Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

On the road again ...

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
with apologies to canned heat for the title ....

Sat in a Britstop in Northallerton having finally got away after two false starts :D

Will be in Berwick tomorrow, travelling the Northumberland coast before stopping at my childhood summer home of Roker beach, then The DLI museum in Durham before finishing on the Yorkshire coast.

My sister guessed I was going away today, she noticed that I had my "happy feet" on.

So, pics to follow, big big smile on my face right now, Albert looking very smart in the car park whilst I'm having dinner, a glass of wine or two and a nice nights sleep after 320 miles of driving.

A big happy Jen goodnight xxxx

Not fair , i have to wait another 25years or so on my pension......:confused:
Have a nice trip Jen!

I
Not fair , i have to wait another 25years or so on my pension......:confused:
!

I used to get paid to travel and write about it,

I had big RV's, big cruise ships, big aeroplanes and big limo's to travel in....

Nothing beats the Cali for sheer smile factor

25 years is a long wait .... But think of all the toys you can buy for the Cali ...

Have a great trip Jen, Craster Arms at Beadnell is good and allows stopovers i think. :thumb

Have a great trip Jen, Craster Arms at Beadnell is good and allows stopovers i think. :thumb

Thank you,

I was intending to stop at a Britstop just south of there, Dunstan, but it is only small so an alternative is welcome.

Hope you have time for "Breakfast at Betty's" before you leave Northallerton?

Hope you have time for "Breakfast at Betty's" before you leave Northallerton?

Sadly no, I will not be going into Northallerton town, but I do believe there is one in Durham and I will be staying there ....

In a most exclusive overnight stop :D

The cloistered halls that once echoed to the footsteps of the venerable Bede will now echo with the rumble of Albert's tyres ... Well, ok ... Drama queen strikes again but close to .....

Hell
Sadly no, I will not be going into Northallerton town, but I do believe there is one in Durham and I will be staying there ....

In a most exclusive overnight stop :D

The cloistered halls that once echoed to the footsteps of the venerable Bede will now echo with the rumble of Albert's tyres ... Well, ok ... Drama queen strikes again but close to .....[/QUO

Lindisfarne is an essential for me. I will Never go to Northumberland without having my moments of reflection there.

St Cuthbert does not excite me, comes over as a bit of a misery, but as an historian, and a Christian, Bede is my greater influence.

Sorry Jen
Misprint with first post should have said hello.........not hell

With my memories of driving through Durham "hell" is probably more appropriate

Hi Jen,

I have seen you refer to "Britstop" a number of times in your posts - just googled to see what a Britstop was! Sounds interesting have you found them to be generally good places to stop?

Hi Jen,

I have seen you refer to "Britstop" a number of times in your posts - just googled to see what a Britstop was! Sounds interesting have you found them to be generally good places to stop?

Very good.

Only word of caution, call first. Some are not always open, others can get popular, not necessarily via Britstops.

Brilliant for an "own facilities" vehicle, great for a Cali as, like tonight, I'm squeezed behind the pub in the owners private car park, and it is a squeeze. However this is my 9th Britstop so far this year and no disappointments whatsoever.

Normally food available, a nice welcome, interesting places. Great for the solo traveller as it is often a source also of someone else to talk to. Probably not so convenient if you are a family.

Gran if you get a chance pop into Seaham Harbour well worth a visit to see "Tommy" and then drop down to the marina and take a look around the restored life boat George Elmy. Then Fish N Chips and a Lickety Split:)

with apologies to canned heat for the title ....

Sat in a Britstop in Northallerton having finally got away after two false starts :D

Will be in Berwick tomorrow, travelling the Northumberland coast before stopping at my childhood summer home of Roker beach, then The DLI museum in Durham before finishing on the Yorkshire coast.

My sister guessed I was going away today, she noticed that I had my "happy feet" on.

So, pics to follow, big big smile on my face right now, Albert looking very smart in the car park whilst I'm having dinner, a glass of wine or two and a nice nights sleep after 320 miles of driving.

A big happy Jen goodnight xxxx

It is a long long time since I have listened to any Canned Heat, your comment reminded me of seeing them live at the student union in Edinburgh with Stanley Webb from Chicken Shack joining them on guitar, god am I that old ????????????

.....talking of old. I recently watched a film called "Guardians of the Galaxy" and it featured a Sony Walkman from 1979. First generation and state of the art back then and cost a bomb at the time. Well I dusted mine off and here it is - 36 years old. One recently sold on ebay for $800! The price of them has rocketed due it it featuring in the film. One man's junk and all that. Funny old world really.IMG_1013.JPG

albert lindisfarne.jpg

Albert and I Visited Lindisfarne today. The priory was closed. Cue snotty email to English heritage.

However the castle was open.

I had to remind Albert that although he might have been conceived in lower saxony it does not make him a saxon, never mind an anglo saxon and he is not doing a canute with me. I'm not waiting for the tide to come in.

Gran if you get a chance pop into Seaham Harbour well worth a visit to see "Tommy" and then drop down to the marina and take a look around the restored life boat George Elmy. Then Fish N Chips and a Lickety Split:)

Thank you Ian, I am on my way to seaham tomorrow

My sister calls these my happy shoes because I only wear them when I am about to depart in Albert and have a big grin all over my face.

An old pair of trail running shoes, almost as light as running shoes but with a goretex membrane and high grip sole. When Albert and I go off I never know what I am going to be stepping out on to, Snow, ice, water, wet grass, rock, mud....so they are perfect - if slightly inelegant :oops:happy feet.jpg

Hello Jen

The last time we visited Lindisfarne we witnessed a Spanish family being airlifted from the safety platform by the rescue helicopter in very misty conditions. They obviously didn't realise how fast the tide came in and their hire car was submerged halfway across the causeway.

Steve & Gill

Morning jen Albert looks like he could do with a bath:thumb

Morning jen Albert looks like he could do with a bath:thumb

Never mind Albert, I'm first :shocked

Stopping off for a shower and general tart up tonight, Albert can wait until he gets home unless I can find a jet wash somewhere....

Back