Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The California Workhorse!!!

you can go to work in it. camp in it. go to the tip in it. transport paving slabs in it. and shag in it. up to now I've only done 2 of those. edit. 4 of those. ha
Hopefully not the later whilst at the skip? :talktothehand:Grin

Could you stick in some kind or removable pod/pods to use for your work gear to protect the inside??

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks Mark, if you need to use your Beach for work, then do it. We may all worship our Cali's but the simple fact is that they are merely a tool. A multi purpose tool that you can use in many different ways. I'm retired so don't use it as a works van but that's not to say that I wouldn't if I wasn't. For me it would depend upon what work involved. If work was something like building or plastering etc and required driving onto building sites then personally I would use another cheap vehicle but I'm not saying that everyone should do that. It's down to the individual owner to decide what they are prepared to use their vehicle for and what risks they feel are acceptable.

Our Cali gets used for all sorts of activities and remains in as new condition. That is due entirely to the care I take of it and the lenghts I go to protect it before using it for anything beyond its normal use. I see nothing wrong in going to the builders merchant and hauling a few bricks etc home in our Cali but would make sure that the van was heavily protected first. Any chance of damage being eliminated.

Further more, with the growing millions of vehicles on our roads and the problems that they are causing, I champion anyone who uses their vehicle in as many different ways as possible. That is why I find the Cali Beach such a practical and versatile vehicle. If every family had one then the numbers of vehicles on our roads could be cut considerably. As it is, it's not unusual to find families with numerous vehicles, all with different purposes. His car, her car, works van, camper van etc.

Providing that you are careful and take the necessary steps to protect you vehicle then there's no reason why using your Cali for work should inflict any more damage than kids or dogs have the potential to do. At least you will have more control!!!

Last edited:
Use it to the max, is my opinion. We live in a city centre flat, with only 1x underground car-park space. We use our cali for everything..... the odometer is flying, but the combined savings from not running multiple cars etc, or renting addition parking spaces would really add up for us. So, even with the high-usage.... it still works out the most affordable option to use the cali for everything, and just try our best to keep it sweet.

Use it to the max, is my opinion. We live in a city centre flat, with only 1x underground car-park space. We use our cali for everything..... the odometer is flying, but the combined savings from not running multiple cars etc, or renting addition parking spaces would really add up for us. So, even with the high-usage.... it still works out the most affordable option to use the cali for everything, and just try our best to keep it sweet.
Good for you. Don't worry about the odometer as these vans are made to do high mileage. Better that than some under used garage queen!

I doesn't matter what anyone else thinks Mark, if you need to use your Beach for work, then do it. We may all worship our Cali's but the simple fact is that they are merely a tool. A multi purpose tool that you can use in many different ways. I'm retired so don't use it as a works van but that's not to say that I wouldn't if I wasn't. For me it would depend upon what work involved. If work was something like building or plastering etc and required driving onto building sites then personally I would use another cheap vehicle but I'm not saying that everyone should do that. It's down to the individual owner to decide what they are prepared to use their vehicle for and what risks they feel are acceptable.

Our Cali gets used for all sorts of activities and remains in as new condition. That is due entirely to the care I take of it and the lenghts I go to protect it before using it for anything beyond its normal use. I see nothing wrong in going to the builders merchant and hauling a few bricks etc home in our Cali but would make sure that the van was heavily protected first. Any chance of damage being eliminated.

Further more, with the growing millions of vehicles on our roads and the problems that they are causing, I champion anyone who uses their vehicle in as many different ways as possible. That is why I find the Cali Beach such a practical and versatile vehicle. If every family had one then the numbers of vehicles on our roads could be cut considerably. As it is, it's not unusual to find families with numerous vehicles, all with different purposes. His car, her car, works van, camper van etc.

Providing that you are careful and take the necessary steps to protect you vehicle then there's no reason why using your Cali for work should inflict any more damage than kids or dogs have the potential to do. At least you will have more control!!!
There are any number of trades that could use a California for their work related duties without any problem. When you mentioned bricks I presume you also need a mixer,cement/ballast etc, now that is going to present a challenge in the protection of the rather fragile interior and roof linings. Your van your decision, beware of wives bearing axes.

There are any number of trades that could use a California for their work related duties without any problem. When you mentioned bricks I presume you also need a mixer,cement/ballast etc, now that is going to present a challenge in the protection of the rather fragile interior and roof linings. Your van your decision, beware of wives bearing axes.
I agree. My point was that many things are possible subject to care and adequate protection. In reality, most building materials can be delivered so unless its a small job that particular example won't occur very often if at all. However, I wouldn't see a small knock down mixer, a few bags of cement and ballast a major issue. I certainly wouldn't do it if there was the slightest risk of damage so some plastic sheeting and plenty of cardboard and padding would be the order of the day.

I agree. My point was that many things are possible subject to care and adequate protection. In reality, most building materials can be delivered so unless its a small job that particular example won't occur very often if at all. However, I wouldn't see a small knock down mixer, a few bags of cement and ballast a major issue. I certainly wouldn't do it if there was the slightest risk of damage so some plastic sheeting and plenty of cardboard and padding would be the order of the day.
Oh no way, think ive horrified people by mentioning bricks :-0 im a sureyor so carry tripods and some theodolites, tape measures, etc so it wouldnt be tins of paint, plaster or joinery dust everywhere. Worst i supoose it would be if i was in a farm and everything got filthy including boots and tripods after a days surveying in the rain in winter months (and farms at the best of times of can be very messy) so suppose inside could grt muddy. No actual work would happen in the cali, maybe some emails etc but i work all over the uk, so loved the thought of a nice warm van and having a cuppa at lunch time etc

Oh no way, think ive horrified people by mentioning bricks :-0 im a sureyor so carry tripods and some theodolites, tape measures, etc so it wouldnt be tins of paint, plaster or joinery dust everywhere. Worst i supoose it would be if i was in a farm and everything got filthy including boots and tripods after a days surveying in the rain in winter months (and farms at the best of times of can be very messy) so suppose inside could grt muddy. No actual work would happen in the cali, maybe some emails etc but i work all over the uk, so loved the thought of a nice warm van and having a cuppa at lunch time etc

I think that you would be fine, Mark. I have had worse in mine with no dramas. Most Calis will have had their fair share of mud after a couple of years. Just don’t tell the Long Haired General that I said that.

Having used mine to commute to a major building site in East London, I found that the guys on site appreciate a decent van far more than a flash car.

I was continually being harassed by people wanting demonstrations of various bits as that was what they wanted when they got round to converting their own vans.

I didn't carry materials, only paperwork & having wrecked the interiors of a few landrovers / rangerovers by doing that, I wouldn't want to. Ive already got enough scrapes on the interior trim from carrying awnings, BBQs etc.

I think the Cali Beach would be perfect for your line of work. Presumably your surveying equipment lives in good quality cases so with a bit of padding to protect the plastic interior panels, no problem at all. Also as a warm, well lit place to study maps and complete reports whilst enjoying a brew, I can think of no better vehicle. Additionally it is a brilliant multi purpose family car and campervan.

I agree that the mention of loading bricks into a Cali will horrify some but it shouldn't be an issue. I know it conjures up a vision of throwing bricks into the boot and shoveling ballast in like some form of battered builders van but that's not what I am talking about. One or two bags of ballast or cement on a well protected boot floor won't do any damage.

On a slightly different note I used to be a fire officer, consequently the boot was always full of fire kit, often filthy, wet and contaminated. In addition there were various boxes containing kit and tools for the various roles that I performed as well as several large fitted items including a bulky VHF radio pack. Since I preferred to purchase my own vehicles rather than lease or use the red ones provided, I didn't want any holes drilled in the car or damage done to it by the stuff carried. So I used to design and build a simple stowage system that featured a contoured 25mm rigid MDF base board that fitted inside a boot liner. Various removable plastic cargo boxes were fitted into place so that they couldn't move. Also, after detailed discussions with the Police radio workshops they always managed to fit the radio pack, microphone, aerial, sirens, hidden blue lights and control units without drilling any holes or cutting anything. When I was off duty the radio pack was unplugged and the whole storage tray was removable. My point being that I did this with six successive new vehicles and there was never any damage caused and when they were sold they were all like new inside. I see no reason why you couldn't deal with tool stowage in a similar manner in a Cali.

Last edited:
I think the Cali Beach would be perfect for your line of work. Presumably your surveying equipment lives in good quality cases so with a bit of padding to protect the plastic interior panels, no problem at all. Also as a warm, well lit place to study maps and complete reports whilst enjoying a brew, I can think of no better vehicle. Additionally it is a brilliant multi purpose family car and campervan.

I agree that the mention of loading bricks into a Cali will horrify some but it shouldn't be an issue. I know it conjures up a vision of throwing bricks into the boot and shoveling ballast in like some form of battered builders van but that's not what I am talking about. One or two bags of ballast or cement on a well protected boot floor won't do any damage.

On a slightly different note I used to be a fire officer, consequently the boot was always full of fire kit, often filthy, wet and contaminated. In addition there were various boxes containing kit and tools for the various roles that I performed as well as several large fitted items including a bulky VHF radio pack. Since I preferred to purchase my own vehicles rather than lease or use the red ones provided, I didn't want any holes drilled in the car or damage done to it by the stuff carried. So I used to design and build a simple stowage system that featured a contoured 25mm rigid MDF base board that fitted inside a boot liner. Various removable plastic cargo boxes were fitted into place so that they couldn't move. Also, after detailed discussions with the Police radio workshops they always managed to fit the radio pack, microphone, aerial, sirens, hidden blue lights and control units without drilling any holes or cutting anything. When I was off duty the radio pack was unplugged and the whole storage tray was removable. My point being that I did this with six successive new vehicles and there was never any damage caused and when they were sold they were all like new inside. I see no reason why you couldn't deal with tool stowage in a similar manner in a Cali.
Thank you very mich @Borris That is a great reply, and good to hear how people use these Calis and the versatility they offer. Thanks again!!!!

My Ocean, when required, carries a Leica total station and tripod with camera and other gear under the rear shelf and completely out of sight. That matters when leaving the vehicle unattended. No matter what model the California makes a great mobile office.

My Ocean, when required, carries a Leica total station and tripod with camera and other gear under the rear shelf and completely out of sight. That matters when leaving the vehicle unattended. No matter what model the California makes a great mobile office.
Brilliant!!! Thats great to hear and really looking forward to it be a mobile office, one of the main reasons ive ordered one, a warm place and a desk, just amazing (especially in winter) and because i will sometimes use it for work, will help pay for it! Nothing worse trying to a find a coffee shop in some towns after a survey to use the laptop as parking can be a nightmare and sometimes coffee shops are packed, dont have wifi, etc, so with the cali, will have my own portable coffee shop with wifi (EE 4g dongle), office, bed and breakfast, family camper, adventure machine, ooohhh so excited, only 6-7 weeks left!!

I wish to hell I had a Cali when I was researching in the USA.

My choice of vehicle was a car or a truck so I chose car. Drive hundreds of miles then look for somewhere to stop, log photographs, write pages of notes, make a drink or two, even a change of clothes - especially useful in the Desert.

Not quite what Mark was asking, no heavy duty construction materials involved, but a Cali would have been absolutely perfect.

I wish to hell I had a Cali when I was researching in the USA.

My choice of vehicle was a car or a truck so I chose car. Drive hundreds of miles then look for somewhere to stop, log photographs, write pages of notes, make a drink or two, even a change of clothes - especially useful in the Desert.

Not quite what Mark was asking, no heavy duty construction materials involved, but a Cali would have been absolutely perfect.

Thanks for that, yes, that sounded like a very intereting job!!! Feel your pain with notes etc like my current van, trying to work on a laptop on my 'lap' is such a pain in a small place, so im ALWAYS hunting coffee shops to do some basic work, and the dreaded "yes i found a coffee shop, parkeed up, walked to the coffee shop and it doesnt exect accept card remeber, seeing a Tesco SUPERSTORE on google maps, drove 4 miles to get there as wanted a sneaky breaky, and the SUPERSTORE when i turned up, didnt have a cafe or no where to sit, so remebere thinking "Thats it, im buying a California!!!! :thumb:thumb

Dear All,

Does anyone use there California as a works vehicle?. Im not talking about some emails on a laptop or driving to meetings, im talking about filling it with tools, equipment or even bricks and making it into a proper workhorse and maximising its Transporter van DNA?

Be great to hear some examples, and even better some photos!

I sometimes edit photos on my macbook sat in the van, long term plan is to edit my videos in there too on the road :)

Last edited:
8ce5604996ba265a222c6f59b1eb3bea.jpg

The former owner of my van had a bicycle shop and he used the van for tranport. It shows
I use my van also for everyday driving, moving a son from Praha back home, visiting shows like the British Birdfair (for mrjangear.com) carrying a stand and complete inventory for the stand. It all fits very well.

Back