Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tap for kitchen sink and water pump

Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Dear all,

There is a lot of information available about the issues with the water tap and the pump for the Grand California. My tap was replaced by the VW dealer already. We spoke about the tap and I expect that there will be problems with the water pressure / supply because of the Reich tap in the near future again.

If I provide a different, more reliable tap, my VW dealer agreed to install the tap and the pump (even if they are no spare parts from VW).

Now, the more I read about the taps and pumps the more confused I get. Obviously I would like to buy a product that will sort the issue and last for a few years.

Because of this I was wondering who replaced the original VW spare parts successfully with 3rd party parts. I am looking for:

Tap for kitchen sink
  • The same size (40 mm high)
  • 27 mm installation mount
  • 3 bar
  • Micro switch IP rated
Pump
  • 12 V
  • 21 or 22 l/min (a wee bit more than the original)
  • 3 A
  • 45W
It would be brilliant if you could let me know about the items you have used or at least considered to get.

Thank you.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello,

After all the (repair) work on the camper has been done, I concentrate a bit more on the kitchen tap and water pump.

If you have changed in your GC 600 or 680 the pump or the kitchen tap please let me know which model you have chosen.

Thank you.
Eberhard

I also looked into doing this. I even ordered a couple of replacement options. However they were both worse than the one already on (ie they would have let water in to the micro switch area more easily) and would have required re-drilling the sink tap aperture.

In the end I’m getting by having disassembled the tap and coated all moving joints on the tap with waterproof grease…

I also looked into doing this. I even ordered a couple of replacement options. However they were both worse than the one already on (ie they would have let water in to the micro switch area more easily) and would have required re-drilling the sink tap aperture.

In the end I’m getting by having disassembled the tap and coated all moving joints on the tap with waterproof grease…

Hello,

I found a few taps wich are IP rated (can't remember was it IP 67 or IP 68). But they all have a installation mount of at least 33 mm.

I think it is possible to get them installed (obviously after the mount was widened), but because my VW dealer agreed to install a none VW approved tap I try to find a tap that won't need any change of the installation mount.

Regards,
Eberhard

I found the kitchen tap to be an easy fix and can be done in-situ.
Take the red/blue cap out of the top with a blade. Unscrew the 2mm Allen key under it and the tap opens up. You will see the micro switch. Seperate the two switch plates by a couple of mm. It stops it arcing and contacting over bumps therefore stops pump constantly running.

If you do want a new tap they are reich sold by reimo. The link below is to a chrome one that’s also slightly longer spout.

Hello Bendwg,

Thank you for the link, I saw this tap as well.

I was hoping to find a tap that is IP rated (which I thought should be standard), but it seems none of the taps from Reich are.
I contacted the company Comet. They said they have IP rated taps, but the installation mount from all of them is 33mm instead of 27mm.
I don't want to ask my VW dealer to widen the installation mount on the sink. I am glad they agreed to install a none VW tap for me as an exception.

So, because of this I still look for a kitchen tap for the Grand California which is IP rated and can be installed in the sink without any alternation.

I hope it exists.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello,

Yesterday I read in the Caliboard Forum that it seems that VW finally acknoldged that there is a problem with the kitchen tap and will offer a new, better one (I hope that information is not only wishful thinking).

So, I will hold off to get a different, not standard VW tap, until I know for sure. At the moment it is working (have I said that, I haven't used it a lot at the moment).

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard

Hello,

Yesterday I read in the Caliboard Forum that it seems that VW finally acknoldged that there is a problem with the kitchen tap and will offer a new, better one (I hope that information is not only wishful thinking).

So, I will hold off to get a different, not standard VW tap, until I know for sure. At the moment it is working (have I said that, I haven't used it a lot at the moment).

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard

Yay!

I have had tap/water pump issue since I received my new GC680 in Q1 this year. The dealer has told me that VW centrally are aware of the issue and trying hard to fix it but no solution just yet. They also warned that putting a different tap/pump in would invalidate warranty. I agree that best to wait. VW have to solve this one and we should put pressure on them to do so.

I’ve just been hit with the tap problem. The water pump was running continuously until I pulled the fuse.
Despite the pump not running the tap and toilet flush still appear to work, I assume this is just because of the built up pressure in the system if so, any idea as to how long the waters going to run for until I need to crawl back under the bed to put the fuse back for a minute.

I can’t get the tap apart to dry out the switch at the moment. It’s getting late & I havnt got the right tools with me.

I’ve just been hit with the tap problem. The water pump was running continuously until I pulled the fuse.
Same happened to us this weekend. Disconnected power to the pump by lifting the access panel above the water tank - seems easier doing that than trying to access the fuses.

I discovered i had a 2mm allen key so had a go at the suggested fix. Its actually quite stright forward and effective. However, a magnifying glass or app for your phone is essential as the contacts are tiny and fiddly to prise apart.

Seems to have dried out overnight so I’ve put the fuse back & am just avoiding using the kitchen tap

Hello,

Just updating this thread about the tap in the kitchen.

Yesterday I got the new VW tap for the kitchen. The camper was with my VW dealer for Oel service and got the tap changed. This took only half a day (both).

I did some tests in the afternoon. Maybe it is wishful thinking but I believe the water pressure has improved somewhat and the switch is working well with the pump (which was not the case with the old tap).

Of course I don't know the long term reliability, but at the moment it looks good. I am pleased with the change and can recommend it to all GC owners.

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard

Hello,

Yesterday I got the new VW tap for the kitchen. The camper was with my VW dealer for Oel service and got the tap changed. This took only half a day (both).

I did some tests in the afternoon. Maybe it is wishful thinking but I believe the water pressure has improved somewhat and the switch is working well with the pump (which was not the case with the old tap).

Of course I don't know the long term reliability, but at the moment it looks good. I am pleased with the change and can recommend it to all GC owners.

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard
Vw is only attach new tap - tap is not Vw product - tap is manufacture by Riech.

Reich is now have new design that is having waterproof electric parts that only pump operate when is demand water operation open tap.

Early model tap is water able passage toward electric contact and of course is pump begin operation wrong time. Each Grand California owner can with warranty asking Vw remove early design Reich tap and installing revision model tap what is inside seal water electric contacts.

Then is good for each owner not have water pump make kaput such old tap demand water when is not require.

Hello,

There is always one ....

"... Vw is only attach new tap - tap is not Vw product - tap is manufacture by Riech...."

I know that the tap is not manufactured by Volkswagen Nutzfahrzeuge. I tried to make my life easier because I typed the post on my phone. By the way, the company's name is "Reich"... :).

At the end it doesn't matter from where the tap is - the VW dealer has to install it as a VW spare part and my first impression is that 1.) it doesn't take as long as I read somewhere else and 2.) it is recommended because, for me, it feels better.

Some dealer might not want to do it, if the older version from Reich is still working, but I would suggest to put pressure on the VW dealer to do it because it seems worth it.

Happy new kitchen tap (from German manufacturer Reich) Grand California,
Eberhard

Last edited:
I had our 680 serviced at our local VW service centre earlier this week and according to them there is no record in the VW warranty system which identifies a faulty tap in GC's.
Ours hasn't given us any problems (touch wood) but ideally I would like it replaced before our warranty expires.
Does anyone have an official notice or a warranty reference number that I can show my local dealer please

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Hello,

There is always one ....

"... Vw is only attach new tap - tap is not Vw product - tap is manufacture by Riech...."

I know that the tap is not manufactured by Volkswagen Nutzfahrzeuge. I tried to make my life easier because I typed the post on my phone. By the way, the company's name is "Reich"... :).

At the end it doesn't matter from where the tap is - the VW dealer has to install it as a VW spare part and my first impression is that 1.) it doesn't take as long as I read somewhere else and 2.) it is recommended because, for me, it feels better.

Some dealer might not want to do it, if the older version from Reich is still working, but I would suggest to put pressure on the VW dealer to do it because it seems worth it.

Happy new kitchen tap (from German manufacturer Reich) Grand California,
Eberhard
If you are enjoy to make question for Always one - then i am explain why I am write article.

Not is everybody familiar so is not Vw makes this bad old tap.

You are writing -
" Hello,

Yesterday I got the new VW tap for the kitchen. "

The new VW tap you are write - not I.

I am try be help people who is not knowing this tap informations yet - some peoples have soon new Grand California and learn each day something new. Same is for me - is a big learning many things this wunderbar camping machine.

So i am like help they are knowing is not VW tap - I am not want make troubles to you and i am happy you are having new tap now and i am wishing it give you good service and much joy.
I wishing you many happy campings!

I had our 680 serviced at our local VW service centre earlier this week and according to them there is no record in the VW warranty system which identifies a faulty tap in GC's.
Ours hasn't given us any problems (touch wood) but ideally I would like it replaced before our warranty expires.
Does anyone have an official notice or a warranty reference number that I can show my local dealer please

Of course time is not yet Vw each country is make Official Tap identify trouble and rectify procedures. I am think is delicate situation Vw Germany and Tap manufacture contract. When is Vw makes official procedure is tell to customer Vw is know and respond tap is problem, is tap manufacture can be not happy to Vw - is complicate situation.

Home market Vw service center is replace old tap to new tap not must make big argue situation - is familiar problem to service center which work repair and sell Grand California and is driving in and can enjoy experience Café und Kuchen, then is 1 hour after ready driving home and enjoying new tap!.

Is good you join home market forum the Grand California you can using translate if you not german fluent and is some owners will write situation in english for other peoples understand. Is very good help for you follow home market forum and can knowing troubles and solutions learning.

May it be you can ask you Vw sell agent you are knowing is tap troubles many owner tells internet Grand California group and you are wishing new tap attach more soon than when is trouble occur you old tap.

Of course time is not yet Vw each country is make Official Tap identify trouble and rectify procedures. I am think is delicate situation Vw Germany and Tap manufacture contract. When is Vw makes official procedure is tell to customer Vw is know and respond tap is problem, is tap manufacture can be not happy to Vw - is complicate situation.

Home market Vw service center is replace old tap to new tap not must make big argue situation - is familiar problem to service center which work repair and sell Grand California and is driving in and can enjoy experience Café und Kuchen, then is 1 hour after ready driving home and enjoying new tap!.

Is good you join home market forum the Grand California you can using translate if you not german fluent and is some owners will write situation in english for other peoples understand. Is very good help for you follow home market forum and can knowing troubles and solutions learning.

May it be you can ask you Vw sell agent you are knowing is tap troubles many owner tells internet Grand California group and you are wishing new tap attach more soon than when is trouble occur you old tap.
Fair point's - thank you

I'm tempted just to buy the new version of the tap and fit it myself after all it surely can't be that difficult a job...

I've also had the new tap fitted on our GC 600s. AFAIK the tap is now an official TPI (Technical Bulletin) and can be replaced free of charge under warranty. It looks and feels much better. Time will tell of course but VW wouldn't have taken so long to address this without making sure that this new tap is up to standard...or at least I sincerely hope so!

20220514_100524.jpg

I take it the new Reich from VW is not the Samba mixtap/Chrome? Doesn’t look like it in the pic as the samba has a kink.

I was thinking of buying the powerjet 22l pump and the tap as a pre emotive solution. But if this tap is as prone as the original maybe not.

I've also had the new tap fitted on our GC 600s. AFAIK the tap is now an official TPI (Technical Bulletin) and can be replaced free of charge under warranty. It looks and feels much better. Time will tell of course but VW wouldn't have taken so long to address this without making sure that this new tap is up to standard...or at least I sincerely hope so!

View attachment 93274
Hi Darryl,

Also had mine fitted today and had the gas line tested and certified. Looks better than the old one also seems to flow better.

Will

Help...in deepest Portugal, 3 weeks into trip and the f*****g microswitch on (assume) kitchen tap won't switch off water pump. Frankly sick to back teeth with the unreliability of this very expensive grand California. I have removed 5 amp fuse to deactivate pump but now face prospect of 2 more weeks without pump.
Is there a quick fix by getting access to micro switch under sink?
How do I get to it?
If drawer needs to be removed ...how?
So far....new fridge, new catches on cupboards, self diagnosed and fixed faulty connections to sat dish, control panel freezes every couple of weeks. Great concept, VW but crap delivery.
Any advice please...and to those thinking of buying....my advice...think again

Help...in deepest Portugal, 3 weeks into trip and the f*****g microswitch on (assume) kitchen tap won't switch off water pump. Frankly sick to back teeth with the unreliability of this very expensive grand California. I have removed 5 amp fuse to deactivate pump but now face prospect of 2 more weeks without pump.
Is there a quick fix by getting access to micro switch under sink?
How do I get to it?
If drawer needs to be removed ...how?
So far....new fridge, new catches on cupboards, self diagnosed and fixed faulty connections to sat dish, control panel freezes every couple of weeks. Great concept, VW but crap delivery.
Any advice please...and to those thinking of buying....my advice...think again
Was in the same position re the tap last week. If you pull out the top under sink draw, - just pull out to full extent & then lift up the front edge & it should pop off the runners. You can then get to the cable that feeds the tap switch, I cut that. You can then put the fuse back in & have water working everywhere else. The shower hose enables that tap to reach the kitchen sink if needed.

I understand the new tap comes with a new cable. If not its only a 2 minute job to rejoin it.

Last edited:
Back