Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tear Drop Trailers

Niborn

Niborn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I see these are popular with some California owners .

Looking at the possibility of buying a normal camping trailer as I'm frustrated with my inability to travel light and just for longer journeys I think storage space would be good . Even two big bags of Hugo's dog food presents a problem . For the Northern lights trip I've loads of camera stuff I'd like to take too. And the drone .

Then I came across a Company called West Midland Trailers , I see on there web site a number of their clients are Cali owners , they make a nice little trailer which can be adapated to any specifications required at sensible prices . The cargo trailer starts at around 3500 . My wife would like a toilet facility without walking around a campsite , I would like to take more stuff me for the long trips we could even have a spare fixed bedroom included .

Does any member own one of these and can they share their experiences I wonder ? Or and any views from anyone ?

Thanks in anticipation

Last edited:
Theres no toilet in any of them & presumably you wouldn't sleep in it so hows it going to help? Might as well just buy a camping trailer from halfords to put the dog food in.

I could understand going for something slightly larger such as an eriba if you went for one with a bathroom,

Theres no toilet in any of them & presumably you wouldn't sleep in it so hows it going to help? Might as well just buy a camping trailer from halfords to put the dog food in.

I could understand going for something slightly larger such as an eriba if you went for one with a bathroom,
Many thanks , yes I think your points are spot on and that’s where I was coming from until I saw what West Midland trailers are offering, which is anything one wants at a sensible price ; we don’t care too much about a shower but a proper fixed cassette toilet ( bigger than the portable very low capacity type as in a Go Pod ) Separate cupboard space , maybe an outside kitchen for summer cooking , plus a bigger fridge and general storage. It seems it would be like an extension to the Cali not maybe for every trip . I will look at the Eriba too , although maybe that’s more than an extension to the Cali and the price must be much more ...

I just picked up a Daxara 218 trailer for £200.
Originally bought it for tip runs whilst I do some renovations, but may well adapt it for longer camping trips. Has a load of optional kit which canbe be added to it for camping and leisure purposes.
Absolutely brilliant bit of kit.

Last edited:
I just picked up a Daxara 218 trailer for £200.
Originally bought it for tip runs whilst I do some renovations, but may well adapt it for longer camping trips. Has a load of optional kit which canbe be added to it for camping and leisure purposes.
Absolutely brilliant bit of kit.
I see these are popular with some California owners .

Looking at the possibility of buying a normal camping trailer as I'm frustrated with my inability to travel light and just for longer journeys I think storage space would be good . Even two big bags of Hugo's dog food presents a problem . For the Northern lights trip I've loads of camera stuff I'd like to take too. And the drone .

Then I came across a Company called West Midland Trailers , I see on there web site a number of their clients are Cali owners , they make a nice little trailer which can be adapated to any specifications required at sensible prices . The cargo trailer starts at around 3500 . My wife would like a toilet facility without walking around a campsite , I would like to take more stuff me for the long trips we could even have a spare fixed bedroom included .

Does any member own one of these and can they share their experiences I wonder ? Or and any views from anyone ?

Thanks in anticipation
Hi Niborn
The pod looks great fun . Especially like the bar pod . Can you bring one on the Northern Lights Trip ? On a more serious note trailers are great . I’ve now decided to put most of the gear in the trailer and have had the stop removed from the rear seat channel so the seat now slides all the way back so you can get direct access to the wardrobe .This almost doubles the living space . There is space for both tables to be used . This is only really possible because of the T32 rear springs I had fitted recently. I’m also looking at putting a KAMEI Husky XXL 520ltres roof box on the trailer lid . It’s about the same size and will almost double storage . This way you gain over 1000 litres of storage !

As posted elsewhere, this is our trailer, although clearly not our Cali. It's a Daxara 168 with marine ply extensions. We've used it extensively when tent camping etc. We generally have a fully loaded 7-seat Disco and the trailer is invaluable.

There are of course all the usual disadvantages of towing - towbar prep, speed restriction, parking difficulties etc. But if you want extra space for a lot of stuff, a trailer works well.

The gross weight limit on this unbraked trailer is 750Kg, but with only camping stuff in it, it doesn't get close to that, even with the extended sides. It's small enough to slot in behind your Cali and isn't as wide, making driving (forwards at least) no more difficult than without the trailer.

But it makes sense to only tow as much as you need, so a huge half-empty trailer doesn't make sense.

The tear drop trailers seem hugely expensive for the available space, although they do look very trendy. Getting something like Daxara would be much cheaper and just as effective.

The trailer shown below is now a uniform matt black and 12 years older. Much the same could be said for the Disco.

P1000563.JPG

Nice Silverback.
This is my 6x4 Daxara. Once my work is finished, might look at powder coating the wheels, respraying the arches and jazz up the sides with some graphics.
You can get all sorts of extensions for the trailer, with lockable lifting hood and bike racks etc etc.
I can see the usefulness on having a trailer for our longer Euro trips.

2ADF2DD1-EF9C-45BB-BC8C-334958827E61.jpeg
As posted elsewhere, this is our trailer, although clearly not our Cali. It's a Daxara 168 with marine ply extensions. We've used it extensively when tent camping etc. We generally have a fully loaded 7-seat Disco and the trailer is invaluable.

There are of course all the usual disadvantages of towing - towbar prep, speed restriction, parking difficulties etc. But if you want extra space for a lot of stuff, a trailer works well.

The gross weight limit on this unbraked trailer is 750Kg, but with only camping stuff in it, it doesn't get close to that, even with the extended sides. It's small enough to slot in behind your Cali and isn't as wide, making driving (forwards at least) no more difficult than without the trailer.

But it makes sense to only tow as much as you need, so a huge half-empty trailer doesn't make sense.

The tear drop trailers seem hugely expensive for the available space, although they do look very trendy. Getting something like Daxara would be much cheaper and just as effective.

The trailer shown below is now a uniform matt black and 12 years older. Much the same could be said for the Disco.

View attachment 32478

I pulled half a ton of sand a few days ago. It didn’t affect the California at all. Sits nicely behind.

Yes, that looks to be about the same era as mine. At the time I extended mine (about 2005), I couldn't find any factory extensions and did the extensions myself.

For £200, that's a really good buy!

For £200, that's a really good buy!

Yeah, it’s done 4 tip runs and been to the builders merchants about 6 times.
Been well worth the £200

Check this site and scroll down. Erde and Daxara are the same make. Check out some of the accessories.
http://www.indespension.co.uk/329-daxara-parts-accessories?p=2

The lockable hardtop which lifts and can also have bike racks attached looks pretty decent ;)

There is also a good video (Australian) which details the build and various extras.

Hi Niborn
have had the stop removed from the rear seat channel so the seat now slides all the way back so you can get direct access to the wardrobe .This almost doubles the living space . There is space for both tables to be used . This is only really possible because of the T32 rear springs I had fitted recently.
/QUOTE]

Why does fitting the T32 rear springs make any difference to sliding the rear seat back? Have I missed something?

Rear seat very heavy and the further it goes back the more load on rear suspension .

95FEC022-B86D-4291-BBDB-AF60F8AA3A47.jpeg 649093E2-2D1E-4BDE-B0AA-8403F404D539.jpeg
Here’s our teardrop from west midland trailers. We tow it when we have a family trip (4 adults plus grandchild) . For the journey it gives us extra space , when there it is a double bed, kitchen in the back. We also attach an awning. We don’t take it when there are just 2 of us. Would recommend them as Nick will build it exactly as you want. The downside, we had to wait 11 months as he can’t make them quick enough. although there are plenty of options to build your own if you have the skills and time, patterns available on eBay.

View attachment 32502 View attachment 32501
Here’s our teardrop from west midland trailers. We tow it when we have a family trip (4 adults plus grandchild) . For the journey it gives us extra space , when there it is a double bed, kitchen in the back. We also attach an awning. We don’t take it when there are just 2 of us. Would recommend them as Nick will build it exactly as you want. The downside, we had to wait 11 months as he can’t make them quick enough. although there are plenty of options to build your own if you have the skills and time, patterns available on eBay.
Yes I spoke with Nick yesterday, I was really warming to the idea until I heard about the wait , he to.d me order today and get it in October ...I wanted something almost now or at least for our 5 weeks Northern Lights Trip ...plus he didn’t have a way to get a bigger fridge or no portable toilet in it and suggested cool box . If we do that and it’s mostly us two and Hugo the dog, probably wouldn’t use the sleeping part , perhaps our solution is a trailer and a few pop up tents for loo and kitchen . Although I really like the teardrops ... yours looks great and the VW sign on the back must be right if one has to wait 11 months ! ..

Would you consider a standard box trailer? 120v.jpg

Yes I spoke with Nick yesterday, I was really warming to the idea until I heard about the wait , he to.d me order today and get it in October ...I wanted something almost now or at least for our 5 weeks Northern Lights Trip ...plus he didn’t have a way to get a bigger fridge or no portable toilet in it and suggested cool box . If we do that and it’s mostly us two and Hugo the dog, probably wouldn’t use the sleeping part , perhaps our solution is a trailer and a few pop up tents for loo and kitchen . Although I really like the teardrops ... yours looks great and the VW sign on the back must be right if one has to wait 11 months ! ..

Morning Niborn . I was at our local trailer shop yesterday getting wheelbarrow inner tube and saw they had just had a delivery of about 20 Anssems trailers various types ( it’s a small shop ) . They seem to do a big delivery around the country at this time of year and then stock fairly quickly diminishes until by mid summer there won’t be a lot left . Have you had a look at one yet ? They are the best . I’d say if you don’t want it to affect the drive of your van 750 kg is max . I think you can get a braked one too which would be nice but probably not necessary . You can’t take the garden rubbish to the tip in a tear drop really . I use mine for the tip nearly once a week . Happy researching .

Last edited:
Morning Niborn . I was at our local trailer shop yesterday getting wheelbarrow inner tube and saw they had just had a delivery of about 20 Anssems trailers various types ( it’s a small shop ) . They seem to do a big delivery around the country at this time of year and then stock fairly quickly diminishes until by mid summer ther won’t be a lot left . Have you had a look at one yet ? They are the best . I’d say if you don’t want it to affect the drive of your van 750 kg is max . I think you can get a braked one too which would be nice but probably not necessary . You can’t take the garden rubbish to the tip in a tear drop really . I use mine for the tip nearly once a week . Happy researching .
Hi ya Trebor, yes we’ve just been talking about it at breakfast this morning , the very same point about what else one can use the trailer for .. conclusion was the same better get one ASAP before we head off the Italy and Croatia ...( mini convoy that trip too btw another couple are joining in a T5 , down the coast of Italy and up the coast of Croatia ...) . I do fancy the 750 with bike racks and all accessories...didn’t know about braked versions ..wonder if one would notice the difference?

EB0463A4-CDF5-41E8-A81B-C4360863392F.png

This would be a really handy size . It’s very well made and great value for money . It’s one panel higher than my camping/ tip trailer and probably same or bigger capacity than tear drop . And you can still put 100 kg on roof if you needed to ! Interestingly our tip limits the size of trailers but not the height .

View attachment 32509

This would be a really handy size . It’s very well made and great value for money . It’s one panel higher than my camping/ tip trailer and probably same or bigger capacity than tear drop . And you can still put 100 kg on roof if you needed to ! Interestingly our tip limits the size of trailers but not the height .
Yes , good option too I think ... Trident are a fabulous company near us , sold me my easy rack and built it for me free !

Hi ya Trebor, yes we’ve just been talking about it at breakfast this morning , the very same point about what else one can use the trailer for .. conclusion was the same better get one ASAP before we head off the Italy and Croatia ...( mini convoy that trip too btw another couple are joining in a T5 , down the coast of Italy and up the coast of Croatia ...) . I do fancy the 750 with bike racks and all accessories...didn’t know about braked versions ..wonder if one would notice the difference?

Only when fully loaded Niborn .

Back