The sad demise of cash.

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I recently had cause to find a pitch, on spec. at the CMC site in Castleton.

My credit card was refused so I paid cash. Their machine was at fault, because I used the card about an hour later in town.

The Camping and Caravan Club only take card payments, so I would, as a member, be turned away, as cash payments are not an option.

The demise of cash is bad news allround.

CBDC anybody?
I recently had cause to find a pitch, on spec. at the CMC site in Castleton.

My credit card was refused so I paid cash. Their machine was at fault, because I used the card about an hour later in town.

The Camping and Caravan Club only take card payments, so I would, as a member, be turned away, as cash payments are not an option.

The demise of cash is bad news allround.
To be fair your question is best directed at the C&CC directly.
I take your point about the demise of cash generally however, on a recent road trip around four European countries I found it a pain to carry cash and a boon to flash my phone.

I take your point about the demise of cash generally however, on a recent road trip around four European countries I found it a pain to carry cash and a boon to flash my phone.
Agree generally, however this weekend in Belgium we unexpectedly had problems using our Mastercards at fuel stations, which all seemed to be pay-at-pump only with no kiosk/shop. (We were rallying and under time pressure and would have been stuffed if not for a very kind Belgian lady who paid for us using her card and I gave her cash back).

Maybe we just all need embedded chips in our thumbs and a global payment system. Run by the New World Order shape-shifting lizards of course but not sure if I really care so long as it works.

Obviously you're not aware of people who deal in cash to circumnavigate taxation and those that still claim benefits whilst working for cash.

I know someone who has 150k in cash "under the bed" that he can't pay in as its has never been declared so everything is paid in cash to try and burn through the pile that constantly increases.

Cash is still the king in Germany and it's good to have it. Personally, I would like to have a choice of cash and card depending on circumstances. The fact, that some people don't declare their income, shouldn't be the reason why most people can't pay cash and we're talking about small amounts, not thousands.

Cash is still the king in Germany and it's good to have it. Personally, I would like to have a choice of cash and card depending on circumstances. The fact, that some people don't declare their income, shouldn't be the reason why most people can't pay cash and we're talking about small amounts, not thousands.
With modern phone banking and cheap card terminals it's prefectly feasible to run most small businesses cashless. Ask yourself why so many of those businesses don't want to. Oh yes, of course, they're only thinking of 85 year old Mavis who can't cope with cards.

I should coco.

So tax avoidance , money laundering and benefit fraud .........small amounts will still be fine but gone are the days when you could buy a car or expensive watch with cash......

Cash is also expensive to bank and takes time.

My Father always used cash and counted it at the till even though you clearly could see that he didn't have enough coins to pay the bill. Then he would take all the coins back and break a note and thus have more coins. The process would take minutes compared to simple swipe....and move on

I know someone who has 150k in cash "under the bed" that he can't pay in as its has never been declared so everything is paid in cash to try and burn through the pile that constantly increases.
I once helped a friend bring £200k in cash to the uk from Luxembourg in a backpack, kinda legit, ironically we both worked in banking, but we had a very creative accountant.

I really don’t miss cash.
Goodbye, good riddance. The worlds moved on…

A few years ago I'd agree with you but its not the case anymore. I think I've had the same 50€ in my wallet for months, I pay for everything contactlessly.

I spent three weeks in Norway last month and never saw any notes or coins.

A few years ago I'd agree with you but its not the case anymore. I think I've had the same 50€ in my wallet for months, I pay for everything contactlessly.

I spent three weeks in Norway last month and never saw any notes or coins.
Didn’t visit the right campsites then. Found plenty off the beaten trail that were “ Self Service “ At start of season. Fill out form, form and cash in envelope, place in box.

Didn’t visit the right campsites then. Found plenty off the beaten trail that were “ Self Service “ At start of season. Fill out form, form and cash in envelope, place in box.
Where! In Norway? Mostly wild camped, but even the smallest campsite we used wanted cashless payment. Norway is about as close to a cashless country that you can get, I was told by several Norwegians that getting physical cash was actually inconvenient for them.

Not missing cash one bit to be honest. Also never have issues with (contactless) payments anywhere in Europe using Mastercard (with or without Apple Pay).

There is not a single chinese takeaway in North West Cumbria that accepts plastic.
There are three Fish & Chip Shops all in Keswick that have a cashless payment system.
Cumbria will be the last county to go completely cashless

Where! In Norway? Mostly wild camped, but even the smallest campsite we used wanted cashless payment. Norway is about as close to a cashless country that you can get, I was told by several Norwegians that getting physical cash was actually inconvenient for them.
Were you there in May?

Typically
There is not a single chinese takeaway in North West Cumbria that accepts plastic.
There are three Fish & Chip Shops all in Keswick that have a cashless payment system.
Cumbria will be the last county to go completely cashless
Yep only experienced one so far.... You pay cash, cash only... I've already answered the question. Regular visitor to Keswick but not the Chippys

No, as I said last month, in August. What's the relevance of May?
Campsites commonly open 1st May and are empty. Many use a self service system rather than manned reception. Much quieter and fewer tourists.

Back