Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The - what you've discovered about your van thread.

D

dominichayhoe

Vehicle
Grand California 600
This forum is such a mine of info, I've definitely learnt a lot here. I've also noticed quite a few questions or mistakes about the way the van operates, mostly to do with the way certain things operate, so I thought it would be great to have a thread where we can all chip in our discoveries!

For me a few things spring to mind.

1. The step automatically goes into camping mode as soon as you plug the electrics in and you can't turn it off from the control panel - makes sense but I don't remember reading about it anywhere and I thought the control panel had frozen on me the first time I noticed this.
2. The battery charger's cable is really easy to kick out from under the passenger seat without realising it!
3. If the control panel does freeze, a quick red button off wait 20 seconds and back on fixes it.
4. I blew a fuse (my fault) but just replacing the fuse didn't fix the issue. I had to cycle the big red nob off for 15 minutes and then switch it back on to give the main control unit time to properly power down.

Anything else anyone can add that isn't immediately obvious?

I'll let you know after I've picked it up next week!

For now your notes are very useful, I've already learnt how to fix the tap / pump, reset the control panel & get the charger working again. So am fully prepared for my first trip

This forum is such a mine of info, I've definitely learnt a lot here. I've also noticed quite a few questions or mistakes about the way the van operates, mostly to do with the way certain things operate, so I thought it would be great to have a thread where we can all chip in our discoveries!

1. The step automatically goes into camping mode as soon as you plug the electrics in and you can't turn it off from the control panel - makes sense but I don't remember reading about it anywhere and I thought the control panel had frozen on me the first time I noticed this.
2. The battery charger's cable is really easy to kick out from under the passenger seat without realising it!
3. If the control panel does freeze, a quick red button off wait 20 seconds and back on fixes it.
4. I blew a fuse (my fault) but just replacing the fuse didn't fix the issue. I had to cycle the big red nob off for 15 minutes and then switch it back on to give the main control unit time to properly power down.

Just a quick response to

1. The step automatically goes into camping mode as soon as you plug the electrics in (you can turn it off via the main control panel ie when leaving the van the step retracts) however my step was replaced due to a fault from new. April 2021.

The heads PIR light comes on randomly I put this down to the heating in that area.

Sometimes the heating turns its self of completely. Truma UK feel its an issue with main control panel.

Roof lining at the joint drooped, opposite heads door, an inherent problem but easily rectified.

The most annoying and frustrating is the window sealing silicon leaching on to the black vinyl and pain work leaving marks in the paintwork that is difficult to remove. VWCC are not interested in resolving the issue. Disgusting.

Would I change it. No.

Just wish VW would acknowledge some of the issues we have and accept some responsibility.

Will

For now your notes are very useful, I've already learnt how to fix the tap / pump, reset the control panel & get the charger working again. So am fully prepared for my first trip
This item Andy will drive you nuts,
The most annoying and frustrating is the window sealing silicon leaching on to the black vinyl and pain work leaving marks in the paintwork that is difficult to remove. VWCC are not interested in resolving the issue. Disgusting.

Great Thread idea, few points to add:

• Close bathroom heater vent at night so light doesn't come on
  • VW carpet set isn't perfect fit and curls up on bathroom (680) appears most are like this so either accept or find alternative.
  • You don't need to turn all the lights off when leaving van as locking turns all Interior lights off
  • The Truma frost protection will trip below 4 degrees so don't fill up water without checking this and resetting. (and for all those moaning on this most motor homes use Truma unit with this exact same unit, its not just the GC plus when camping I would never let temp inside drop that low)
  • The newer models with diesel heating only have one gas bottle connector
  • 680 doesn't come with shower head holder so buy a suction one
I am sure more things will spring to mind so will add as and when

Pleased for you what colour , and what dealer.

Slight thread drift - is there any logic as to which bathrooms have two cupboards under the sink & others have just one bigger one?

Ive not seen inside my van yet so don't know what it will have.

Slight thread drift - is there any logic as to which bathrooms have two cupboards under the sink & others have just one bigger one?

Ive not seen inside my van yet so don't know what it will have.
I believe the early GC's had two but later have just the one

1. The step does go into camping mode and stays out when connected to mains electric hook up, but you should be able to disable the camping mode so the step goes back in when you shut the door. if it doesn't disable on the Control panel do a rest using the big red switch in the electrics cupboard and it should then work again.
2. If you get yellow stains appearing on the kitchen work top by the flyscreen, then you can remove them stain using Jif cream (or is it now Sif), household cleaner cream. I think the stains appear due to sunlight and heat reacting with the glue they us to fix the worktops.
3. The VW carpet is an excellent accessory although the fit around the wet room is not perfect, but I would still recommend it. It is very good quality.
4. I would recommend getting a spare water pump and carrying it as a spare. It's a Reich 19 litres/Min pump. Google search will bring them up. I got one from Amazon for about £55 incl delivery.
5. Remember to move the toilet roll before showering or it will get wet if left on the holder on the back of the cupboard door.
6. As suggested by someone else if you have a 680 it doesn't come with a shower head holder. You can buy a suction cup shower head holder (again available be on Amazon) for about £13.00. The 600 has one as standard.

I love my GC 680 and although there are things that could be better I think the same could be said of any Campervan/motorhome. They are all a compromise but the CG is in my opinion the best option for my needs.

1. The step does go into camping mode and stays out when connected to mains electric hook up, but you should be able to disable the camping mode so the step goes back in when you shut the door. if it doesn't disable on the Control panel do a rest using the big red switch in the electrics cupboard and it should then work again.
2. If you get yellow stains appearing on the kitchen work top by the flyscreen, then you can remove them stain using Jif cream (or is it now Sif), household cleaner cream. I think the stains appear due to sunlight and heat reacting with the glue they us to fix the worktops.
3. The VW carpet is an excellent accessory although the fit around the wet room is not perfect, but I would still recommend it. It is very good quality.
4. I would recommend getting a spare water pump and carrying it as a spare. It's a Reich 19 litres/Min pump. Google search will bring them up. I got one from Amazon for about £55 incl delivery.
5. Remember to move the toilet roll before showering or it will get wet if left on the holder on the back of the cupboard door.
6. As suggested by someone else if you have a 680 it doesn't come with a shower head holder. You can buy a suction cup shower head holder (again available be on Amazon) for about £13.00. The 600 has one as standard.

I love my GC 680 and although there are things that could be better I think the same could be said of any Campervan/motorhome. They are all a compromise but the CG is in my opinion the best option for my needs.
Ah I may have had the hab door open then. You learn something new everyday!

Spare water pump? Has this been known to fail? I've seen the system failing before but it was identified as electrics rather than pump.

Great Thread idea, few points to add:

• Close bathroom heater vent at night so light doesn't come on
  • VW carpet set isn't perfect fit and curls up on bathroom (680) appears most are like this so either accept or find alternative.
  • You don't need to turn all the lights off when leaving van as locking turns all Interior lights off
  • The Truma frost protection will trip below 4 degrees so don't fill up water without checking this and resetting. (and for all those moaning on this most motor homes use Truma unit with this exact same unit, its not just the GC plus when camping I would never let temp inside drop that low)
  • The newer models with diesel heating only have one gas bottle connector
  • 680 doesn't come with shower head holder so buy a suction one
I am sure more things will spring to mind so will add as and when
I'd also say close the bathroom vent 3/4 anyway, otherwise the bathroom gets overly warm.

I believe the Truma frost protection is 3 degrees at the valve location, being pedantic. But yes, almost all vans use this system.

This item Andy will drive you nuts,
To be fair you see these on almost all motorhomes. Fenwick's make a specific black streak remover fluid you can get to help remove it.

Ah I may have had the hab door open then. You learn something new everyday!

Spare water pump? Has this been known to fail? I've seen the system failing before but it was identified as electrics rather than pump.
Even with the habitation door open you should still be able to disable the camping mode on the control panel. If not then try the big red master switch reboot.
I have had two water pumps that have failed in six months. It’s a Reich pump as used on many camper vans/motor homes.

Having had to dismantle my fridge door with a penknife and reading up on others on the road repairs I was thinking I should really get together a proper toolkit for the road to cover repairs from cupboard latches, taps, water pumps, fridges, gas bottles etc.
Along with a spare water pump and some fuses, does anyone have a comprehensive but not excessive list of tools they take with them?

Ive had a Teng. set like this for about 25 years - bought for about £30 in a clearance sale. It lives in the boot of my van. Just add a hammer (for tent pegs), a small voltage tester & a Stanley knife. Its sorted numerous bike, table & electrical problems over the years, along with assembling half the office furniture at work. Have used it far more on other peoples problems than mine.
If my vans weren't covered by warranties I would consider carrying more.

T3867.jpeg

The Truma frost protection will trip below 4 degrees so don't fill up water without checking this and resetting. (and for all those moaning on this most motor homes use Truma unit with this exact same unit, its not just the GC plus when camping I would never let temp inside drop that low)
All the motorhomes with Truma heaters I owned had a dump valve which could be manually operated by pressing a red button (as well as automatic). This button had a hole through it through which a metal pin could be threaded and this pin could be held in place by fixing a clothes peg underneath it, thus preventing the valve from operating.
Maybe more modern heaters don't have this.

I can remember when the top tip was don’t forget to write your name on the freezer pack when you leave it in the camp shop freezer. But now it’s don't forget to clean your solar panel even if you’ve not washed the van. Solar panel! ...........

I believe the early GC's had two but later have just the one
I have a very early 680 ( aug 19) and only one cupboard under sink, not seen one with 2? Additionally it lets water in when showering =wet toilet roll. I have installed a fix using a draught excluder.

To be fair you see these on almost all motorhomes. Fenwick's make a specific black streak remover fluid you can get to help remove it.
Thanks for that, a solution needs to be found as the streaks appear after every time it rains and hard to remove.

Have you picked it up yet if so any photos, you have gone quite.

Back