Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Wardrobe - how best to use it

66tim99

66tim99

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Overhead Locker, spare sheets, our Pyjamas (3 people) and a Fatboy.
The main wardrobe we have as overspill. Two rolled up sleeping bags, mosquito nets, high vis jackets (hanging), backpacks and additional blankets.
What’s a fatboy?

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Volkswagen California sun bathing tool ;)

Auberg-ine

Auberg-ine

Is it an office? Is it a lounge? Is it a camper?
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Ocean= "Very useful 300dm3 wardrobe surrounded by all sorts of stuff including metal body, dressing, wheels and an engine. Oh, and a big vanity mirror in the middle of the windscreen." ;-)
'All seasons/all purpose' it is. So I hang a raincoat, a swimsuit, a polar, and a costume with white shirt (in costume bag). Then there's still enough space to put a 10-in-1 board game box, 2 hammocks, shoes fitting the costume, and 2 packing cubes stacked in front of all this. And some jars fixed at the ceiling.
All that just to hide the safe. ;-)

Last edited:
Lambeth Cali

Lambeth Cali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
We tried the IKEA hanging thing for a while but it was very annoying always swaying when you try and pack in it, so we ended up with the Yes Campervan wardrobe shelves. If you can’t decide to hang on hangers or have shelves they do a half and half option narrow shelves and hang clothes in front of them, but we went for the full shelves and use them all.
These are the half and half ones for the undecided! (bit like chips and rice)
s447612415484798285_p7_i1_w3024.jpeg
Hi, was this easy to fit? I was slightly surprised it has no instructions. Just 5 bits of metal.

Judrop

Judrop

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
After reading other threads on similar subject, I decided to go with these:

https://shop.vwcamper.de/moebelzubehoer/269/einlegeboeden-haengeschrank

varianteABC.jpg

Not cheap but the service and quality are second-to-none in my opinion. They have transformed our wardrobe into an accessible, organised storage area (especially when used in conjunction with ebags or the like). We never used the wardrobe for hanging clothes anyway*, more like a rigid stuff-sack that regurgitated everything whenever you needed a single item (inevitably under everything else).

*Edit: even with the wider shelves fitted, you can still hang a couple of items closest to the door if required.
After reading other threads on similar subject, I decided to go with these:

https://shop.vwcamper.de/moebelzubehoer/269/einlegeboeden-haengeschrank

varianteABC.jpg

Not cheap but the service and quality are second-to-none in my opinion. They have transformed our wardrobe into an accessible, organised storage area (especially when used in conjunction with ebags or the like). We never used the wardrobe for hanging clothes anyway*, more like a rigid stuff-sack that regurgitated everything whenever you needed a single item (inevitably under everything else).

*Edit: even with the wider shelves fitted, you can still hang a couple of items closest to the door if required.
Are these easy to fit??:)

M

Megan

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, was this easy to fit? I was slightly surprised it has no instructions. Just 5 bits of metal.
We had the big shelves and they were very easy to fit, but ours came with instructions, probably no more than 30min fitting them (my husband not I).

J

Jenny H

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Interesting thread.

I went from using the wardrobe as a wardrobe to:

Filling it with e-bags filled with various items:

Hanging shelves from the rail:

Piling all the bedding into it:

to finally, current use....

using the wardrobe as a wardrobe:D
Im hoping to skip the middle 3 trials & use the wardrobe as a wardrobe too!
Guess it may help being a short woman but figure plenty of hanging space for what I need!

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Im hoping to skip the middle 3 trials & use the wardrobe as a wardrobe too!
Guess it may help being a short woman but figure plenty of hanging space for what I need!

I'm tall, 172 (cm not years) some things curl up on the bottom but mostly brilliant for cardies, blouses etc. Pain in the backside getting things in and out but when tarting myself up for an evening 5 minutes of faff is not a great price to pay.

Auberg-ine

Auberg-ine

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
... and then they laugh at me carrying a suit and dress shoes in it .... ;-)

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
... and then they laugh at me carrying a suit and dress shoes in it .... ;-)

You don't ....

Go on, tell me you don't .....

You do? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Edit: Seriously, I have turned up on trips to Albert, Fr, and Ypres carrying an evening dress.

Auberg-ine

Auberg-ine

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
You don't ....

Go on, tell me you don't .....

You do? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Edit: Seriously, I have turned up on trips to Albert, Fr, and Ypres carrying an evening dress.
:cool: see#65. I should add in my subtitle "is it a dressing ?". As I use the van on an almost daily basis professionally, and my agenda is quite unpredictable, sometimes I end up on a muddy site, and then some hours later at a fancy table or meeting. Hence my All Geared concept. Ready for whatever moment!

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
:cool: see#65. I should add in my subtitle "is it a dressing room?". As I use the van on an almost daily basis professionally, and my agenda is quite unpredictable, sometimes I end up on a muddy site, and then some hours later at a fancy table or meeting. Hence my All Geared concept. Ready for whatever moment!

For three years mine was exactly the same. One day plodding over a bog somewhere, next at a dinner giving a talk on one subject or another.