Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Test your RCD...

calicasas

calicasas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just a small reminder to those that don't know, but we should all be testing the Residual Current Devices (RCD's) reasonably regularly via the integral test button marked 'T' on the device itself.
This device is located in the rear cupboard and you must ensure that you are connected via the 230v mains cable or the test doesn't work.
This will ensure the device works (mechanically) and will help to extend the life of this important protective device...

Just a small reminder to those that don't know, but we should all be testing the Residual Current Devices (RCD's) reasonably regularly via the integral test button marked 'T' on the device itself.
This device is located in the rear cupboard and you must ensure that you are connected via the 230v mains cable or the test doesn't work.
This will ensure the device works (mechanically) and will help to extend the life of this important protective device...

Quarterly is the recommended test frequency (BS7671) for the equivalent domestic device.

Quarterly is the recommended test frequency (BS7671) for the equivalent domestic device.

There is no specific regulation in BS7671 which requires the quarterly test. Quarterly is actually recommended by the manufacturer and reference to manufacturers instructions are mentioned in regulation 134.1.1
The regulations mention amongst other things RCD's for additional protection which is a 30mA RCD. The Cali actually has a 10mA RCD so any regulation relating to additional protection does not apply.
The closest reference to any testing is in regulation 612.10 which mentions testing using test equipment to BS EN 61557-6.....
Sorry, wasn't meaning to sound like an anorak....

Are we playing "spot the spark"?

The test button does not test the full functionality of the RCD. By the way it is not an RCD, it is an RCBO. An RCD only protects you from leakage to earth, an RCBO also protects from overcurrent. I believe the RCBO fitted is rated at 30mA (earth leakage) and 10A (overload). It is still worth periodically testing with the button but if you want to be sure the earth leakage function is operating correctly you will need an RCD tester

Well if we want to be pedantic then you should test the RCD correctly as opposed to simply checking the mechanical operation.

1/2 x rated current. No trip.
1x rated current. Trip within 400m/s (I think ?)
Most importantly 5 x rated current trip within 200m/s (assuming TT earthing which it should be for a caravan park hook up).

Obv you need special kit to do this.

BS7671 calls for a quarterly test label to be fitted upon install.

The test button does not test the full functionality of the RCD. By the way it is not an RCD, it is an RCBO. An RCD only protects you from leakage to earth, an RCBO also protects from overcurrent. I believe the RCBO fitted is rated at 30mA (earth leakage) and 10A (overload). It is still worth periodically testing with the button but if you want to be sure the earth leakage function is operating correctly you will need an RCD tester
You are correct this is an RCBO (BS 61009). Was only mentioning the RCD element of the protective device as this is the one to be tested.
You are correct in that theTest button only tests for mechanical function but really important as this will definitely extend the life of the device.
My device is definitely a 10mA (B13) device as fitted on our 2011 and Cali - would be interested to know if anyone has any other type of device fitted e.g. 30mA?

Well if we want to be pedantic then you should test the RCD correctly as opposed to simply checking the mechanical operation.

1/2 x rated current. No trip.
1x rated current. Trip within 400m/s (I think ?)
Most importantly 5 x rated current trip within 200m/s (assuming TT earthing which it should be for a caravan park hook up).

Obv you need special kit to do this.

BS7671 calls for a quarterly test label to be fitted upon install.
Correct a proper electrical test using a tester, but the original thread wasn't about that...
Incidentally, 300mS at x1 test and 40mS at x5 test as per Appendix 3 of BS 7671 for general non-delay RCD's.... This is for BS61008 & 61009 devices. Other device types are 200mS at x1 as per IET guidance notes...

You are correct this is an RCBO (BS 61009). Was only mentioning the RCD element of the protective device as this is the one to be tested.
You are correct in that theTest button only tests for mechanical function but really important as this will definitely extend the life of the device.
My device is definitely a 10mA (B13) device as fitted on our 2011 and Cali - would be interested to know if anyone has any other type of device fitted e.g. 30mA?
You are correct mine is also a 10mA (B13), I have no idea how I dreamt up 30mA. :headbang

Do all these people test the RCD, MCB. etc, etc. In their homes?????

John

Euh ....you do got a point ....never did!
Anyway just did test it in the Cali two weeks ago :thumb
Important things first:D

Correct a proper electrical test using a tester, but the original thread wasn't about that...
Incidentally, 300mS at x1 test and 40mS at x5 test as per Appendix 3 of BS 7671 for general non-delay RCD's.... This is for BS61008 & 61009 devices. Other device types are 200mS at x1 as per IET guidance notes...
20m/s @x5. A campsite hookup point should be TT. 40m/s is for TNS and TNC-S

I think it the correct advice is to test the RCD every time you hook up, especially to an unknown supply. That way you check the continuity of earth connection from the EHU socket. It won't test the earth connection resistance but will prove that there is a good enough connection to protect the user from serious shock by tripping the RCD in the event of a fault.

Rod

I think it the correct advice is to test the RCD every time you hook up, especially to an unknown supply. That way you check the continuity of earth connection from the EHU socket. It won't test the earth connection resistance but will prove that there is a good enough connection to protect the user from serious shock by tripping the RCD in the event of a fault.

Rod
The reason for an RCD is to accomodate excessively high earth loop resistance. A cct breaker won't trip in the required time with high R1R2 hence a RCD to achieve trip times. :cool:

As stated previously ( it's probably boring but important), the RCD in the Cali has an identical rating to that of the hookup point (30mA). In other words you have two similar devices in series. It's impossible to discriminate so often one will trip and not the other. Sometimes both.
So if you find yourself without juice and your RCD looks healthy always check the one in the hookup point.

:thumb

I was hoping to go away this weekend, but I simply can't afford all of the time to do the checks - tyres, oil, water purification, electrical trip tests - have I missed anything :).

I was hoping to go away this weekend, but I simply can't afford all of the time to do the checks - tyres, oil, water purification, electrical trip tests - have I missed anything :).

Brake fluid, screen wash, power steering fluid have you checked your spare wheel is still there?
Have a nice weekend :confused:

I dunno where have the good old day gone - used to be just a quick check to make sure the beer and wine was packed.

I dunno where have the good old day gone - used to be just a quick check to make sure the beer and wine was packed.

You'd pitch up at a rosey cheeked farmers field who would come round in the morning and charge you half a crown for the night.
Good old days eh!

For camping ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The reason for an RCD is to accomodate excessively high earth loop resistance. A cct breaker won't trip in the required time with high R1R2 hence a RCD to achieve trip times. :cool:

As stated previously ( it's probably boring but important), the RCD in the Cali has an identical rating to that of the hookup point (30mA). In other words you have two similar devices in series. It's impossible to discriminate so often one will trip and not the other. Sometimes both.
So if you find yourself without juice and your RCD looks healthy always check the one in the hookup point.

:thumb
Cali rcbo is 10ma.

Back