Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate vs Towbar

N

NZCol

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just assessing options and would like some feedback from those that are using bike racks with Calis now.

Considering the VW tailgate rack vs an Atera one. Van has towbar and electrics. Will be used mainly for long holidays 4 weeks + in generally remote areas with very little town/city parking (I live in NZ, we don't have many big cities :clap ) Will probably be removed inbetween times. Height could be an issue as while i can get the van into my car park at work its a tight fit so anything above roof height would be a no no. Length less of an issue.

Quite keen on that Atera rack as it looks simple to get on and off, i can store it easily and it has light board etc. once i get it rewired. Would appreciate any observatios of either. Oh and its for 2/3 MTB's with wide bars

Looks like you have answered your own question :thumb atera it is :thumb

Yup, if you don't want anything higher than the roof then the tailgate options will be out of the window. Atera Strada DL3 ... You know you want to ;) :D

OK then, so how solid is it in use ? I mean side to side and the wobble factor ?

Yup, totally solid, just remember, dry tow ball, not greased.

I have the removable tow ball, and the whole system is rock solid.

Final question I promise !

What about exit angles as the van is reasonably low and I'm worried about it grounding - nz has a lot of fords and parking buildings with decent drops in and out

I have VW bike rack & will be fitting tow bar & altera sometime this summer. Rack adds to drag even when not in use & therefore hits mpg. Altera only put on when want to use it.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Result - I managed to go and look at one, the wholesaler has only brought one in ever but its his so i had a squizz at it. Looks godo so ordered one. Must say the price was OK too having had to seek medical intervention after VW told me the price of the factory rack ($2400 NZ or about 1200 quid !!!), this is $500 which even with reqiring the plug will be good value. Cheers for the help. Will post photos of the van once its here and setup.

Back