Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The coffee thread

I might give an oomph a try :) good reviews from coffee experts and most importantly it stays hot :)

Ever since we have a Cali, we bring our Nespresso machine. We drink quite a bit of coffee ( 4-6 cups per person per day) We actually bought a second one that we never take out of the Cali. And enjoy it very much. But we notice that often we pay for EHU only because we want to be able use the Nespresso machine. That doesn;t feel right. Also, we sometimes even tend to -not- take the best pitch, because that pitch doesn't have EHU. Just because of the coffee. Now that's plain wrong! :)

I have been searching for a long time, for a solution to make a nice cup of coffee whilst not on EHU for the reason mentioned above and because we want to make coffee when we're stopping somewhere and are not on a camp site. Ideally I want to be able to make coffee without having to boil water on the stove. Turns out, there really isn't a very good solution for this. Sure you can build in a better converter, but that costs a lot of money just for coffee.

We now just make coffee with a paper filter and boiled water right into a cup when not on EHU. It's ok but a bit of a hassle, the coffee never tastes the same and with 2 young kids we rarely get to spend so much time on making coffee. So we almost always end up on EHU.

So after reading many threads I decided to pay for the Oomph 2.0. Will let you know how it works out, when I receive it and have tried it a couple of times.

Ever since we have a Cali, we bring our Nespresso machine. We drink quite a bit of coffee ( 4-6 cups per person per day) We actually bought a second one that we never take out of the Cali. And enjoy it very much. But we notice that often we pay for EHU only because we want to be able use the Nespresso machine. That doesn;t feel right. Also, we sometimes even tend to -not- take the best pitch, because that pitch doesn't have EHU. Just because of the coffee. Now that's plain wrong! :)

I have been searching for a long time, for a solution to make a nice cup of coffee whilst not on EHU for the reason mentioned above and because we want to make coffee when we're stopping somewhere and are not on a camp site. Ideally I want to be able to make coffee without having to boil water on the stove. Turns out, there really isn't a very good solution for this. Sure you can build in a better converter, but that costs a lot of money just for coffee.

We now just make coffee with a paper filter and boiled water right into a cup when not on EHU. It's ok but a bit of a hassle, the coffee never tastes the same and with 2 young kids we rarely get to spend so much time on making coffee. So we almost always end up on EHU.

So after reading many threads I decided to pay for the Oomph 2.0. Will let you know how it works out, when I receive it and have tried it a couple of times.
You need me with my t5 coffee van parked next to you ;)

1F75281E-22E2-4782-B77B-B06A6C109C04.jpeg

I don’t find Nespresso that great to be honest. I’ve tried different capsules - Nespresso, Starbucks and even Aldi’s own version. The coffee is good but not great in my opinion. This has resulted in our Nespresso machine having little used in the last 3 months in favour of instant coffee :eek:.

Neither are anywhere near proper coffee shop quality in my opinion...

And here’s the evidence of my trying to see what all the fuss is about...

I will take these to the Nespresso recycling - another faff of using Nespresso versus other methods if you care about recycling, which I do pretty strongly.

155542DB-C746-4CE0-BA95-25A4E99CD6E6.jpeg

Nespresso is ok in an extreme emergency but the coffee in the pods is often old and stale. When you buy your Oomph make sure you buy some fresh beans that have been roasted within the last two weeks (ideally) you will then never drink ground coffee again

Nothing beats this:

Eskimo24584b_NSwithfilledcup_400x.jpg

It’s all in the beans I was advised many years ago

a good grinder needed so always freshly ground when needed

then aeropress for me

Nespresso is ok in an extreme emergency but the coffee in the pods is often old and stale. When you buy your Oomph make sure you buy some fresh beans that have been roasted within the last two weeks (ideally) you will then never drink ground coffee again
Get an old popcorn machine (a few quid in charity shop), buy green coffee beans and roast your own ....... the smell is as good as the coffee! Use a decent hand burr grinder and you have a great brew.

Agree! We use a Wacaco Nanopresso with nespresso capsules and we find it really quite decent. We really could do with finding a decent method of steaming milk though to be able to make a cappuccino.
No capsules for us. We use ground Lavazza espresso coffee and have the Barista kit to make double shots.

I use a Bialetti Mokka at home, and will be using it in the van. Simples.

At home I get rid of coffee grounds in the sink, no risk.
But in the van, I don't dare to do that.
What's your experience?

you have to have the original I have one of these virtually every household in Italy has one and the coffee is fabulous. There are 2 sizes, if it’s for 1 get the smaller one if it’s foe 2 the larger. https://www.baytowncoffeecompany.com/product/bialetti-moka-express/ Baytown also roast fabulous coffee in Whitby, I like The Bolts. Check the mock out on YouTube 1614243249755.jpeg

)
What's your experience?
get a knock box...its a box with a bar across so you quickly turn the ground container upside down and bang it on the bar and the coffee falls in the box..like magic..lol

What's your experience?

One of the joys of the Aeropress (asides from the quality of coffee it can produce) is that it ejects the compressed grinds as a near-solid puck. Quick wipe over with a piece of kitchen roll and all the grinds are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At home we drink leaf tea, and dispose of it by tipping the tea leaves into a small sieve (a bit bigger than a tea strainer) and putting them in the bin, rather than washing them down the sink. This would work for coffee too, if you don't want to use one of the more sophisticated coffee-making systems.

Back