Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thinking of storing my Cali in my garage... Pro's & Cons

Double oak framed, so no condensation Parked a van in it once on the day it was built..fitted external EHU. (Our new van won’t fit anyway!).

IMG_7388.jpeg

Last edited:
Also am thinking of trying a portable garage /tent has anyone experience of anything like that or indeed a bubble blow up / continuous pressure type, mindful of the issues of damp etc . I have power outside and would be willing to throw some serious cash if it overcame the bird poo problem short of chopping the massive tree down !
I've never seen one of those used outside. The car bubble-type systems are usually used inside a garage, barn etc. They are pretty flimsy, they work just by keeping a constant air flow around the vehicle. I don't think they would withstand exposure to sun and storms.

A more substantial tent type thing would doubtless keep the birdshit off at least. We have red kites constantly circling here but I just put up with some scrubbing occasionally (usually just after I've wahed the van, so that means about twice a year... ;))

Washed and waxed , cleaned all gutters when roof up, checked all drains and gummi pledged all rubber seals on mine this weekend and put in garage probably until March/April next year as probably not going camping again this year (unless there is a freak sunny warm weekend forecast). We used to have 2 seperate up and over doors but was too risky putting any car in due to wing mirrors 15mm away from edges so we got the double roller shutter door fitted. We got this done before we got the Cali so very happy that it fits in (just) I literally have 1 inch spare at the front of the Cali and 6 inch at the back, but it does go in and that’s the main thing

767F4CE7-7EBE-4814-98C1-F02781DD99BD.jpeg

Likewise. I am on a gated linear mooring as I live on a barge but my parking spot is under a huge cherry tree. Bird poo is the enemy and unless it's removed immediately it can etch the paintwork. I have tried waxing but not sure how to deal with imperfections like that .... Any suggestions?

Also am thinking of trying a portable garage /tent has anyone experience of anything like that or indeed a bubble blow up / continuous pressure type, mindful of the issues of damp etc . I have power outside and would be willing to throw some serious cash if it overcame the bird poo problem short of chopping the massive tree down !
Other sizes available

My only comment would be to remove the awning. It's a fairly straightforward task and probably the highest bit?
The awning on a California is not the highest the centre of the roof is. I accept it does look like it is the highest point and may well be on conversions as they attach to the van differently

Likewise. I am on a gated linear mooring as I live on a barge but my parking spot is under a huge cherry tree. Bird poo is the enemy and unless it's removed immediately it can etch the paintwork. I have tried waxing but not sure how to deal with imperfections like that .... Any suggestions?

I used one of those portable 'instant' shed/garage things from machine mart to house my wood chipper and tools as well as some logs in a woodland setting. It was a disaster! created this sub tropical microclimate with condensation running down the inside. I do see other folk with vintage cars in theirs so maybe a good solution if on a concrete slab or something.

Ours lives in a locked integrated garage 99% of the time. Didn't improve the insurance IIRC. It is handy to be able to plug in every few weeks or before a trip. I don't worry about garaging it when still wet as it soon dries out - better than outside - due to the area being well-ventilated and also heated by proxy from the central heating boiler, freezer, laundry etc. It's also great for loading the cupboards etc before a trip direct from inside the house. The awning is the highest point for us due to the approach angle, but not if completely level. I'd love a roller/sectional door when I can get around to it.

We keep ours (and our previous moho) in our unit which has some natural airflow due to the eves and gaps at the top of the doors, even still we have humidifiers in on a timer during the winter

Rodent protection a must, especially in the winter we have a hinged plywood barrier all around the vehicle which works. This was down to experience with our last moho which was damaged by the little blighters

Back