Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The happy, cheery, positive thread

Am off tomorrow to Corsica via mainland France! back in October. Just at SMG having winter tyres put on. Might bump into some of you on route.

DSG 4M 180 2014 with lots of bits and pieces.......

Am off tomorrow to Corsica via mainland France! back in October. Just at SMG having winter tyres put on. Might bump into some of you on route.

DSG 4M 180 2014 with lots of bits and pieces.......

Say hello to Albert for me Isa xx

He's in there somewhere

Do you really need winter tyres if you are coming back in October?

We're off to Italy in a week or so and won't be back until late October. Wasn't thinking I'd be needing winter tyres!

Yup need winter tyres- was in Scandinavia last July (2014) got stuck in a blizzard at the North Cape...that was in my previous Cali. Also nearly stuck on some Swedish side roads which were actually sand- looked perfectly ok superficially to pull off and have a picnic, happened more than once. Even in June you can travel miles and miles of road anyone nearby to help dig you out.
New Cali 4 motion with winter tyres as assessed needed-bought end October last year 2014. Was in Spain via Santander January this year was one of the vehicles that didn't get stuck when it snowed, was in Genoa last October on the way back from South Italy and Sicily, tremendous rain and mud slides didn't get stuck others did... But I had by then put winter tyres on my first Cali.
Numerous other examples as I travel widely now in Europe. Now in Cordica coming back via mainland France but with winter tyres if I need to change route at the last moment no problem don't need to think about it. Anyway it has hardly affected the mpg overall. Winter tyres are more useful than 4x4 if you look at comparisons- even Top Gear people's no names mentioned agree.....

Didn't need winter tyres when I drove to Nordkapp in May this year, even during the Blizzard I encountered.
Winter tyres are good, but knowing what to do is even better!:thumb

If you are swapping to winters now, why do you bother with "summer" tyres at all, why not keep the winters on all year round?

This is just a personal observation, probably unique to me and my many years pushing boundaries in the Mountains and on snow and ice.

Most bodies, dead or alive, that I have picked up off the mountains have died because tragically they were without some bit of equipment, clothing or device that was widely available and easily carried or fitted.

You cannot plan for sods law, that avalanche from nowhere, that slip of a foot, that piece of black ice. However winter tyres in some circumstances can make that difference. Why my vehicles, all of them, have winter tyres from end of October fitted. I might know what to do, does that bloke skidding and sliding towards me know? 30 feet less stopping distance may save my vehicle and bits of me from damage.

Probably just me being over sensitive having spent quarter of a lifetime, often in extreme circumstances, and driving vehicles often in extreme terrain and conditions, and of course being totally mad regarding where and when I go :shocked

Winter tyres don't last so long therefore need replacing more often so overall expense up.

Just wanted to write how happy I am with my California (although it has roof corri-bubbles and is out of warranty and yes the roof sinks first left and then write), it is such a great car and I like to have the possiblity to use a sink and some tapwater!
Have fun with the weekend ahead!
sapto

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

@sapto thank you for reviving this thread :D

We certainly need some good cheer.

Well, this month has seen Albert and I chug through 1400 miles of wet and windy France, mostly Somme then Brittany followed by 4 nights this week at Chertsey cc&c campsite.

Chugging through France was the usual delight, food, people, roads and the vehicle I was driving. Simply brilliant.

A problem developed once home but an on-spec call in to SMG and superb service, problem fixed, on my way again in 10 minutes.

Chertsey was warm and sunny. Was a delight to have BBQ out, awning out, table and chairs out, wine out.

Having some spare time on my hands gave me an opportunity to explore the local area. Within five minutes walk are 3 delightful pubs with riverside terraces, a lock decked out on glorious floral arrangements, a lovely riverside walk, nice "small village" feel to the town centre. Most pleasant.

Yes, life with Albert can be wonderful at times, even setting him on fire had a positive spin of an invaluable lesson learnt and a bit of complacency kicked out.

Thank you Albert for being such a trusted consort again and looking after me so splendidly.

Woke up, opend the window: wonderful!
52b7e052c093f6deb012f113c209dfdc.jpg

Thank to the Cali no problem to stay away so easily.

No long trips this summer sadly - twists of fate abound - but again Herman to the rescue for instant respite... only 20 minutes or so from Cornish waves so many days / evenings by the coast with assorted grandchildren / visitors. Exhaustion in the waves then back for rests / lunches / evening meals in the van.... delighted squealing sprogs 'resting' in the roof bed / clambering up and down while static adults sit under the awning clutching caffeine ..... Four or five hours away feel like days by the time we roll back...... trivial angsts dispelled and ancient batteries revived....

Off the leash, slowly coming off the dopey pills so feeling ready again for a long trip and off to France a week today :thumb

Albert knows: the boxes are being pulled out of cupboards, the interior being spring cleaned, outside being washed and it's all busy-busy.

I feel as though I have grown wings after being caged up for so long.

Mine has been in for more than two months now , we usually not go on trips in the july and august ....
But we are off in two weeks....! Where to i'am yet to dicide up on the weatherpredictions , most chances it will be France:thumb

Weekend is ahead, wheater looks rainy and cold: Where are you going? Bring it on :)

Lake District for the weekend, soon as school finishes. :)
Hopefully Cali this week Loz??

Are schools finishing AGAIN?

Good grief! Was never like this in my day.
Why did you go to school on Saturdays and Sundays :veryfunny
Just off for the weekend Jen. ;)

Weekend is ahead, wheater looks rainy and cold: Where are you going? Bring it on :)
Weather looking good here in Croyde. We're already here but staying in a cottage this time as the family are with us for the weekend.

Might make a couple of stops in the van on the way back though :)

Why did you go to school on Saturdays and Sundays :veryfunny
Just off for the weekend Jen. ;)

:D

For some of my school years, yes, I did go Saturdays and Sundays, in a way! but that's another story.

Have a brilliant, happy, glorious, cheery trip and tell us all about it:D

Jen

We are off to a family get together in Cornwall. Cali is going into van mode to transport a large sofa. not looking forward to lifting the back seats out later.

Back