Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Third rail image

E

Enzo.vari

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all,

Some useful stuff on here regarding the 5th seat in the California. Still working through what options I'd like to add. Considering installing the fifth seat purely to make the cali a five seater day to day car and just take it out when camping.

Chances are though, we would have it out more than in, so concerned the additional rail would be an eye sore given the amount of times we will use it. So does anyone have photos of the flooring of their T6/T6.1 they can share? Hopefully I can get a few photos with and without the rail to help me make my mind up. Thanks.

Most of the time it will be under a rear rug / mat or not an eye sore

Third rail
Pro’s - You can fit a fifth seat
Cons - It stick up and makes floor uneven to walk on, it get full of muck/sand. If you put a carpet or rug down the drawer is awkward to open because it gets stuck on it. Doesn’t look as nice. I’ve never had a fifth seat but have heard they are very heavy to move in out and take up a lot of storage space.
Wish I could get rid of my third rail.

Third rail
Pro’s - You can fit a fifth seat
Cons - It stick up and makes floor uneven to walk on, it get full of muck/sand. If you put a carpet or rug down the drawer is awkward to open because it gets stuck on it. Doesn’t look as nice. I’ve never had a fifth seat but have heard they are very heavy to move in out and take up a lot of storage space.
Wish I could get rid of my third rail.
We have a Brandrup folding carpet, super quality, covers all the rails, the drawer opens fine even when fully loaded. The 5th seat is heavy but mangeble by two reasonably strong people. Makes the vehicle much more useful when not on camping duty.

Good morning,

The 5th seat came with our demo California.

I asked the dealer just to put it into the van (not installed just lay it in front of the back seat). As soon as we came home I took it out.

What should not be under estimated is the weight of the seat. I took it out alone and brought it into the garage (where it is ever since). I can't see how practical it is to install and uninstall very often the seat. Because it is so heavy I imagine that most of the people won't go throught this install and deinstall process very often.

Regards,
Eberhard

Good morning,

The 5th seat came with our demo California.

I asked the dealer just to put it into the van (not installed just lay it in front of the back seat). As soon as we came home I took it out.

What should not be under estimated is the weight of the seat. I took it out alone and brought it into the garage (where it is ever since). I can't see how practical it is to install and uninstall very often the seat. Because it is so heavy I imagine that most of the people won't go throught this install and deinstall process very often.
One or two extra seats go in and out of our Beach like a yo-yo. It is a little awkward, but not so bad that I would even consider a 7 seat Caravelle as a second vehicle. A family of four, we often have grandparents and/or an au pair to transport about, but like the extra space with the seats removed when we are just four or five.

Back