Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tear Drop Trailers

Hi ya Trebor, yes we’ve just been talking about it at breakfast this morning , the very same point about what else one can use the trailer for .. conclusion was the same better get one ASAP before we head off the Italy and Croatia ...( mini convoy that trip too btw another couple are joining in a T5 , down the coast of Italy and up the coast of Croatia ...) . I do fancy the 750 with bike racks and all accessories...didn’t know about braked versions ..wonder if one would notice the difference?

You’re welcome to try mine first if you like .

The Anssems are indeed very good. They are well made and secure. If I was going to buy new again I would definitely look at them.

The box trailers can be huge. I've hired them in the past for taking the luggage of a youth group to a camp. I found the double axle trailer very easy to tow and much easier to reverse. The brakes were very effective too.

Don't forget about day to day storage.

But was it ever put into production?

Rear seat very heavy and the further it goes back the more load on rear suspension .

Makes naff all difference.
100kg, moved 500mm within the wheelbase of a 3 tonne vehicle is immaterial, the difference between a full & empty fuel tank would have more effect.. Certainly not enough on its own to warrant changing the rear springs.

I disagree . I’ve moved the seat and road tested . Have you ? It wasn’t the reason I changed the springs if you take the time to read my posts .

Yes I had taken the time to read your post properly & have done so once agin, so could you please clarify because I must be missing something. You state:

"This is only really possible because of the T32 rear springs I had fitted"

What then is only possible by fitting T32 springs? if you are not referring to moving the bench further back.

And Yes I have moved the seat & road tested, until recently in our van when used as a daily driver the rear shelf & mattress were left at home all the time.

Anyone with a 7 seats in Beach would have the bench in that position anyway.
Putting a passenger in the front seat or filling the fuel tank from empty would have a similar effect on the load distribution.

I've got a seven seater had mine fully loaded seven people on board full tank of fuel and a trailer full of camping gear no problem whatsoever stable as anything.

View attachment 32517 What about one of these ?
Hmmm , we are presently negotiating on a second hand nearly new mini mini caravan , the logic is that it will serve as , only on longer trips. a permanent fixed bed , storage solution for clothes ...mini toilet ...and wash basin in its sink ...it has heating too gas and electric . It will be a Cali extension . Then we can put the seat back in the Cali and use all the storage space in the cabin for food and behind the seat and in rear cupboards for technical stuff . The Cali will be the kitchen and lounge ...if we exceptionally have guests they or we can go up or on bottom double in Cali . This will also solve bad weather issues in winter with top up . We will be able to drive off to town shops etc without unmaking the bed each time . That’s a sort of logic , but of course still can’t take rubbish to tip and the price is around 10K ...not 2k ...

Sounds interesting Niborn . Any photos ? Will you be taking to Norway ? I’ve been thinking about Eriba for a while and there is a big agent in Poole . Might go and have a look .

Last edited:
Last edited:
CD3B9ACF-47D5-4C95-A7EA-DBDADD938B83.jpeg 68445097-449B-4ADF-BC3A-412D782C7731.jpeg 7B5C6519-F3E8-4A38-AF21-E4ED483D894B.jpeg Looks nice haven’t seen those before . This is Eriba dealer in Poole Niborn . They look like they have lots in stock new and second hand . I think the good thing about these is that they are very easy to sell if you change your mind . They are made by Hymer and very Iight .Granny Jen has one I think . I haven’t been there but often thought about going . The Eriba Puck is the smallest I think .

Also picture of rear seat in rear position with stop remove in track giving much more living space in van .

http://www.automotiveleisure.co.uk/

Last edited:
View attachment 32561 View attachment 32562 View attachment 32563 Looks nice haven’t seen those before . This is Eriba dealer in Poole Niborn . They look like they have lots in stock new and second hand . I think the good thing about these is that they are very easy to sell if you change your mind . They are made by Hymer and very Iight .Granny Jen has one I think . I haven’t been there but often thought about going .

Also picture of rear seat in rear position with stop remove in track giving much more living space in van .

Yes , I saw them , much bigger than a go pod though and double at least the price I think ...they do look great though ... I’ll look again

Your huge lounge area looks amazing what a difference ...

D
View attachment 32561 View attachment 32562 View attachment 32563 Looks nice haven’t seen those before . This is Eriba dealer in Poole Niborn . They look like they have lots in stock new and second hand . I think the good thing about these is that they are very easy to sell if you change your mind . They are made by Hymer and very Iight .Granny Jen has one I think . I haven’t been there but often thought about going . The Eriba Puck is the smallest I think .

does Granny Jen have one really , wow she doesn’t mention it much

I’ve been on the site , looks great , love to pop by but we are so far away ...

664CAC00-9A3E-415A-80F6-842984E8F500.jpeg 632345F1-EFA0-428F-9CC7-59C592BAA6FD.jpeg Couple of pictures I’ve found on Forum Niborn . Bottom one is Granny Jen .

View attachment 32573 View attachment 32574 Couple of pictures I’ve found on Forum Niborn . Bottom one is Granny Jen .
Looks great and I like the specifications on these vans too , that’s 10m cornbined though , I’d like to hear what Granny Jen says about the two together , surely the best of both worlds on a longer trip , second hand prices are not too bad ...

I am swapping my current Eriba for another one. Same model, Triton 430, but slightly newer. A couple of changes. Post 2012 LED's instead of halogens, smaller bathroom less intrusive into the living space.

It also has a lighter colour wood. My Sister found the interior to be quite oppressive with the dark wood so loved by German caravan and motorhome manufacturers. It didn't bother me but it did her.

I bought off Automotive leisure, the trade in and purchase of the new one was made so easy. Very good people to deal with and probably the widest stock of used Eriba's in the country.

In terms of towing: The main difference between the models is length, only the troll is wider at 2.2m. The puck is no longer made, the most of the Familia range does not have a bathroom so that leaves the triton in the narrow width's. The narrow width, low roofline and structural rigidity from being built on to a metal frame makes for impeccable towing manners. At 60mph on a motorway it rides serenely behind you totally unperturbed by wind or suction from HGV's, or worse, fast coaches. I have to keep looking in the mirror to make sure it is there.

Quite honestly, I looked at trailer tents, trailers with a tent, awnings in a trailer, and came to the conclusion that it was just as easy to tow a low roof height, narrow caravan as anything else. It is only two inches wider than the Cali, no need for towing mirrors , and if you can squeeze through a space without bashing the mirrors then the Eriba will follow. Equally it's not much higher either, a big factor when choosing over other narrow caravans such as the Tab.

I looked at go-pods, incredibly tiny, no loo and bugger all kitchen unless you want to keep popping in and out. Getting an eriba was a no-brainer compared to those.

Living accommodation is lovely once you get used to it, but anyone used to a Cali would be used to it. Let's say space is used very economically. We use it as our dining room, and it is my Sister's bedroom. We have found it so comfortable and relaxed as a dining space all thoughts of eating out have just disappeared. We have spent many happy, relaxed evenings eating and drinking wine in it. My sister finds making the bed very easy and sleeps like a log in the thing, which means its usually me taking the dogs for a walk first thing :sad Like the Cali the heating is ferocious but so is the gas consumption so best getting a small electric heater.

You may find yourself being charged for two pitches on some sites, definitely on CC sites, a nuisance but for us the extra £20 a night is an irritant but not a deal breaker.

So, in a nutshell: We have camped for 22 nights in some atrocious weather, (we have yet to have one dry day), Snow, mud, high winds, and have had so much fun that we are trading up to another one.

cotswolds_Fotor.jpg

And with many thanks to Granny Jen (although she won't realise her input), we have one too (as well as the trailer). 20180409_225759.jpg Also from Automotive Leisure. It's a Familia 320. It's for my daughter, rather than my sister. It's easy to tow and extremely cosy! We've only been away for three nights so far. (Work has gone a little crazy.) But more trips are planned for both the summer and before.

I am swapping my current Eriba for another one. Same model, Triton 430, but slightly newer. A couple of changes. Post 2012 LED's instead of halogens, smaller bathroom less intrusive into the living space.

It also has a lighter colour wood. My Sister found the interior to be quite oppressive with the dark wood so loved by German caravan and motorhome manufacturers. It didn't bother me but it did her.

I bought off Automotive leisure, the trade in and purchase of the new one was made so easy. Very good people to deal with and probably the widest stock of used Eriba's in the country.

In terms of towing: The main difference between the models is length, only the troll is wider at 2.2m. The puck is no longer made, the most of the Familia range does not have a bathroom so that leaves the triton in the narrow width's. The narrow width, low roofline and structural rigidity from being built on to a metal frame makes for impeccable towing manners. At 60mph on a motorway it rides serenely behind you totally unperturbed by wind or suction from HGV's, or worse, fast coaches. I have to keep looking in the mirror to make sure it is there.

Quite honestly, I looked at trailer tents, trailers with a tent, awnings in a trailer, and came to the conclusion that it was just as easy to tow a low roof height, narrow caravan as anything else. It is only two inches wider than the Cali, no need for towing mirrors , and if you can squeeze through a space without bashing the mirrors then the Eriba will follow. Equally it's not much higher either, a big factor when choosing over other narrow caravans such as the Tab.

I looked at go-pods, incredibly tiny, no loo and bugger all kitchen unless you want to keep popping in and out. Getting an eriba was a no-brainer compared to those.

Living accommodation is lovely once you get used to it, but anyone used to a Cali would be used to it. Let's say space is used very economically. We use it as our dining room, and it is my Sister's bedroom. We have found it so comfortable and relaxed as a dining space all thoughts of eating out have just disappeared. We have spent many happy, relaxed evenings eating and drinking wine in it. My sister finds making the bed very easy and sleeps like a log in the thing, which means its usually me taking the dogs for a walk first thing :sad Like the Cali the heating is ferocious but so is the gas consumption so best getting a small electric heater.

You may find yourself being charged for two pitches on some sites, definitely on CC sites, a nuisance but for us the extra £20 a night is an irritant but not a deal breaker.

So, in a nutshell: We have camped for 22 nights in some atrocious weather, (we have yet to have one dry day), Snow, mud, high winds, and have had so much fun that we are trading up to another one.

View attachment 32586
Great post thank you super helpful ....

And with many thanks to Granny Jen (although she won't realise her input), we have one too (as well as the trailer). View attachment 32589 Also from Automotive Leisure. It's a Familia 320. It's for my daughter, rather than my sister. It's easy to tow and extremely cosy! We've only been away for three nights so far. (Work has gone a little crazy.) But more trips are planned for both the summer and before.
Looks great together ... I might be heading the same way then ...

Back