Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The New T7 California can be ordered from today in Germany + configurator.

Why did they need to shift the vehicles? Nobody wanted them? I can’t honestly believe you’d actually get 250 miles out of one. Published range of 257 means real world likely to be 220 in the summer, 180 in the winter. That’s not exactly great. So many better options out there if you want an MPV. Most EVs are around 2.5p per mile but loads out there with decent range. My i4 gives me a real world range of 280 miles. It’s miles better than the Buzz (no pun intended). The software and UI also happens to work brilliantly too.
I agree, the difference between an ICE & EV may be 25p per mile, but when you factor in the savage depreciation of EV's over ICE you are broadly at the same levels or worse off I'd say.

The equivalent petrol to my EV Volvo, cost £5k less new and is probably now worth £5k more than the trade of my EV.

Can’t believe the asking prices of used. With double digit aprs. Makes zero sense to buy. Either buy existing new stock or wait for the T7. Madness.

Update on the Multivan test drive.
Drives like a tall golf.
Absolutely sublime.
No issues with seat height adjustment, knee and hip level (I’m 6foot tall with long legs)
Electric lumbar support in the correct place in the middle of the back (not at the L5/S1 position that a Cali 6.1 is !! Which is just useless as it crushes the base of the spine and pushes in the lower back by your tail bone!)

It’s 100% going to be an amazing drive with a kitchen and manual pop top.
High up driving position.
No right knee dropping towards door and resting against plastic trim.
(Side bolsters on even the life trim were perfect and look to be exactly the same on a style trim)
Left knee doesn’t touch the gearstick column as it’s now a smaller lower box with electric handbrake (Yes ! Electric handbrake !)
Can rest both feet on foot rests left and right,
whilst in adaptive cruise mode.
Going to be a great day van, with ability for couple of weeks a year camping.
Chassis was calm and collected on a spirited drive at 70 mph on an A road.

The amount of T6.1 Oceans waiting to be delivered into VW Hereford are in double digits and I counted 5 waiting to be cleaned and re sold.
They said many people are upgrading to GC, as they have outgrown the 6.1.

Can’t wait for the UK order book to be open.
Cali T7 will suit my needs for the next 3 years.
Adaptive cruise.
Great car like feel drive.
43mpg
(Kato’s will fit right on!)
Fridge for cold drinks.
Night heater for pre warm up/ defrost.
Keeping warm after a walk / day out.
Kitchen to make a quick meal.
Passenger chair easier to turn completely.
No worries about which side to park up and use the door.
Easier access for fridge with awning and chairs out for afternoon by river.
Don’t care about less compartments. Will store less as the amount of kit I took out the 6.1 was crazy and never used.
Dustpan? Why, never used it. Used small brush to brush out dust/sand/grass straight on floor.
Loads of food. Never used it.
Box’s of stuff never used in 4 years.
Also what I like:
Can remove 1 chair and keep portapotti in its space. So always accessible loo.
As the bed will rest on side of kitchen unit and on the other chair.
Also can pull other seat forward on its own and access other box behind back seat.
Did I mention how nicely it drove?
(Don’t care about outside look too much, it’s no T6, with its boxy, instant wave ability feel. But, change, embrace it :)

Drives like a tall golf.
Absolutely sublime.
No issues with seat height adjustment, knee and hip level (I’m 6foot tall with long legs)
Electric lumbar support in the correct place in the middle of the back (not at the L5/S1 position that a Cali 6.1 is !! Which is just useless as it crushes the base of the spine and pushes in the lower back by your tail bone!)

(Side bolsters on even the life trim were perfect and look to be exactly the same on a style trim)
Left knee doesn’t touch the gearstick column as it’s now a smaller lower box with electric handbrake (Yes ! Electric handbrake !)

The amount of T6.1 Oceans waiting to be delivered into VW Hereford are in double digits and I counted 5 waiting to be cleaned and re sold.

Adaptive cruise.
43mpg
Fridge for cold drinks.
Don’t care about less compartments. Will store less as the amount of kit I took out the 6.1 was crazy and never used.
Dustpan? Why, never used it. Used small brush to brush out dust/sand/grass straight on floor.
Also what I like:
Also can pull other seat forward on its own and access other box behind back seat.
(Don’t care about outside look too much, it’s no T6, with its boxy, instant wave abildsity feel. But, change, embrace it :)
Glad you love it . Enjoy . Driving position is a strange thing. A bit of a deal breaker but who finds out before buying? We bought a skoda scala run around and after 2 hours my knee starts hurting. I am fortunately totally fine in the cali.

Even more so when you're 6ft 5in and built like Desperate Dan..

Cali is the least comfortable of our cars. The XC70 is bliss and the BMW comes a close second with the comfort seats. The ID3 wasn't comfortable so I hold little hope with VW seating

I watched the launch video on the official launch day, and then the subsequent YouTube videos, all showing the new California and it's new look. It's an impressive vehicle, and I am sure it will be successful around the work. However, I can't understand why there is only one gas hob ring?

View attachment 125044

I've just had a look on the configuator, in the hope that I could spec the California with an additional hob, but the only one you can add is the additional outdoor kitchen. This is all very well in the summer months, but what about those who intend on using their California all year round?

Personally speaking, I'm not sure the addition of two sliding doors, is worth the sacrafice of a practical cooking area.

What do other people think? Is it just me being narrowminded or do you feel the same?
Yes I agree, can't understand the logic of the two doors and losing some kitchen space.
I do like the idea of splitting the rear seat/bed. If you are just one up then it would be great, leave the right hand side bed down and still able to use the kitchen etc.

Yes I agree, can't understand the logic of the two doors and losing some kitchen space.
I do like the idea of splitting the rear seat/bed. If you are just one up then it would be great, leave the right hand side bed down and still able to use the kitchen etc.
I think the bed is all or none.
So if only 1 seat in, it would have to be the one opposite kitchen.
As the bed will rest on armrest under kitchen and on the bed by the sliding door, behind drivers seat (RHD)

That would be an easy fix though with some 25mm black ply board and hinges. And a single S2S self inflating mattress.

The new design seems to have some compromises compared to the current one. It also has a lot more technology incorporated (inevitable these days). My first impression is that this is more like a 'glampervan' rather than a campervan. I do wonder what conversations behind closed doors happened when the Ford / VW alliance was on the cards (fallout post-Dieselgate? I speculate here!). From talking to a VW Cali salesman, it appears that the California product line might have suffered as a consequence, hence the compromises. Also, in talking to a couple of VW technicians, there seemed to be concerns about the new design, one being overcomplicated technology

I will watch and wait, knowing that I am happy with my current vehicle, especially as I paid just over £6k for the air suspension to be fitted, which has made a huge difference - journeys are far more comfortable, handling is more enjoyable, less road noise, self levelling, etc. (see my post https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/vb-air-suspension.42843/#post-554297). I want to see what teething problems arise and at least wait until version 2 arrives. My late T6 at least had a lot of production problems sorted by then.

Some details I couldn't see in the new design that perhaps others have spotted - is there a wardrobe and a space to the Thetford Porta-Potti?

Drives like a tall golf.
Absolutely sublime.

Adaptive cruise.
43mpg
Fridge for cold drinks.
Also what I like:
(Don’t care about outside look too much, it’s no T6, with its boxy, instant wave ability feel. But, change, embrace it :)
Sounds like the right choice for you. When I've been driving continuously for about 3 hours in my T6.1 I can't wait to stop and stretch. For how long did you test drive it?

@Devaprem: there is a wardrobe but it is smaller than the current one with no space to stow a porta potty. The obvious places to fit it would be instead of the left rear seat, which doesn't allow access when the bed is down, or in the space between the kitchen and left front seat. Neither is IMO a practical solution. Personally I don't care because I use a flat folding loo with a bag and that only in emergencies when I'm parked in a spot with no services.

I use a flat folding loo with a bag and that only in emergencies when I'm parked in a spot with no services.
Thats how I roll.
But in five 2 weeks trips away (mainly France) I have yet to christen it. Public facilities are so readily available. Was thinking about getting a porta potti, but glad I didn't. For #1's I use a pee bottle and empty down the loo the next day.

Sounds like the right choice for you. When I've been driving continuously for about 3 hours in my T6.1 I can't wait to stop and stretch. For how long did you test drive it?

@Devaprem: there is a wardrobe but it is smaller than the current one with no space to stow a porta potty. The obvious places to fit it would be instead of the left rear seat, which doesn't allow access when the bed is down, or in the space between the kitchen and left front seat. Neither is IMO a practical solution. Personally I don't care because I use a flat folding loo with a bag and that only in emergencies when I'm parked in a spot with no services.
Thanks for your comments about the wardrobe and Porta Potti space. I only went on a demonstration drive of the VB air suspension for about 20 mins so it was a bit of a leap of faith. Reading other reports about it helped manage my expecations too. I once had a Citroen GS Club with old gas suspension - marvellous. I was once driving and heard a flapping sound at the back. The car was perfectly level and with no apparent problems. I stopped and found that my offside rear tyre was totally flat! The VB Air isn't like this, though. Apparently it is used in Ambulances in this country

Test drove it on local roads around Hereford, then on a 70mph dual carriageway.
Total drive time 40 minutes.
But instantly felt comfortable.
The side bolsters held my right leg in, and didn’t flop over the side of the chair squab to the door.
The seat width and depth felt so much better.
The height adjuster raised me up so my hip was level with my knee.
Perfecto.

I’m thinking the loo could fit under the bed.
I’d remove the seat next to the kitchen and leave loo there.
The passenger seat will swivel easily in front of the kitchen for a chill and feet up on the chair by the sliding door.
The seats are around 20kg and come out so easy.
And then slot back in really easily too.

In my opinion the worst thing about my T6 is the front two seats, both comfort wise (lumbar like said above) and lack of height adjustment, plus the hassle or turning the drivers seat so it's good to hear that they have improved those with the T7. I still love my T6 but there is always room for improvement :)

In my opinion the worst thing about my T6 is the front two seats, both comfort wise (lumbar like said above) and lack of height adjustment, plus the hassle or turning the drivers seat so it's good to hear that they have improved those with the T7. I still love my T6 but there is always room for improvement :)
Good positive attitude. I like it.
Happy Friday !

FYI: The new t7 'California' prices in euros (Germany)
Beach: 62,689.20
Beach Tour: 67,824.05
Beach Camper: 69,472.20
Coast: 77,839.95
Ocean: 84,359.10
Can be ordered from today in Germany:
Everyone has their own opinion, but he will certainly have his supporters just like any previous one. Personally, I'll stick with our 2022 T6.1 Coast because it's still a pleasure to have, drive and of course travel with it :thumb
. I imagine the awning will be standard in the T7 UK Ocean as it’s been for the previous models.

They’ll try and wring every last penny out of us….

They’ll try and wring every last penny out of us….
Well given the base price was around 40k Euro hardly surprising. The Coast was a bare bones Cali and the buyer accessorised it the way they wanted. That definitely appealed to me. That and the manual bellows.

Well given the base price was around 40k Euro hardly surprising. The Coast was a bare bones Cali and the buyer accessorised it the way they wanted. That definitely appealed to me. That and the manual bellows.
I’m actually looking forward to having a manual roof in the T7.
Going to be a lot faster, unlatching, and standing straight up.
Plus side: no hydraulics to fail.
Still can’t make my mind up about which to go for.
The extra width would be good.
But I don’t want the kitchen out the back.
So looks like an Ocean as I’d want to rear locker.

I agree with the sentiment that until these cars can be viewed in the flesh and driven I'm going to reserve judgement. I've said before that opinions of this vehicle may be different in a few years time.

I appreciate the T7 may not be for everyone, but I do believe it will bring a new buyer to the brand. Not so long back people were commenting that when the T6.1 production run stopped used prices would start rising as no one would want a T7. Well half of that statement definitely isn't the case so far!!!!!
And I pitched the T 6.1 purchase to my wife as a no-brainer. “Slowest depreciating car in the U.K.”

That statement isn’t holding a lot of water right now.

Back