Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The best addition to your California?

I love the principle of less is more. Haven’t quite managed the practicality of it though with 2 5 year olds. But we’re only 1 year in and as many people have said, it’s a process of ongoing refinement.
What we find essential is a quick storage tent to put car seats in and anything else in the way of setting up the beds. We have a couple but the quickest is a queedo (quick palm I think) which is literally up in 10s. Not very waterproof but haven’t been washed out yet. We have a bigger one which could also hold a toilet or outside kitchen stuff if we don’t take an awning.
Internal pop-top liner is also great, but expensive. Brandrup Isotop.
Finally for me, as I can’t function without decent coffee in the morning, an aeropress. Great coffee maker, easy to clean and quick to use.
What a cutie.

It’s our first night too! We bought the cubes to pack clothes- brilliant!
We don’t have an awning but will be buying one, very worried about the weather turning and all trashing the van (will be really handy to keep car seats and wellies In etc) Not ready to fork out £500 plus!! Anybody got recommendations? Would like air, drive away and small footprint and packed size- thanks
Anyway enjoy!
Think about whether you want an integrated ground sheet or a detachable one too.

A throw or blanket for the back seat; a whistling kettle; a gallon to carry water in (from the tap to the van); fitted jersey sheet that you can leave on the upstairs bed (from Muji, a single is big enough); a large Ikea bathmat for the floor (gathers the dirt, easily shake-out-able, washable).
Later, Dubflectas for the cab windows (so that you can get ventilation if it's raining without water coming in); porta-potti; collapsible bucket; insulated blinds for cab windows; bike rack (if you cycle); awning (if it hasn't already got one - we 'managed' with a drive-away canopy for a few years, but the bloody thing kept blowing out of the connection, so we eventually had a Thule wind-out awning fitted); some kind of topper (we made a pucer-style one first, then bought a Calicap mutze - great if it's windy or very wet or winter).
But don't go mad - everyone uses their vans differently - start with the minimum and see what you need gradually.

Although we love the sound of a whistling kettle boiling on gas we find it very useful to also take a small electric kettle. We use the gas when out and about and the electric kettle when hooked up - not to save money, but to enable the glass hob cover to be down giving some much appreciated worktop space. This only applies to the models with a split worktop. Taking 2 kettles does sound a bit crazy, but we find it worth it on balance.
We have both too, but we usually only have a hook-up if it's included (eg on a Caravan Club site, or ACSI, and if we've got one, we might as well save the gas.

Also, like Elly Swanson, we have a couple of thermos flasks with boiling water in (from home, or if there's any spare after boiling up). A small tray is also very handy (stored in the pocket on the back of the seat).

Less is more.
Aside from crockery, cutlery and kettle and pots, everything else is a luxury rather than a necessity.
If its a weekend you should be able to roll up. Roof up and kettle on. If you can't do that then you've got too much stuff.
I'll agree with you this time about the too much stuff. The more cluttered the van is, the less enjoyable the holiday. And if you are touring and moving on regularly, it's a bloody nuisance having to keep hoofing all the stuff out into a little tent overnight (and can't be done if you're staying on an aire, for example). Having been used to tent camping before we got the van, I sometimes find myself thinking, oh, we can just stuff it in the car - but no, this is the car.

So - we bought our first California (2019 199 Ocean) last week, and like many of you i'm sure, we're like deers in the headlights when it comes to adding accessories. We've got a single night booked next weekend (4th July, so no doubt a feeding frenzy of folks when we arrive, given COVID-19 lockdown restrictions being eased), for the sole purpose of figuring out what we're missing. Better to find out after a single night and 50 miles from home, rather than on the continent for a week or two!

We've got our own personal list, but it's all based on hypothesis and assumption. So for those who are inducted into Hallf of Fame, what would you choose?

Bikerack?
Seat Covers?
Carpet?
Packing Cubes?
Matress Toppers?
Copious amounts of wine in the fridge?
Numerous other ideas that escape me!

If you were to 'do it all again', what would be that number one accessory you wish you had (and perhaps did?!) have from the very start?
Solar panel
So - we bought our first California (2019 199 Ocean) last week, and like many of you i'm sure, we're like deers in the headlights when it comes to adding accessories. We've got a single night booked next weekend (4th July, so no doubt a feeding frenzy of folks when we arrive, given COVID-19 lockdown restrictions being eased), for the sole purpose of figuring out what we're missing. Better to find out after a single night and 50 miles from home, rather than on the continent for a week or two!

We've got our own personal list, but it's all based on hypothesis and assumption. So for those who are inducted into Hallf of Fame, what would you choose?

Bikerack?
Seat Covers?
Carpet?
Packing Cubes?
Matress Toppers?

If you were to 'do it all again', what would be that number one accessory you wish you had (and perhaps did?!) have from the very start?
solar panel from roger at solar camper solutions... fridge always running / using leisure battery and recharging (good for battery) without need for long run or hookup we always have 80 per cent full battery. Roger knows his stuff about solar and things have moved in since we got ours

Solar panel

solar panel from roger at solar camper solutions... fridge always running / using leisure battery and recharging (good for battery) without need for long run or hookup we always have 80 per cent full battery. Roger knows his stuff about solar and things have moved in since we got ours

just fitted my panel... now debating If I’m brave enough to leave the EHU cable behind when I go to France next month

just fitted my panel... now debating If I’m brave enough to leave the EHU cable behind when I go to France next month

We managed three weeks in France last year without any hookup. Fridge, lights, phones, cameras, iPad etc. Semi-shade although admittedly very sunny. Limited driving. No problems at all.

If in doubt, switch on your fridge at max for the next week, plug in a phone and leave the lights on (on your driveway??) and monitor the situation. If it doesn’t work, consider taking a lead.

But don’t forget to monitor what’s happening....don’t ruin your battery just before your holiday!

The list is good but I would minimise the “packing cubes”, especially rigid ones. Containers that are light, robust and collapsible are the best, unless the intended contents need to be protected from crushing.

I would add blankets, because they are flexible in use and can be thrown over seats to protect them, an extra layer for when it turns cold and for sitting out.

I know this will sound stupid but various sizes of plastic bags (reused only). Very helpful for compartmentalising all kinds of stuff.

It is easy to buy too many gimmicks when you visit a showroom.Our strategy is to look at they are offering and go for a drink to think about buying. (We have bought things that seemed a good idea at the time which after a few weeks we realise that we were just therapy shopping)
Paul

Bikerack?
Seat Covers?
Carpet?
Packing Cubes?
Matress Toppers?

The list is good but I would minimise the “packing cubes”, especially rigid ones. Containers that are light, robust and collapsible are the best, unless the intended contents need to be protected from crushing.

I would add blankets, because they are flexible in use and can be thrown over seats to protect them, an extra layer for when it turns cold and for sitting out.

I know this will sound stupid but various sizes of plastic bags (reused only). Very helpful for compartmentalising all kinds of stuff.

It is easy to buy too many gimmicks when you visit a showroom.Our strategy is to look at they are offering and go for a drink to think about buying. (We have bought things that seemed a good idea at the time which after a few weeks we realise that we were just therapy shopping)
Paul
Therapy shopping is the worst. It makes so much sense at the time. All those happy, feel good hormones, negating logical thought and depleting the bank balance, filling garages and under stairs cupboards, etc. When you buy a Cali it should come with a warning. But then, we'd still do it.

Therapy shopping is the worst. It makes so much sense at the time. All those happy, feel good hormones, negating logical thought and depleting the bank balance, filling garages and under stairs cupboards, etc. When you buy a Cali it should come with a warning. But then, we'd still do it.

That's why I'm banned from any Lidl centre isle.

That's why I'm banned from any Lidl centre isle.
Ah, so you're the stealth ninja I keep bumping in to. You banned from Aldi too?

My hubby would love to ban me from Ikea. We have one fairly local and even if we I only need a few bits and have a list, I have to go round and look to see if there's anything new that I can hack for the van, or anything I've not thought of before. Poor fella, I found our first Ikea in Berlin in 1979 and have been fascinated with the store and concepts ever since.

Just had the opportunity to try out our new Sea to Summit self inflating mattress during a week in Northumberland - really amazing !
Best night's sleep I've had in ages - except I kept waking in a cold sweat when I remembered how much it cost.

Bikerack?
Seat Covers?
Carpet?
Packing Cubes?
Matress Toppers?

Seat covers
carpets
mattress topper
wine
wine
wine
wine
bugger the bike rack.

Bikerack?
Seat Covers?
Carpet?
Packing Cubes?
Matress Toppers?

Obviously all the water connections (and water purifying tablets)
Likewise the electrical hook up with the possibility to connect to 13 amp UK plugs and continental two-pin plugs.

Certainly so far we have added storage boxes from IKEA for the rear (make sure they have nice slippery bottoms to aid sliding in and out of the boot)
The Sea to Summit self inflating mattress is a joy but probably not an essential.
(https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/products/sleeping-mats/comfort-delux-si/ - but seem to be out of stock of the 116 cm wide campervan version right now)
Packing cubes from Amazon like these:
(https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078N9SJW6/?tag=eliteelect-21) are brilliant.
We have two sets his&hers.
They make life organisation much easier.
They just stuff in anywhere and keep it neat.
One thing I have noticed that I think VW has neglected is rear area USB ports: somewhere to charge your electronics whilst away. The Inverter Euro plug is a good place to start - normally available from the Club shop (https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/inverter-adapter-to-uk-3-pin-usb) but apparently out of stock at the moment but sure to be available elsewhere (CamperVantastic ??). This gives you a 13 amp out let and the so needed 2 USB ports.
On the same issue we have a 12V to USB plug for the roof bed area similar to this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Q2GFP4M/?tag=eliteelect-21)
Gives plenty of wattage so will charge phones and iPads quickly.

Silly thing but I have found a pair of shoes you can slip on and off easily when getting into/out of the van when the weather is wet is an essential if you want to keep the floors clean.
If I think of anything else that I wouldn't leave home without I'll drop a line.
Yes, of course wine but you knew that !

Oh yes thought of something else which is really handy on a trip - my electric folding scooter.
The xiaomi m365 pro is about £550 and so easy to use and folds up so you can just bung it in somewhere.
Speeds you to the shops and has a range of about 30 miles

Just had the opportunity to try out our new Sea to Summit self inflating mattress during a week in Northumberland - really amazing !
Best night's sleep I've had in ages - except I kept waking in a cold sweat when I remembered how much it cost.
We have one on order and are waiting with bated breath desp hoping it will be as good as the reviews we keep reading. Hoping to leave the downstairs topper which came with the Cali at home and just use the SIM as I imagine it is still quite a size when deflated and rolled.

We have one on order and are waiting with bated breath desp hoping it will be as good as the reviews we keep reading. Hoping to leave the downstairs topper which came with the Cali at home and just use the SIM as I imagine it is still quite a size when deflated and rolled.
It rolls very flat if you get the air out but that does involve a fair bit of rolling and squeezing. I have repurposed an old electric pump to act as a "sucker" and that works really well on my first dry runs

Made up this little step to help getting in and out the side door, packs away in tailgate with chairs. Very welcome addition following back injury. Needs a bit of refining but good enough for now.

20200913_145511.jpg

Back