Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Technical problems and/or solutions concerning the Grand California.

Replying to myself.

Reason for the leaking taps has been solved. Factory has left water in the system and as the van was delivered to Finland at winter with -20 celsius outside atleast the toilet tap and outdoor shower "tap" have frozen and are now broken. Service will check if the kitchen tap is garbage also. Spareparts are taking weeks to arrive.

Problems so far:

* Automatic toilet light living its own life -> Service fixed this by removing the movement detector and replaced by normal switch.

* Two leaking taps -> Not fixed yet, several weeks for spares to arrive

* Diesel heating shuts off on its own and complains that battery is empty even though there is 80% of juice left -> Not fixed

* Electric step lives its own life, doesn't always work when side door is opened or closed. -> Not fixed, service has no idea when spareparts are available

* Parts of the Control panel stops working and only some of the features work thought the touch screen. -> Not fixed, "rebooting" the camper section from the mains switch fixes this for a while.

Not pleased at all for this purchase.

I had the exact same problem with my Aug 21 GC 600 from new. On first water fill up, water was leaking in cupboard in toilet and outdoor shower connector was leaking all over the garage. Took it back to the VW dealer had the compete outdoor shower control replaced and a new shower in the toilet. All the sink top needed removing for new tap/ shower to be fitted and then the dealership had to bring in a professional company to reseal the sink unit. Same problem the van was shipped with water in the system, it has frozen and cracked the plastic connector on the bottom of the tap/ shower in the toilet and damaged the out door shower connector too!! I have to say the tap/ shower was on back order from Germany for 2 weeks but the dealership did a great job all fine now. It is really important to fully drain down the system so frost does not freeze the taps when not in use. Make sure fresh water tank and waste tanks are empty, dump valve on the heater is opened and the two valves under the floor in the electrical cupboard have been opened. Turn all taps on to make sure water runs out of pipe remember to move it to hot and cold!! Lastly empty toilet cassette too!!

Hi
We have just purchased GC 600 - the satnav never shows our position. Our position is always off the map! Any suggestions please?
Thanks
This is a standard issue with this VW sat nav. Allegedly there's a software update at VW which fixes it. We've just resorted to using Apple Car Play instead.

Reactions: Tin
And position water fill point so that it can't be sliced off by sliding door when open. obviously being VW it is an outrageous 50 odd quid to replace....!
Oops, done that! Really daft design, given no thought.

Afternoon

We have a small VW California rental business (we also love using the vans ourselves). We have two Oceans and added a GC600 to the fleet in May (ordered last November). We are at the point of thinking of selling the van as the 1st edition niggles it has make it a bit of a pain when renting out. People generally come back having had a great time and loving the van but there are a few consistent issues which make it a bit of a pain. I must say I think it drives really well and has many impressive features but as a family, we are all clear that we prefer our Oceans.

Anyway, here are some of the faults we have experienced:

01 - Boiler faults, the worse being the fault that needs a manual reset which involves taking the rear seat apart (we have only had this once so far). But otherwise, it just seems to like to kick up faults a lot of the time after not being used for a few days or if the gas tap has been turned off and then back on. We now know how to talk these through with renters but it just seems a shame that it doesn't work faultlessly every time.

02 - Tap/pump issues. We are on our third kitchen tap now. I believe water gets into the tap and shorts the microchip and it means the water pump intermittently kicks on and on occasion wont turn on at all. Because the pump is positioned under the bed and likely where someone would have their head, this is an issue when it happens at night. We have fitted a small switch that you can easily get to from the bed while lying down so we can turn the pump off if this happens in the night. I have no doubt it is a manufacturing issue with the pump but I guess VW have not prioritised a replacement.

03 - Bathroom light with a life of its own. We have heard that closing the vent in the bathroom should help solve this because of the fact it has a movement sensor. It definitely has improved it but its not completely solved the issue - a light switch would be better, interesting to read that someone else had this replaced by the dealer.

04 - Flooring easily damaged. It just doesn't seem tough enough for a campervan which is principally an outdoor vehicle. We have a few spots of damage on it that I think have simply been someone having a bit of grit in their shoe

05 - The laminate on the toilet unit under the door on the outside of it and under the rear seat is starting to bubble - I am concerned it may be a leak, waiting to get it into the dealer to check.

06 - Surely the heater vent doesn;t need to be below the window and therefore preventing you from opening the window while the heater is running on gas???

07 - The two straps that hold the bed up have come away from the bolts. On closer inspection of how they have fastened the end of the straps to under the corner of the bed they just don't look like there was much chance of them lasting.

08 - I don't think I have had the rattling sliding door issue some have mentioned but I do think it needs far to much of a slam to close properly, hopefully later editions will have the aided close like they have on the Oceans.

09 - I don't think this is likely to change but I think the over cab bed option that we have on ours is not ideal and more limiting than the pop top on the Oceans. I think the van would be better functionally and aesthetically over all if it had a pop top like you see on the Auto Trail Adventure vans.

This sounds like the long list of a unhappy owner but it isn't, I really do like many aspects of the van and when I look at the likes of the Auto trails and other similar sized vans, none of them attract me more than the GC600 did.

I guess I am just going to have to wait for the second edition when hopefully they will have sorted a lot of these points.
Some of these points are valid, but some are arguable.

We've just changed from a pop-top which was unusable in winter as it was far too cold at night.

Flooring is pants though, I'm relaying mine with a tougher flooring.

My van is apparently now built and goes in to QC today. Sounds like it won’t be in there long if the stories above are anything to go by so it might arrive sooner than I expected

Seriously, would be good to get updates on how folks get on with the various fixes. I had quite a few quality issues with my Cali SE and VW van centres were not always that clued up on how to fix.
QC? is this a joke?
Sorry to say it but "VW is a joke". I bought mine in Luxembourg last Noember and I am 100% sure that the vehicle was not checked/controlled at the factory neither at the the dealer's garage prior delivery. I have faced and still facing a lot of issues related to charging, heating, etc. And to be honnest I have not checked yet if everything works as it suppose to. Most of the time it is parked or for repair. 2000km and only 7 overnight stays. Now is in the garage for solar panel replacement. A problem that was present since the first day. The only thing that offers is stress... and loss of time... I spend my time writing emails to VW Luxembourg, Germany, Poland. I may try also with VW India, Pakistan, Afganistan...

QC? is this a joke?
Sorry to say it but "VW is a joke". I bought mine in Luxembourg last Noember and I am 100% sure that the vehicle was not checked/controlled at the factory neither at the the dealer's garage prior delivery. I have faced and still facing a lot of issues related to charging, heating, etc. And to be honnest I have not checked yet if everything works as it suppose to. Most of the time it is parked or for repair. 2000km and only 7 overnight stays. Now is in the garage for solar panel replacement. A problem that was present since the first day. The only thing that offers is stress... and loss of time... I spend my time writing emails to VW Luxembourg, Germany, Poland. I may try also with VW India, Pakistan, Afganistan...
Hand it back.

Here is a list for VW to work on.
On board Lithium Ion batteries/Smaller fold away table/3 bed using passenger rear seats and front passenger./Ditch the MDF aircraft lockers,dumping weight and making shure they shut properly/Insulated water tanks that don't dump the contents at the sign of a chill.
A plusher more refined cabin befitting 90k not a Mk 1 Golf
MK1 Golf better car than is today Golf!. Is very valued from collector hobby people!. Inside Gc is to be fantastic if is look same than MK1 Golf especial Gti Mk1!.

Hi!

I have the exact same problem with my Thule step that you experienced, did you found out how to fix it?

Kind regards
Joakim

No. 01
GC600 - Thule step at sidedoor - a small movement of the mechanism which last less than a second.
At interval from hours to +-3<>4 minutes a small movement takes place and the step moves back and forward‘s a few millimeters. A relay ‘clicks’ under the right side of the dashboard.
It happens with the step in either position - in/out - with camping mode activated or not.
With time - 8 month now - the sound is louder.
I’m bought the GC600 in Portugal but got no help from SIVA the importer!! Next I will contact VW in Wolfsburg.
I emailed with Thule in Belgium and they stated that it long term will cause a problem with the mechanism / the teeth. They could not help me with a solution because they don’t know how the GC600 is wired.
There is several ways to send controlling power to the step.
1. Control panel.
2. Door switch.
3. Dashboard - select step stays in with door open.

Once I get answers from VW I will post them here.
Please let me know if your CG600 / ^*) has this problem.
Take a chair, sit next to the step with dfoor open, drink ‘something’, be quiet & wait.........

No. 02.
Control Panel software version.
How to se which version is installed.

There is a way - something like this - wipe from left to right at the top of the panel & then from the middle and down!!!
Different screen appears with various information!! One is the software version.
Apparently in order to update the software an USB stick is created at VW in Germany and send to the garage. Meaning the software is tailored to the options in “your” camper.

Please post if you know how to reach this hidden screen!!

No. 03.
Instruction books for the CG600 / 680.
The Portugees version has ‘4’ pages with no information of value.
The Danish version is ‘40’ pages with lots of information but not enough.

I am missing:
1. Electrical system information.
* Wiring diagram.
* Battery charging information 80% <> 100%. Charging of car battery. Which battery is charged first.
* Charging on 230VAC <> Solar panel charging.
* In short........ the in’s and out’s.
* Example: because the ’radio’ is wired to the car battery.
- Switches off every ‘15’ minutes / will I drain the battery?
- 12VDC plugs between the seats and in the dashboard comes of the Crafter battery.

No. 04.
Refrigiator corrosion.

The compressor behind the panel below ‘fridge’ was corroded after 3 month!! (Open the sliding door)
No answer ‘6’ month + from SIVA Lisboa.

No. 05.
Excessive vibration noise on “bumpy” roads from sidedoor / sidedoor area.
Well it might be normal for all I know = please feedback below.

VW has tried twice to fix it but still too much.
Fix 01: Apply new double tape! “Helped 30 km’s”
Fix 02: Add insulation behind panels.

Apprently as of week 3 in October 2019 more panel screws is being installed in the factory.
Please state ‘date of birth’ when replying.

No. 06.
Water system. Pump stops intermittenly after 10 <> 30 seconds of use.
Shower or kitchen, never had the problem with the outside shower. (or toilet - short useage.....)

1. Handle down and straight up and pump starts again......... sometimes.......
2. Open the other and sometimes pump starts.
=
there is no system - clear faults.

I talked to a GC600 owner & VW had replaced both watertaps.

Again wiring diagram would be handy! Especially when the warranty is gone!!

No. 06.
Warranty.
It is possible to buy extended warranty which covers the whole GC.

I Portugal I bought extended warranty. The earlier you buy the cheaper.
Within a week of delivery +-2300€ for 3 xtra years on the whole CG600 up to 200.000 km’s.

No. 07.
Straps holding the AFT bed upright.
The ‘locking loop’ is not tight enough.

The straps will slide to maximum length during driving.

Solution:
Straps which can’t be adjusted in the length.
Straps with a prober locking mechanism........

No. 08.
Cabinets over the bed.
Opens at ‘own will’ during driving.

Solutions concerning the hinges:
1. Adjustment. No information in instruction book!
2. Attach hinges proberly to cabinet...... yes!!
- I found that the hinges wasn’t installed proberly because the screws was only a few millimeters into the cabinet. Due to the hinge construction you feel resistance and ‘assumes’ that it’s tight but this is just resistance from the plastic and once pushed/turned more the screw goes in A LOT FURTHER....... During trouble shooting suddenly the door came completely off......

No. 09.
Cabinets in general.

The plastic ‘and/or rubber dots’ and spacers falls off.
Noticed first time before delivery when visiting the GC at SIVA the importing company’s holding area.

1. The double adhesive tape is no good.
2. The rubber pins is not clued in place = falls out!!

So more vibration noise during driving.

No. 10.
Switch in dashboard - Engine / battery.
What is the exact functionality??
No information in Crafter or California instruction book.......

Qualified quess is:
With engine running the camper battery is being charged.
1. With swicth on - Crafter start/stop system is not working.

Questions:
1. Will fuction stop when battry is charged? Charged to 80% or a 100%??
I write 80% because there is something about the battery life cycle is ‘one’ shorter every time battery is charged above 80%

No. 11.
Electrical problems.
Some fuctionality is not working from the control panel.

Turn the camper power off and on again at the main switch in the AFT left cabinet under the bed.

1. Camper mode is not working.
2. Panel doesn’t react to finger input.
3. Control of heating and/or water tremperature.
4. Control of step not possible.
5. Battery % status is erratic.

No. 01
GC600 - Thule step at sidedoor - a small movement of the mechanism which last less than a second.
At interval from hours to +-3<>4 minutes a small movement takes place and the step moves back and forward‘s a few millimeters. A relay ‘clicks’ under the right side of the dashboard.
It happens with the step in either position - in/out - with camping mode activated or not.
With time - 8 month now - the sound is louder.
I’m bought the GC600 in Portugal but got no help from SIVA the importer!! Next I will contact VW in Wolfsburg.
I emailed with Thule in Belgium and they stated that it long term will cause a problem with the mechanism / the teeth. They could not help me with a solution because they don’t know how the GC600 is wired.
There is several ways to send controlling power to the step.
1. Control panel.
2. Door switch.
3. Dashboard - select step stays in with door open.

Once I get answers from VW I will post them here.
Please let me know if your CG600 / ^*) has this problem.
Take a chair, sit next to the step with dfoor open, drink ‘something’, be quiet & wait.........

No. 02.
Control Panel software version.
How to se which version is installed.

There is a way - something like this - wipe from left to right at the top of the panel & then from the middle and down!!!
Different screen appears with various information!! One is the software version.
Apparently in order to update the software an USB stick is created at VW in Germany and send to the garage. Meaning the software is tailored to the options in “your” camper.

Please post if you know how to reach this hidden screen!!

No. 03.
Instruction books for the CG600 / 680.
The Portugees version has ‘4’ pages with no information of value.
The Danish version is ‘40’ pages with lots of information but not enough.

I am missing:
1. Electrical system information.
* Wiring diagram.
* Battery charging information 80% <> 100%. Charging of car battery. Which battery is charged first.
* Charging on 230VAC <> Solar panel charging.
* In short........ the in’s and out’s.
* Example: because the ’radio’ is wired to the car battery.
- Switches off every ‘15’ minutes / will I drain the battery?
- 12VDC plugs between the seats and in the dashboard comes of the Crafter battery.

No. 04.
Refrigiator corrosion.

The compressor behind the panel below ‘fridge’ was corroded after 3 month!! (Open the sliding door)
No answer ‘6’ month + from SIVA Lisboa.

No. 05.
Excessive vibration noise on “bumpy” roads from sidedoor / sidedoor area.
Well it might be normal for all I know = please feedback below.

VW has tried twice to fix it but still too much.
Fix 01: Apply new double tape! “Helped 30 km’s”
Fix 02: Add insulation behind panels.

Apprently as of week 3 in October 2019 more panel screws is being installed in the factory.
Please state ‘date of birth’ when replying.

No. 06.
Water system. Pump stops intermittenly after 10 <> 30 seconds of use.
Shower or kitchen, never had the problem with the outside shower. (or toilet - short useage.....)

1. Handle down and straight up and pump starts again......... sometimes.......
2. Open the other and sometimes pump starts.
=
there is no system - clear faults.

I talked to a GC600 owner & VW had replaced both watertaps.

Again wiring diagram would be handy! Especially when the warranty is gone!!

No. 06.
Warranty.
It is possible to buy extended warranty which covers the whole GC.

I Portugal I bought extended warranty. The earlier you buy the cheaper.
Within a week of delivery +-2300€ for 3 xtra years on the whole CG600 up to 200.000 km’s.

No. 07.
Straps holding the AFT bed upright.
The ‘locking loop’ is not tight enough.

The straps will slide to maximum length during driving.

Solution:
Straps which can’t be adjusted in the length.
Straps with a prober locking mechanism........

No. 08.
Cabinets over the bed.
Opens at ‘own will’ during driving.

Solutions concerning the hinges:
1. Adjustment. No information in instruction book!
2. Attach hinges proberly to cabinet...... yes!!
- I found that the hinges wasn’t installed proberly because the screws was only a few millimeters into the cabinet. Due to the hinge construction you feel resistance and ‘assumes’ that it’s tight but this is just resistance from the plastic and once pushed/turned more the screw goes in A LOT FURTHER....... During trouble shooting suddenly the door came completely off......

No. 09.
Cabinets in general.

The plastic ‘and/or rubber dots’ and spacers falls off.
Noticed first time before delivery when visiting the GC at SIVA the importing company’s holding area.

1. The double adhesive tape is no good.
2. The rubber pins is not clued in place = falls out!!

So more vibration noise during driving.

No. 10.
Switch in dashboard - Engine / battery.
What is the exact functionality??
No information in Crafter or California instruction book.......

Qualified quess is:
With engine running the camper battery is being charged.
1. With swicth on - Crafter start/stop system is not working.

Questions:
1. Will fuction stop when battry is charged? Charged to 80% or a 100%??
I write 80% because there is something about the battery life cycle is ‘one’ shorter every time battery is charged above 80%

No. 11.
Electrical problems.
Some fuctionality is not working from the control panel.

Turn the camper power off and on again at the main switch in the AFT left cabinet under the bed.

1. Camper mode is not working.
2. Panel doesn’t react to finger input.
3. Control of heating and/or water tremperature.
4. Control of step not possible.
5. Battery % status is erratic.
Did you get things sorted out regarding the sidestep movement?

Back