Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The California Workhorse!!!

I used mine for a few years when I first started as a Self Employed Electrician.
I was surprised the garage had to remove my tools as it was too heavy for the ramp to go up at MOT time. Later a rear spring broke, then a severe wobbling on the motorway revealed both rear tyres failed with the internal structure and I was lucky they didn’t blow out.
After that a bought a little Caddy for work and my California sits looking pretty under the Carport till I go away.
I still have to use it for Tip visits as the staff frown at the works van.

I don't want to offend you or any cali owners, im not saying "its just a van" im saying its dna is based on a van, which is is! I appreciate a california is a amazing machine, hence i have ordered one and also not sayong you have to use it as a van, im asking does anyone use it as a workhorse as well as a holiday machine! I have to work to pay for the cali, im not retired, so wondering if it makes sense to get rid of my current van so dont need two vehicles, which means more money saved, which means means more adventures :thumb

It is my everyday vehicle, used for camping, going to tip, shopping. pick up long lengths of ply. Carry a motorbike. Anything that I can do in a normal van but I have to take a little more care due to not wishing to damage interior. Only "problem" may be that lots of people talk to me in car parks and say "Nice van I wish I had one".

We mainly use our Cali for short camping trips, but it's our only vehicle. Not much 'daily driving' needed as we live in London so usually cycle around. But we also use it to take stuff to the tip, or from the garden centre etc. We are reasonably careful about not getting it messed up, but actually I don't like to be too precious about it - having to park it on a narrow street means it is always likely to get scratched, not to mention my 'co-owner' accidentally dropping a brick on the driver's door (don't ask). We use it for site visits and as a mobile office sometimes, which is great - we need to get good use out of it and I don't want to mollycoddle it too much.

It is my everyday vehicle, used for camping, going to tip, shopping. pick up long lengths of ply. Carry a motorbike. Anything that I can do in a normal van but I have to take a little more care due to not wishing to damage interior. Only "problem" may be that lots of people talk to me in car parks and say "Nice van I wish I had one".
Barbara, "carry a motorbike" piqued my interest. I presume you have a beach, or do you tow? A pic, if possible would be most helpful. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thays a answer that is good to hear. And yes, would very mich like to eat out my works van, if i could of course. imagine on a winter days and cooking something lovley and having a cuppa at dinner time! Maybe even a sneaky snooze! :thumb

Nothing stopping you doing that in a work van. Small gas stove, a box with cups and a couple of pans and some supplies, a camping mattress rolled up, I've seen it done inplenty of work vans.

Dear All,

Does anyone use there California as a works vehicle?. Im not talking about some emails on a laptop or driving to meetings, im talking about filling it with tools, equipment or even bricks and making it into a proper workhorse and maximising its Transporter van DNA?

Be great to hear some examples, and even better some photos!

Good morning.
I use Cali both for work and for vacation and it is my only means of transport. The law allows you to deduct 50% of the cost and expenses. I have no special fittings but a series of boxes that are right in the trunk. When I have to use it for two minutes, it is free. My job is technical assistance in the lifts.
Greetings to all.
Gianni

We've been moving house in our Cali for the last few days. He really is a truly awesome vehicle on so many levels! Plus a useful hotel room while waiting for the stuff (bed particularly) to arrive from exile in a storage warehouse in Ely! Love my Cali. Best place in the world to listen to owls owling all night. Very happy.

Dear All,

Does anyone use there California as a works vehicle?. Im not talking about some emails on a laptop or driving to meetings, im talking about filling it with tools, equipment or even bricks and making it into a proper workhorse and maximising its Transporter van DNA?

Be great to hear some examples, and even better some photos!
Hi
I used my past two cali for work. Electrician
Had a big 2x pull out drawer fitted in boot, with power tools and sockets/lights/etc
Was insured to do it too with admiral, lots of companies won’t insure you as soon as you say you're in the building sector though.
Loved it in the summer with the fridge and my pack lunch:thumb
Both Cali still sold for top money, as long as you look after it I don’t think it matters.

Last edited:
Back