I have read the postings from 2014 but wondered if anybody had any quick fix options.
Cheers

jts46

jts46

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Mine would not opentuesday am due to pressure washing on Monday , freezing overnight causing ice on seal

John

C

Chris 50+

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Thanks John, unfortunately that's not the answer to my problem

CALI FATE

CALI FATE

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Try pressing the internal door lock / unlock buttons - mine stays locked until i press the button, regardless of openning the doors from the inside - just a thought.

hotel california

hotel california

18 'till i die....
Staff member
Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Could be it can be fixed by connecting it to VDS computer
An error or faulty code in the system

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Link appears broken, would you like me to remove it, or did you want to update? Cheers, Matt. :)