Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The coffee thread

I’ve tried a 12v handpresso - that was/is good. Pods can sometimes break open making a mess and the machine sometimes goes funny but works again after drying out (probably can call that user error!). The pods are not available in shops but can be ordered online.
This one: https://www.handpresso.com/en/handpresso-auto-13.html

I’ve tried a cafetière but it sort of makes too much coffee and is really quiet messy with all the coffee grounds and used coffee grounds.

My favourite is currently is the minipresso machine. You put the pod in and boiling water and use a handpump to make the coffee. I already have nespresso pods and you can get them in most shops.

What are you using?
This one: View attachment 47894
At the moment, nothing. In previous vans we've had space to take a small Tassimo, but the Minipresso looks like it might do the job :)

I had a Minipresso and I think it's now doing the rounds of Cali owners as I passed it on. It was a bit messy and made pretty good espresso when the stars aligned.

I now have an Oomph, which works a treat, is hassle free and seems to work with most grinds of coffee adequately.

I do also have a leverpresso but haven't used that much as I still don't have the grind right to make consistent coffee. It looks cool, is nice to use and is apparently very good but needs some time investing (like any espresso machine) to get it right.

For me ease of use and consistent coffee without needing to get technical is a must, the Oomph meets this. I suspect an Aeropress would also meet my needs if I didnt have the one I do.

Pod machines are something I can't bring myself to go for just because of the amount of waste packaging from each drink, although I hope they can be recycled? We are trying to cut back on anything that creates too much waste packaging.

Hadn’t spotted that; Always room for another one!

Aeropress

Simple and makes consistently good coffee every time

Also I use a hand grinder (feldgrind) as freshly ground so much better

Aeropress

Simple and makes consistently good coffee every time

Also I use a hand grinder (feldgrind) as freshly ground so much better
Seconded (or thirded after the previous post).

My morning ritual is Jetboiled water and Aeropress before the better half wakes :)

9680A031-F7E6-4F77-A501-7D58BB300664.jpeg

Boil the kettle add 2 tea spoons of coffee 1 spoon of sugar to my I love you daddy mug, when kettle has boiled add the water to the mug and stir.... I have no milk

Ha ha, that's just coffee flavoured hot water.

In the van this is what I do too but at home it's different. Might be looking into something else in the future but I've gone more for tea lately. Sweden is #6 in the world of the most coffee drinking people in the world but I'm a Finn (#1) so with that in mind I'm trying to hold back on my addiction... ;)

Seriously though, if I'd make time to research different espresso-stuff I'd be caught with something in the van too...

Interesting however it removes some of the ceremony of making coffee that I enjoy.

Wifey hates that ceremony and the messiness compared to a tea bag! I can’t give in so easily.

When on hook up:
08850c018b7820fdd4701ace93c233f7.jpg

Krups Essenza Mini

otherwise we go for a coffe
9a84eb895d16118e1799a40a2a1e95d9.jpg

or wait for later
77d7f0cdf695361de305ec490dd11b5b.jpg

Essenza mini piano machine on hook up.
We keep a selection for different capsules, including arpeggio, decaf and caramel.
Really quick, no mess. Fab.
I can't stand stray coffee grinds, ugh.

Last edited:
I use a portaspresso (the compressed air one)

Portaspresso .jpeg

Ridiculously fiddly, but it makes absolutely fantastic espresso, and when we are away in the van, there isn't generally any time pressure so the whole process becomes therapeutic.
Combined with a bellman stove top steamer you can get a great cappucino/latte etc wherever you are!

Green beans roasted at home in a popcorn maker, then in the van a hand grinder and a simple filter.
At home an Aeropress and La Pavoni espresso machine, and hand grinder.267A4D00-A849-4964-BA79-D8C029292AAF.jpeg

Essenza mini piano machine on hook up.
We keep a selection for different capsules, including arpeggio, decaf and caramel.
Really quick, no mess. Fab.
I can't stand stray coffee grinds, ugh.
We use the Lavazza Mio machine, pods as well, makes the van smell fab first thing in the morning. We rarely wild camp so are practically always on hook up whilst camping.

Back