Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate stuck

Trav88

Trav88

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Not sure if anyone has had the same problem on their VW T5 Cali, but my boot if currently locked shut and I can't for the life of me get it open! It makes all the right noises when I open and close the car with the central locking button. And sounds like it is unlocking, but it just wont open. The handel moves freely but its almost like it isnt connecting with something. Ive also tried putting the key in the lock and turning it, but no joy there either.

Can I open the boot from inside?

Any advise?

Thanks!

How old is the vehicle? Have seen it a lot where someone/something has gone into the tailgate and broken the rod that opens the tailgate from the handle. Unfortunately if this is the case, then you will have to cut through all of the door trim, chairs etc...in the tailgate to be able to remove the door trim to then be able to open the tailgate from the inside and check to see what has happened.

cheers

That is very unfortunate!

On the German Cali-board is a rather recent topic on the same issue, and someone explains there, including pictures, where to go and which mechanism to manipulate. You have to rummage around from the inside to open your camping chair compartment zipper, move the chairs upwards as much as you can, and then drill a 20 mm hole from inside through your inner lining to get at the lock mechanism...
:shocked

It is in German, I hope it may help you: http://www.caliboard.de/showthread.php? ... #post95193

Hi, Thanks for the reply, I've been looking at the German site in Google Chrome translated into English and its a very good post with lots of information. Looks complicated!I was going to take it to a local garage, but I'm sure they'll do a right bodge job. Next weekend I'll have a go at it, it really is a pain not being able to open the boot!!!
I'll post my results!

A real pain, sorry to hear it.

I met a guy on a campsite who had had a similar problem (in his case, a minor shunt into the tailgate dislodged the connection), and it seems the only way in a quite destructive and expensive.

Good luck with working from the German website and do keep us posted.

I was concerned about this, and my brother and I dismantled the tailgate and fitted an 'emergency' release mechanism - a thin cord going down through the inside from the release linkage, hidden at the bottom of the tailgate and wrapped round the seating of the cycle carrier - I have a carrier that is secured onto the bottom of the tailgate, not like the VW one. The tailgate is still secure, the cord is almost invisible, but I can get in if anything happens.

While we were about it, we fitted a better retaining clip on the linkage - on my 2008 van it looked pretty feeble.

On most campervan conversions, the tailgate is left pretty much as original, so the inside door release is retained and can be reached. The Cali is unusual with its storage area for the chairs, which we all find so useful, but is a pain when this happens.

Good luck!!

Hi, Thanks for the reply, I've been looking at the German site in Google Chrome translated into English and its a very good post with lots of information. Looks complicated!I was going to take it to a local garage, but I'm sure they'll do a right bodge job. Next weekend I'll have a go at it, it really is a pain not being able to open the boot!!!
I'll post my results!

Hi trav88 , I've got the same problem you had, and I just wondered whether you sorted it and if so how?

This tread is sleeping for nearly two years , guess the booth is still closed:Nailbiting

Hi, is there any body out there that has had the tail gate stop working? I can't open the tailgate and having read the forum I've seen a posting back in 2014 and I'm in the process of translating the German posting, but just thought I would ask the question incase somebody could save me some time. Cheers

Hi, my tailgate will not open, I have read the postings from 2014 but wondered if anybody had any quick fix options.
Cheers

Mine would not opentuesday am due to pressure washing on Monday , freezing overnight causing ice on seal

John

Thanks John, unfortunately that's not the answer to my problem

Try pressing the internal door lock / unlock buttons - mine stays locked until i press the button, regardless of openning the doors from the inside - just a thought.

Could be it can be fixed by connecting it to VDS computer
An error or faulty code in the system

Link appears broken, would you like me to remove it, or did you want to update? Cheers, Matt. :)

Thank you it was a great help.
Cheers Chris

I successfully opened my tailgate following instructions and photos from German site (earlier answer) which I joined and translated into English. Briefly : 7 cm from right black plug holding chair cover fabric ( in direction of left black plug ) & then 1 cm up I drilled a very neat 30mm hole through thin board panel. Use a good hole cutter. To make enough space and to push back black fabric remove two black plugs with correct hex key ( look carefully they are two part!) Also pushed back chair back fabric by removing a bolt in side of chair that is visible. This drilled 30mm hole will be hidden behind the black fabric when finished. I located the brass button and pushed up with finger through hole. No joy ! so I bent a strong wire coathanger into loop end and fished downwards through hole for 5-10 mins hooking and pulling strongly with wife outside pulling on handle and hey presto it came open. If you need any more details please contact me. I still have to go to garage for new lock (keeping tailgate open) but I didn't trust a garage to do that bit and risk hours of labour charges and wrecked panels and chair carriage etc.

Hi @californiaT5,
I just got my tailgate locked yesterday. I've read the german post and yours and still lack some confidence.
I spent a good three hours yesterday trying to get my hands around the chairs. Even removed the bottom panel (a panel from the platform not the tailgate) hoping to unscrew the iron loop where the lock locks. Unfortunately, chairs get on the way on every attempt.

I will try again today, at least I'll look for the details mentioned to try to release the chairs black back cloth cover. In the meantime, would you be able to post a fer pictures? (I'm not english-native and often some technical terms are confusing or not properly trasnlated).

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk