Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Temperature Gauge

M

MrsW

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
After a walk along the Cornish coast this morning we got back to the van and after a while turned the engine on to warm up before setting off. However, the temp gauge didn’t move and no warm air came through the heater. After c10 mins we set off to see if it changed and very slowly it did. We eventually got up to mid point and it stayed there.

In the car we usually start to warm up within a few minutes so expected the same.

Appreciate your thoughts but please keep them simple as not mechanically minded

It might be that you’ve usually started the engine before when it is below 5c and the extra engine heater has kicked in to help warm it up quickly. Above 5c it doesn’t kick in and it can take a while to warm up.

It’s been about 5.5 or 6c in Cornwall today (we’re here too!) and our new 204 took a while to warm up too.

It’s v quick if under 5c

Is that it?

After a walk along the Cornish coast this morning we got back to the van and after a while turned the engine on to warm up before setting off. However, the temp gauge didn’t move and no warm air came through the heater. After c10 mins we set off to see if it changed and very slowly it did. We eventually got up to mid point and it stayed there.

In the car we usually start to warm up within a few minutes so expected the same.

Appreciate your thoughts but please keep them simple as not mechanically minded
As @itguy has said. Above 5c and idling Diesel Engine is cooled quicker than it warms and unless the engine is being used could take hours to warm up. Below 5c then the Webasto Coolant Heater kicks in and quickly warms the engine up.

Impossible to diagnose reliably over the internet but you might want to have someone check that the engine coolant thermostat isn't stuck open.

As you asked for a simple explanation: well, engines have a thermostat to stop the coolant from passing through the radiator (cooler system) until it's reached the proper operating temperature. A stuck-open thermostat is not uncommon and not a big/expensive job to fix if that's the issue.

If it is that, there's no panic to get it looked at, it won't do serious harm to the van but suggest you ask your servicing workshop to have a quick look to at least rule it out as an issue.

When the engine is idling from cold it does not get hot quickly. It is not recommended to idle a vehicle engine from cold for a long time as the wear will be increased. Start driving as soon as you can then the engine will warm up much quicker under load.

As itguy has said when the temperature is 5º or below then the coolant heater will start, warming the engine much quicker.

You have an Ocean and could have used the parking heater to get the van warm. That would happen much quicker and use less fuel too.

Alan

Why would you want the engine to run to heat up the interieur having a Ocean witch has a aux-heater?
And the fact that starting a cold engine and letting it run stationairy is no good for the envirement or the engine itself , after starting a cold engine you suppose to let it do some low revs. meaning drive of , it would take long for a cold engine in cold weather and statonairy running to come up a certain themp. to heat up the cabin anyway

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Many thanks to all for your comments, good to hear it’s not something I should be concerned about but will keep an eye on. I can now go back to enjoying the Cornish sun

that's normal to me. I too am baffled as to why you don't fire up the mighty eberspacher to heat the cabin?

Whilst it is good to read it uses less fuel to use the aux heater it was only for a short period of time hence why I chose this option.