Ten things I hate about my Cali

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
The Cali is a great vehicle but I'm sure everyone has their pet hates. Here's mine.
  1. The (SE) table rattles if not located properly, and Mrs can't locate it properly
  2. Fuel filler flap is easily caught and can get damaged on handbag when Mrs gets out
  3. Water drips on the window switches if a front window is opened in the rain
  4. Things disappear down the gap between the dash and windscreen
  5. Getting out in the cold to turn the gas on/off
  6. ..... I'll have to come back when I think of the rest! 5 things are enough to start!
I realise that No 1 & 2 could be fixed by dumping the Mrs, but I need her to go out to turn the gas on/off :D

I realise that No 1 & 2 could be fixed by dumping the Mrs, but I need her to go out to turn the gas on/off :D

You beat me to it, was going to suggest that.
pmsl

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Re 5 Getting out in the cold to turn the gas on/off

You could always fit a solenoid valve. Very common on boats.

Re 5 Getting out in the cold to turn the gas on/off

You could always fit a solenoid valve. Very common on boats.

Difficult to get a wire to a solenoid near to the gas bottle because it lives in the water tank.

The thing that I hate about our Cali is watching the neat and spacious interior shrink before my eyes when Mrs B starts to load her many bags of assorted "essentials". You know the sort of thing, knitting, sewing, the odd zig saw, spare clothing just in case the earth freezes over etc. They often seem to get stuck round the handbrake and on occasions have made a serious bid to take over the drivers foot well as well.

Then try as I do, we seem to be unable to pass any branch of Sainsbury's without filling any remaining floor space with unstable orange plastic bags full of rations, most of which end up rolling around whilst we take them for a nice break before taking them back home again.

If we ever sink to owning one of those great white whales, the scope for filling that with bags is truely frightening.:punch

Last edited:
The thing that I hate about our Cali is watching the neat and spacious interior shrink before my eyes when Mrs B starts to load her many bags of assorted "essentials". You know the sort of thing, knitting, sewing, the odd zig saw, spare clothing just in case the earth freezes over etc. They often seem to get stuck round the handbrake and on occasions have made a serious bid to take over the drivers foot well as well.

Then try as I do, we seem to be unable to pass any branch of Sainsbury's without filling any remaining floor space with unstable orange plastic bags full of rations, most of which end rolling around whilst we take them for a nice break before taking them home again.

If we ever sink to owning one of those great white whales, the scope for filling that with bags is truely frightening.

So agree with you

The Cali is a great vehicle but I'm sure everyone has their pet hates. Here's mine.
  1. The (SE) table rattles if not located properly, and Mrs can't locate it properly
  2. Fuel filler flap is easily caught and can get damaged on handbag when Mrs gets out
  3. Water drips on the window switches if a front window is opened in the rain
  4. Things disappear down the gap between the dash and windscreen
  5. Getting out in the cold to turn the gas on/off
  6. ..... I'll have to come back when I think of the rest! 5 things are enough to start!
  1. Fuel filler flap is easily caught and can get damaged on handbag when Mrs gets out
Have you actual physical and video evidence to support this statement , I only ask as our flap seems to open "its self" when my other half gets out and I've never been able to prove otherwise .

1. Fuel filler flap is easily caught and can get damaged on handbag when Mrs gets out
Have you actual physical and video evidence to support this statement , I only ask as our flap seems to open "its self" when my other half gets out and I've never been able to prove otherwise .
Sorry, no video evidence but I caught her in the act of doing it last week. Problem is the flap got strained and doesn't shut properly now. Grounds for divorce! ;)

1. Haven't got it yet!
2. No longer able to change factory specification. (Although may not be a bad thing, it'll only put the price up).
3. Still no confirmed build week.
4. Keep spending on California essentials. I know I shouldn't but I can't help myself.
5. Might have to sell my motorcycle to subsidise the Cali.

1. Ticking camper heater
2. Roller blind covering the upstairs keeps opening - a plastic card does the trick but it let's the aesthetic down
3. Rubbish sound system that I haven't managed to remedy yet despite spending a fair bit.
4. ... can't think of anything else!

Overall we still love it.

Just One thing which really bugs me: The way it just sits there looking so perfect with its fabulously sexy lines and says: "Look at me arn't I gorgeous" Then I look in the mirror see my ugly old chops looking back at me and realise it is right..... Then I hate it! I want to either come back as David Gandy or a T10. just to get my own back on it.

I'm sure the heater is a technical tour de force, but why does it have to be so noisy (for both occupants and nearby campers alike)?

Also, I know a lot of people on this forum rave about the brilliance of the heater, but we find it a little unpredictable. Either to hot, or goes off for long periods of time before suddenly bursting into life again.

Don't get me wrong - we wouldn't be without it, just needs a little refinement in my view.

Sorry, no video evidence but I caught her in the act of doing it last week. Problem is the flap got strained and doesn't shut properly now. Grounds for divorce! ;)
My Grandad was always having this problem with my Gran....... His flap was always getting strained so he found a new woman who did not strain his flap so much.

The one thing i dislike is the fact it sits in my garage to much....
I don't think i find things "to hate...." on my Cali , if one has 10 things to hate on his Cali he should not own one....and maybe go for a big white?
My Cali got some issues , yes ....:D

New Beach ordered 26th March 2016, week 12, just been given by, VWCS, a new unconfirmed build date of week 15 2017.
So that's a year and 2 weeks and still no guarantee when it will arrive.

To say we are both bitterly disappointed is an understatement.

We both hate VW.

The one thing i dislike is the fact it sits in my garage to much....
I don't think i find things "to hate...." on my Cali , if one has 10 things to hate on his Cali he should not own one....and maybe go for a big white?
My Cali got some issues , yes ....:D
I'm still trying to think of another 5 things .....;)

New Beach ordered 26th March 2016, week 12, just been given by, VWCS, a new unconfirmed build date of week 15 2017.
So that's a year and 2 weeks and still no guarantee when it will arrive.

To say we are both bitterly disappointed is an understatement.

We both hate VW.
That sucks. Have you asked VW why this is happening?

Then try as I do, we seem to be unable to pass any branch of Sainsbury's without filling any remaining floor space with unstable orange plastic bags full of rations, most of which end up rolling around whilst we take them for a nice break before taking them home again.

If we ever sink to owning one of those great white whales, the scope for filling that with bags is truely frightening.:punch
I was amazed at the amount of bags and cooking utensils, candelabra (yes, seriously folks) that you guys had at Lower Lode...
BUT,
BUT,
BUT,
That was one of the best evenings I've had away in my Cali, so PLEASE don't change a thing. I'm counting the days to be able to catch up with you both and SimonB & Helen again next year.

1. The handbrake - should be electric
2. The fact that you have to adjust the rear view mirror to clip the windscreen blinds
3. Gas valve access via the rear
4. Roof canvas fear of catching in the closing mechanism
5. Water dripping when opening doors
6. Rear seats not as comfortable as front seats
7. Spare wheel access and security
8. Radio not using power from leisure batteries with ignition off
9. Ventilation when sleeping with roof closed
10. More responsive, useful and exciting than the wife!!

I was amazed at the amount of bags and cooking utensils, candelabra (yes, seriously folks) that you guys had at Lower Lode...
BUT,
BUT,
BUT,
That was one of the best evenings I've had away in my Cali, so PLEASE don't change a thing. I'm counting the days to be able to catch up with you both and SimonB & Helen again next year.

Well one has to keep up standards doesn't one!
Seriously, nothing is likely to change as we are both very much set in our ways, (leopards not being able to change their spots and all that). Whilst I can sometimes get a bit tetchy about the bags I don't really mind that much as long as Mrs B is happy.
We are both looking forward to seing you again soon. Nick at Comfortz Leisure has just sent me a joining kit that enables two Cali awnings to be joined together with no gaps. So their should be enough room for the gramophone, aspidistra and tiger skin rug.

P.s Actually the candelabra started out as a bit of a joke but it actually provides a lovely soft light in an otherwise dark and gloomy awning room. It also warms up the awning a little and provides a great ambience for guzzling wine and scoffing tasty delights with friends.

if you hate it as much as you say then sell it.

Out of interest, why does the gas need to be turned off? I only turn it off when the Hi Viz at Eurotunnel tells me to.

Back