Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Wardrobe - how best to use it

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Not sure which thread this should come under but complete accident I found out that the back wall of the wardrobe in the Cali slides out to become the blind for that "little" window! Video to follow.... file too big.. will take photos when phone charged unless you have seen it all before and I'm just a bit slow!!!!

Was that not demonstrated to you when you picked up the vehicle from the dealers?

Also that slide has a habit of rattling when on the move in the closed position so make sure you slide it back into the wardrobe if you don't want to be driven mad by a vague rattle from the back when travelling :D

PudnBob

PudnBob

Waiting for the OH to retire enabling longer trips
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Was that not demonstrated to you when you picked up the vehicle from the dealers?
Nope! They were newbies to the scene and it has been a bit of an adventure!!!!

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Interesting thread.

I went from using the wardrobe as a wardrobe to:

Filling it with e-bags filled with various items:

Hanging shelves from the rail:

Piling all the bedding into it:

to finally, current use....

using the wardrobe as a wardrobe:D

R

Richard Braun

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We first used it to carry a 25litre fermentation vessel of cider when we moved house. Fits perfectly with room on top for softer stuff. Since then we have just piled in the bedding. Fits underblankets sheets 4 pillows two down sleeping bags and blankets. Why clog it up with shelving which only takes up space.

Darren Hughes

Darren Hughes

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
We've decided the wardrobe is definitely the best place for the duvet and pillows and all our clothes fold flat and are stored in the sliding draw under the rear seat. Underwear, socks and wash bags in the rear locker. Duvalet mattress topper folds and stays on the rear shelf, works a treat for us!

Agnes

Agnes

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
A wide variation in how we use the space in just 3 hours, thank you all.
I have got to make better use of it than I do now as so much of it is not properly used and apart from that I often can't find what I know is in there somewhere.
With the new sink top being split in 3 the issue of where do you put things when making a cup of tea and you need to get the milk out, has been resolved. Perhaps VW will see this as their next challenge.
A permanent long shelf above the kitchen unit solves the where to put stuff while using kitchen problem .

Nick.C

Nick.C

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I like the shelf for a screen across the chair arm rests - seems better than the mount on the headrest that I have seen elsewhere

M

Megan

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We tried the IKEA hanging thing for a while but it was very annoying always swaying when you try and pack in it, so we ended up with the Yes Campervan wardrobe shelves. If you can’t decide to hang on hangers or have shelves they do a half and half option narrow shelves and hang clothes in front of them, but we went for the full shelves and use them all.
These are the half and half ones for the undecided! (bit like chips and rice)
s447612415484798285_p7_i1_w3024.jpeg

M

marchugo

You can even remove the ribbed coat hook bar at the ceiling of the wardrobe, to get some extra height for loading things. Just give the bar a firm push upwards, and it will come free.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

M

Megan

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
You can even remove the ribbed coat hook bar at the ceiling of the wardrobe, to get some extra height for loading things. Just give the bar a firm push upwards, and it will come free.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.
Good idea, I might try that, because we have the full size shelves we don’t use the hanging bar.

Lambeth Cali

Lambeth Cali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Went for the small shelves by Yescampervan. We tend to stuff coats and fleeces in it. It does fill up.
Every morning I have to transfer a lot of crap from the top of the fridge and cooker before I can get at milk, lift cooker top and make coffee. I’m hoping I can stuff some of these wash bags books and night lights on these shelves.
£179 (currently discounted) to get coffee sooner seems a decent long term investment.
Has anyone started a ‘What do you use the overhead locker for?’ thread yet?
I recently cleared ours out. Hardly anything useful in it except a pack of cards and first aid kit.

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
This is my version:
4 of I-type 20x10mm Aluminium profiles attached with double sided tape 2 on the front and to 2 on the rear walls. 16 of 20x20mm L shaped angle brackets with corresponding nut to be fitted on the aluminium profiles to hold the shelves.
4 mdf 10mm shelves, cut and shaped using a carton mock up first, with a bit of trial and error.

Built 2 vears ago, spent holidays with 35+ Degrees Celsius, no issues.
As the profiles sit (with a 20x10mm plastic foot) at the bottom of the wardrobe, the shelves have sort of no weight limit. The double sided tape has/had merely the function of keeping the profiles in place while the shelves were attached (screwed together to the angle brackets). Super solid.

About 50€ for the aluminium profiles, nuts and L brackets, less than 10€ for the mdf.
Made to measure, I can adjust the height on each shelf. I use packing cubes.
When I decide to upgrade I would substitute the mdf with Aluminium, but that would only happen if I really need to save an extra 1-2 kg.

1615065104996.png

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Another vote from me to use it for what it was designed for. A hanging wardrobe. Has amazing capacity for cloths used this way.

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Went for the small shelves by Yescampervan. We tend to stuff coats and fleeces in it. It does fill up.
Every morning I have to transfer a lot of crap from the top of the fridge and cooker before I can get at milk, lift cooker top and make coffee. I’m hoping I can stuff some of these wash bags books and night lights on these shelves.
£179 (currently discounted) to get coffee sooner seems a decent long term investment.
Has anyone started a ‘What do you use the overhead locker for?’ thread yet?
I recently cleared ours out. Hardly anything useful in it except a pack of cards and first aid kit.

Overhead Locker, spare sheets, our Pyjamas (3 people) and a Fatboy.
The main wardrobe we have as overspill. Two rolled up sleeping bags, mosquito nets, high vis jackets (hanging), backpacks and additional blankets.