Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The old bike rack question

C

charlesbaron

VIP Member
I need a bike rack for 2 bikes for my T4 California. I was planning on splashing out on a VW one but when loaded it seems that the bikes ride very high and I didn't really like the look of that. It does seem well made though and previous threads seems to show that most members prefer it. I can't find a photo of the Fiamma rack loaded but I think it rides a lot lower. Can anyone tell me if the high fitting on the VW is a problem with clearance and wind resistance? Does anyone have a picture of a fiamma fitted, loaded and unloaded? Sorry if this question has been asked before. I have searched the forum but couldn't find the answers to my questions.

Thanks

Charles :smile

You can see a picture of the Fiamma rack as follows - Jerba Campervans website, go to VW conversions, then to Tiree model, list of extras, click to get a picture.

The picture I think is of childrens' BMX bikes, so may not give you that accurate an idea. If the mounting is too low, the number plate will be obscured, which limits what can be done.

lewis

We have the VW bike rack and it is pretty impressive, but we have not been able to find out if it is okay to open rear door with the bikes on the rack?

The VW service chaps at Preston VW centre, where we bought our van, said yes you can. We do - without problem in nearly 4 years of ownership, though I strongly recommend having one person hold up the tailgate whilst it's open with bikes on. Oh and do remember that you cannot open the tailgate with bikes on when the roof is elevated!

I carry one bike on my VW bike rack. You can lift it with a bike loaded, remember to keep an eye on the handlebars touching the roof if it is raised. If your bike rack us fitted from new then the struts should already be up rated. I sometimes find that the tailgate door will drop down whilst I am rummaging around in the back, of course all depends on how many bikes you are carrying and how heavy they are in the first place.

In practise you can raise the rack with two bikes, but watch that your handle bars are not too long as they could ding the roof. Don't do it with the roof elevated! With four bikes you can raise the tailgate but it's not easy and you have to hold it up! Ok to quickly grab something from the boot with another's help.

Thanks guys. That is really useful information.

Back