Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate won't open

R

Rob1972

Vehicle
Cali now sold
We're out camping and I can't open the tailgate. The handle doesn't seem to engage the electronic release (I think that's what happens as it usually whirrs a bit)
Tried locking/unlocking several times with remote and key in the lock. That sounds like it releases correctly from what I can hear.
Is there any way to release it or are we stuck until we can get to a garage?

Do you have a tailgate lock/unlock button on your key fob - it's a fourth button located on the side of the fob. If so, try pressing it to unlock.

Hunted You Tube for some help but all needed to get to inside of door with panel needing to come off.
One Guy found that to get his working again (after hours of stripping and getting nowhere) was to have tailgate open--start engine- stop/switch off engine- close tailgate and it all worked again.

Bit more hunting >
On the inside at the bottom centre there is rubber bung between the lock and chair bag that seems to give access to release the latch/lock. Poke a finger or rod in apparently.

More than that needs the whole panel off.

Mine did this one time. Was a nightmare because all of our stuff was in the boot. Accepted it, started driving home and it randomly started working again when I got home. Not had a problem since, and it’s been about a year now… Have you tried engaging the handle in multiple places at different angles?

Thanks both.

Luckily we had removed the chairs so should be easier to access when I get home to look at this. Assuming it doesn't fix itself on the journey back.

I've tried wiggling it and at different angles. I've also given it some percussive encouragement without success.

Right, I've managed to get the chair fabric loose and pull the bottom of the door card a bit. When I did that a little wire connecting rod with a plastic ball joint at the end fell down. So that seems to be the issue. The problem is, fishing around behind the door card I can't find anything to pull without having a mental image of what's behind there.

BTW, my Cali is a 2008 SE so there is no rubber bung to remove. I think there is a thread on here with a similar issue so I'll see if I can find it.

Mine did this one time. Was a nightmare because all of our stuff was in the boot. Accepted it, started driving home and it randomly started working again when I got home. Not had a problem since, and it’s been about a year now… Have you tried engaging the handle in multiple places at different angles?
That’s the wonderful thing about VW vans, they have a mind of their own.

Right, I've managed to get the chair fabric loose and pull the bottom of the door card a bit. When I did that a little wire connecting rod with a plastic ball joint at the end fell down. So that seems to be the issue. The problem is, fishing around behind the door card I can't find anything to pull without having a mental image of what's behind there.

BTW, my Cali is a 2008 SE so there is no rubber bung to remove. I think there is a thread on here with a similar issue so I'll see if I can find it.
Is this of any use? For 2008 model.
Click on link below.

Is this of any use? For 2008 model.
Click on link below.

Yes, thanks. I have part 44 in my hand. I am trying to fish around to find 20 to pull it for release. Unfortunately this is down at the base of the door where there is no access hole so I am poking down the tiny gap between the locking mechanism and the inside door skin.

In the end I bit the bullet and drilled a couple of holes near the latch mechanism. One of these allowed me to see what I was doing and the other allowed me to put in a screwdriver and lever up the release mechanism. I managed this just before the thunderstorm arrived! I'll tidy up the holes and put a couple of rubber stoppers in.

However I now have another problem. I must have upset something because now when I close the boot all I hear is a faint electronic click but the boot tightening motor doesn't start any more. I can't see anything on the diagram - does anyone know what I've done?

IMG_20230612_170333.jpg

Check the battery charge. If depleted things like this occur.

In the end I bit the bullet and drilled a couple of holes near the latch mechanism. One of these allowed me to see what I was doing and the other allowed me to put in a screwdriver and lever up the release mechanism. I managed this just before the thunderstorm arrived! I'll tidy up the holes and put a couple of rubber stoppers in.

However I now have another problem. I must have upset something because now when I close the boot all I hear is a faint electronic click but the boot tightening motor doesn't start any more. I can't see anything on the diagram - does anyone know what I've done?

View attachment 109657
Have you been able to replace the misplaced rod on the lock mechanism.
If not it may be responsible for not activating the microswitch that controls the soft close mechanism.

Have you been able to replace the misplaced rod on the lock mechanism.
If not it may be responsible for not activating the microswitch that controls the soft close mechanism.
Yes, the rod is connected which is how I can now open the boot with the handle. Looks like I'm going to have to take everything off again and try to see what else has fallen off. I think all this stemmed from me having to slam the boot shut due to the amount of stuff I'd crammed in - lesson learned!

This might help to see what's in there, if not seen already.

A final call for help before I resort to having to take it to VW - getting frustrated now!

I am able to open and close the tailgate with the handle but the motor tightener does not engage. I've taken everything apart for the umpteenth time and checked voltage on the sensor wire going to the latch (I get 12V and 5V) and checked continuity on the pins with the latch open and closed which looks correct. The dashboard displays the correct state of the tailgate when open and closed so that sensor appears to be good. I've checked all of the fuses in the dashboard and they are fine. I haven't looked the ones under the seat.

What I get is when I close the boot there is a brief pause and then I hear a faint dull click like a small relay. I believe the pause is when the motor should be operating. I've tried to remove the mechanism but taking out the 3 long screws doesn't allow it to be removed. I don't want to go further in case I make things worse.

Is there anything I else I should be looking at/for? I'm at my wits end with this and our holiday is fast approaching! Help!

I have fixed it!
I dismantled the the floor trim around the latch and got access to the motorised unit. Upon gaining access to this I found a copious amount of sand and pine needles. I carefully opened the motor unit and cleaned this out, re-greased all moving parts and it is back working better than before.
The photo is showing what the mechanism looks like after you open it.

IMG_20230626_173011.jpg

Back