Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The sad demise of cash.

Card payments work well UNTIL a power cut or internet outage, due to infrastructure problems or software problems.
Recent outage here, only 1 supermarket and 1 coffee shop continued trading and of course the cash machines were down as well.
Enjoyed my coffee that day.:cheers

Card payments work well UNTIL a power cut or internet outage, due to infrastructure problems or software problems.
Recent outage here, only 1 supermarket and 1 coffee shop continued trading and of course the cash machines were down as well.

Lol....I haven't seen a mechanical cash register in 35years. No power = no power. Cold coffee or just a localised power...........

Most big supermarkets have generators as the material loss from a power cut is expensive.

Lol....I haven't seen a mechanical cash register in 35years. No power = no power. Cold coffee or just a localised power...........

Most big supermarkets have generators as the material loss from a power cut is expensive.
No, Internet down.

In the case that you’ve already had the goods or services, you’ve done the camping, the site can’t refuse cash. It’s legal tender after all and can be used to settle All debts up to a certain value.
The issue arises when you have to pay in advance before you’ve accrued the debt! I’m fairly sure that legally you’re stuffed at this point.

Campsites commonly open 1st May and are empty. Many use a self service system rather than manned reception. Much quieter and fewer tourists.
Ok, but my experience there wasn't just paying for campsites, it was everywhere. After a week of not seeing physical cash my wife googled it out of curiosity and discovered that something like 98% of all transactions in Norway are cashless. It was quite nice not having to get any of the local currency and taking the usual small amount of essential useless coins and notes home.

When paying by card in Austria the machines gave me the choice of paying in local currency or my own currency, paying in own currency saved the small surcharges each time and was really useful

When paying by card in Austria the machines gave me the choice of paying in local currency or my own currency, paying in own currency saved the small surcharges each time and was really useful

Isn't that the case whenever you make a card purchase in another currency? I suppose it might be dependent on your bank.

The generally recommendation is to pay in the local currency as the rate that you'll get at that time is nearly always worse than what your bank will charge you later. You need to be aware that the rate being offered at the time of transaction is not the rate from your bank. A cynical person might say that a purposely over inflated rate was being offered, hoping that people will go for it due to the usual confusion over conversions when under pressure to pay.

Charities would suffer with the demise of cash, no collection boxes on shop counters for the change to go in, and card payments have transaction fees applied by the bank. Plus not all cards are accepted everywhere, American Express is declined in a lot of places due to their high fees, using Apple pay does allow the use of any card, but again not all places accept that form of payment.

Yes, the cloud strike issue was a bit of an eye opener. I had to scrabble around to find notes in an old purse because I rely on my watch

CBDC anybody?

To be fair your question is best directed at the C&CC directly.
I take your point about the demise of cash generally however, on a recent road trip around four European countries I found it a pain to carry cash and a boon to flash my phone.
Central bank digital currency (CBDC) is money that a country’s central bank can issue. It’s called digital (or electronic) because it isn’t physical money like notes and coins. It is in the form of an amount on a computer or similar device

Can the internet be turned off…???

In the case that you’ve already had the goods or services, you’ve done the camping, the site can’t refuse cash. It’s legal tender after all and can be used to settle All debts up to a certain value.
The issue arises when you have to pay in advance before you’ve accrued the debt! I’m fairly sure that legally you’re stuffed at this point.
Yeah but no. "Legal tender" has a very narrow legal definition, it just means the creditor can't sue you if you pay a debt with cash. In practice it's down the business how they charge, in advance or after the service has been provided makes no difference. A good example is all the pay-on-exit carparks that will only accept cards. If you just somehow managed to extract your car from behind the barrier then afterwards took a bag of 2p pieces to their office to pay, they (probably) wouldn't be able to sue you for the debt. But in the real world your car would still be stuck behind the barrier trying to get out while you wail "it's my right, it's legal tender", like some forlorn Freeman On The Land (if you have a mo Google them, they do exist and they're hilarious).

Yeah but no. "Legal tender" has a very narrow legal definition, it just means the creditor can't sue you if you pay a debt with cash. In practice it's down the business how they charge, in advance or after the service has been provided makes no difference. A good example is all the pay-on-exit carparks that will only accept cards. If you just somehow managed to extract your car from behind the barrier then afterwards took a bag of 2p pieces to their office to pay, they (probably) wouldn't be able to sue you for the debt. But in the real world your car would still be stuck behind the barrier trying to get out while you wail "it's my right, it's legal tender", like some forlorn Freeman On The Land (if you have a mo Google them, they do exist and they're hilarious).
Freeman Hardy and Willis went bankrupt, are they related?

1p and 2p coins only count as legal tender for any amount up to 20p.

Wait till they introduce CBDC’s
I think that the Elites played their hand too quickly mate - The game is up, too many now aware and re-educated and pushing back!!

I resemble that remark! Hee Hee

As @pjm-84 says 20p is the max you can pay in twopence coins.

Didn’t realise that you can pay your council tax in thousands of pound coins though, I thought they had a limit too!!!

A few years ago I'd agree with you but its not the case anymore. I think I've had the same 50€ in my wallet for months, I pay for everything contactlessly.

I spent three weeks in Norway last month and never saw any notes or coins.
I didn't take out wallet in Norway even once (hotel stay in Bergen), but I did have to take out cash in Germany in August. There are places with self service machines which operate in cash only.

I didn't take out wallet in Norway even once (hotel stay in Bergen), but I did have to take out cash in Germany in August. There are places with self service machines which operate in cash only.
Totally agree on Norway.

My comment on Germany was not to say it is a cashless society, it isn't. Rather, I really don't think cash is king in Germany anymore. Of course you can still pay by cash but the vast majority of people pay for most things by card. I've lived in Germany for 11 years now and it has changed significantly in that time.

Totally agree on Norway.

My comment on Germany was not to say it is a cashless society, it isn't. Rather, I really don't think cash is king in Germany anymore. Of course you can still pay by cash but the vast majority of people pay for most things by card. I've lived in Germany for 11 years now and it has changed significantly in that time.
Same in Switzerland. Twelve years ago I was using cash all the time. These days it's really really quite rare.

Back